Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #43
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Not that this should account for 100whp, but my exhuast should flow much better than yours. I have the 2 inch primaries with 3 inch collectors, absolutley no restrictions in the exhaust path. No cats, 3 inch x pipe, and 3 inch straight through magnaflows.

Are you sure your valvetrain is correct?
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #44
eLeSthree

Do you have access to your tune file? Is it hp tuners?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #45
ARrado15

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I don't have access to my file. Next tune I get I will be getting a handheld tuner just so I can look at it... And valvetrain should be kosher. New springs, push rods, and retainers. I do have valvetrain noise but I've deemed it normal... I know the dyno is just a tool so hopefully I can get some 1/4 mile times to see what it's actually doing.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #46
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Its easy to see that this needs to spin waaayyyyy higher than 5800. There is your missing power. 6500 should see a good 30-40rwhp increase. Your tuner aint good.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #47
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
Its easy to see that this needs to spin waaayyyyy higher than 5800. There is your missing power. 6500 should see a good 30-40rwhp increase. Your tuner aint good.
and +1 on this...hard to read the pic...you should be able to spin to 6800...heck I go 7k at will...run that sucker....peace out
Old 03-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #48
eLeSthree

I agree that it should spin higher, but there is still something wrong with that torque curve. I looked at half the charts in the ls3 dyno thread and not one peaks that low.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #49
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
I agree that it should spin higher, but there is still something wrong with that torque curve. I looked at half the charts in the ls3 dyno thread and not one peaks that low.
that's why I was wondering about the cam timing...It just has that look like it's advanced..

btw - just found a dyno graph on Lunati that had the 5250 the same as this dyno chart...with their Boot legger cam...the gm hot cam 5250 was 340 vs 370...go figure..
Old 03-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #50
ARrado15

Yea I don't see how it would have been even a degree off. I mean I aligned that sucker right at 12 and 6. It would suck pulling the whole front end off just to check the timing marks... maybe one day i'll get a larger cam :P
Old 03-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #51
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
That smoothed dyno chart looks like crap, no way its near accurate and the smoothing really shows the trouble is hidden and that's not your torque curve most likely tweaking it would be much different on another dyno.

This is SAE on my 13 with just long tubes HFC, CAI with scoop, and the old tsp 235/239 cam .639/.623 and 112 LSA. The data unsmoothed, car has electric power steering and NPP, correction factor for about a 70 degree day/ humidity etc considered with a remote weather station hooked up, tuner is the best around here with two electrical engineering degrees in old work for Boise Cascade, he also uses the stock GM software dealers use he acquired along with the HP tuning. BTW he charges about $550 for a couple hours and has a waiting list months long.... Good Luck SAE versus STD is 15 hp or so, and SAE is what is the gold standard those that use STD are idiots, or deliberately misleading, and not just anyone is good at tuning .
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #52
Russell James

Drives: two 5ths and a 1st
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrado15 View Post
Yea I don't see how it would have been even a degree off. I mean I aligned that sucker right at 12 and 6. It would suck pulling the whole front end off just to check the timing marks... maybe one day i'll get a larger cam :P
Timing marks might be lined up, but was the cam degreed/checked? Aftermarket parts on top of aftermarket parts, