Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
Hammerless-12

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Turning off the AFM on 2012 L99

Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2012 Camaro SS with the 6.2L engine. I love the car it just seems like I have to really push the gas pedal way more than I normally do with my other (older) vehicles to get the darn thing to move out. Then when it does grab hold, oh my she really grabs. Just doesn't seem like there is much in between. Kinda a pain when all I want to do is pass a car on the interstate. I purchased this car used. Although it only has 18000 miles on it and one other owner. It is just like new. Never modified in any way. So is this normal? Also with the AFM I don't really understand all this stuff, but would my car run better with the AFM turned off? If so how can this be done. Will this void my warrenty? I'm totally old, but new to the Camaro as well as this sight, so have mercy on me please. I love reading all you guys info on here. Thank you.
Hammerless-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
I don't have this issue on my 2012 2SS. It accelerates fine without that lurching you describe.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
The AFM on the L99 is bloody awful I found. I used a Range AFM Delete for a year but then decided to have my L99 tuned by Dynosteve. Yes it can put the warranty at risk so if you tune be mindful of that......

On the other hand cylinder deactivation can cause oil burning problems after the warranty ends so pick your poison. I chose to have the car GM should have made me and I'm really liking that!

I still need to put my foot into it some to go fast but when it does holy!!! But the car is so much more responsive now and is a different animal overall.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:10 AM   #4
Hammerless-12

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Thank you for your response's. I guess I need to think this over. I will probably have her tuned. Im not sure who in my area (central Iowa) does that sort of thing. Or do I need to purchase a tuner and do it myself. Thanks again.
Hammerless-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
qcman

You are wise to pause and think about it... that's what I did and I decided to go the route I did after much thought and PMing some other members who had their cars tuned. One of them by Dynosteve...

I purchased an SCT X4 handheld tuner from him. Once you receive it you upload the cars stock tune and email it to him and he modifies it and sends it back. You then then upload that back up to the car and that's it! Takes maybe 10-15 minutes I'd say on either end.

Steve did 2 more subsequent tunes to my Transmission (no charge!) as the first tune was just too intense for my personal tastes. So he softened a few shift points to my liking and the car is really great!

I can tell you the L99 is a whole other car tuned and might be the best bang for the buck upgrade for it. And of course AFM is off full time and fuel economy is scarcely any worse.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerless-12 View Post
Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2012 Camaro SS with the 6.2L engine. I love the car it just seems like I have to really push the gas pedal way more than I normally do with my other (older) vehicles to get the darn thing to move out. Then when it does grab hold, oh my she really grabs. Just doesn't seem like there is much in between. Kinda a pain when all I want to do is pass a car on the interstate. I purchased this car used. Although it only has 18000 miles on it and one other owner. It is just like new. Never modified in any way. So is this normal? Also with the AFM I don't really understand all this stuff, but would my car run better with the AFM turned off? If so how can this be done. Will this void my warrenty? I'm totally old, but new to the Camaro as well as this sight, so have mercy on me please. I love reading all you guys info on here. Thank you.

Hello and Welcome,

With your mileage I would suggest starting with fluid changes front to back then your starting fresh.

Then to address your driveability concern Jannetty Racing is the leader in custom remote tuning via the SCT X4 device.

I can promise you the car you thought you bought and then some with Perfect throttle response, driveability and transmission performance.

AFM is basically 4 cylinder mode where the computer shuts down 4 of the cylinders, We turn this off in all of our tunes Standard.

The tuner stores the factory tune on the device so you can return to stock any time you like.

Having tuned over 4000 Members Gen5 camaros I have never heard of a case of a warranty getting voided.

Ask around about JRE Custom tuning.

Thank you
Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
BillGalina

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS Crystal Red Tint
Jennetty turned and loving it

\
BillGalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
Vintendo

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convert
what exactly would be a situation where your warranty would be voided if I got a custom tune?

im so on the fence cause I want to get a hypertech to adjust the torque and the shift firmness but don't want to lose my warranty (purchased an extended warranty )
Vintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintendo View Post
what exactly would be a situation where your warranty would be voided if I got a custom tune?

im so on the fence cause I want to get a hypertech to adjust the torque and the shift firmness but don't want to lose my warranty (purchased an extended warranty )
I don't know what a Hypertech is so I won't comment on it. It is widely accepted here that the SCTX4 is likely the best remote tuning option as the main tuning folks always go to that first. I suppose Diablo might come 2nd?

What can happen is if you blew your engine or trans GM can request a flash count from the dealer supposedly. And if there are say more than one flash instance then they will see that the ECM has been written to after the car was manufactured.

If your warranty was from a third party say other than GM I doubt they would know about this situation I mention. And please note what I'm saying here is what I have read not what I know to be a fact buts its been widely stated.

And tuning seems to be very safe many of us have done it and swear by it. But it is your car and your comfort level so do what you feel right with. I've been tuned for just shy of 2 years and no issues at all.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #10
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Get an SCT X4 from one of the above forum sponsors, that is a good way to go and you can just retune if you upgrade anything that would require a tune.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
+1 for a SCT tune by RDP DynoSteve, I love my tuned L99

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
Throttle response appears to be a week point of the factory stock cars. I was somewhat disappointed in my '11 bought second hand with only 9700 miles. I did 4 different things, and each one made the car better. Finally the tune was the biggest improvement. Below is a list of what made my car into a rocket ship:

1) No one mentioned this possibility... But if you or the previous owner was running 87 or 89 octane fuel, the ECM automatically adjusts the timing table to a much less advance setting in order to protect the engine from knocking. However, if you decide to run 93 octane, the table WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY RETURN TO A HIGHER ADVANCE.
To return to the higher advance table, run at least one full tank of 93 octane, the do the fuse pull ( look up the thread or sticky) , but you pull 2 fuses under the hood for a few hours.
This allows the ECM to reset to the higher octane table.
2) I added a cold air intake from CAI and the scoop with windshield washer relocation kit. You could actually feel it in the seat of your pants.
3) I added Long tube headers. Man you could really feel the improvement in the seat as well.
4) finally I went with the emailed tune from Dyno Steve, via the hand held tuner. WOW, I WAS BLOWN AWAY WITH THROTTLE RESPONCE AND SHIFT POINTS! This was the last thing I did and it was the most notable. However, I don't know how the tune feels without my other mods. But many report that the tune alone woke their car up.

If you don't want to invest much. I would at least do the 93 octane and fuse pull. If that didn't wake it up, I would then go to the tune.
Good luck
Oh one final thing, make sure your intake port butterfly is clean and not gunked up, as that affects throttle response as well.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #13
Camedo

Drives: Camaro ss 2ss
Hi I just bought a 12, I’ve run 1/2 tank, 93, going to run another half, and pull the 5&20.
I have automatic. I got behind a Maibu yesterday, had a tag 500HP 68,.......so I was wondering, he must’ve been too. He shot around the car in front of us, I followed suit, open road, he was gone. I had my foot into it but couldn’t keep up. Hit another light, decided 1st. M time, made sure I was in 1st, go time, 1st, 7G, 2 bang, 3 bang, well well, I had a blue Malibu in my mirror. Is manuel that much faster? Also, what do I need to do to run E85? Do I tune and then do coldair or vs versa, I’ll have to wait on exhaust. I’m old too. Trading the old language, 750 double pumper, for cold air induction. I like it. Especially putting that Malibu behind me. Sounds like it will get better.
Camedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camedo View Post
Hi I just bought a 12, I’ve run 1/2 tank, 93, going to run another half, and pull the 5&20.
I have automatic. I got behind a Maibu yesterday, had a tag 500HP 68,.......so I was wondering, he must’ve been too. He shot around the car in front of us, I followed suit, open road, he was gone. I had my foot into it but couldn’t keep up. Hit another light, decided 1st. M time, made sure I was in 1st, go time, 1st, 7G, 2 bang, 3 bang, well well, I had a blue Malibu in my mirror. Is manuel that much faster? Also, what do I need to do to run E85? Do I tune and then do coldair or vs versa, I’ll have to wait on exhaust. I’m old too. Trading the old language, 750 double pumper, for cold air induction. I like it. Especially putting that Malibu behind me. Sounds like it will get better.
Hello and Welcome,

A JRE custom tune will transform your car in to the car you thought you bought.

The automatic cars especially respond well to our custom tuning.

JRE offers a buy parts from me get tunes for those parts FREE program when purchasing and SCT X4 tuning device.

Give us a call 203-753-7223 you can speak with me directly if you so choose.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote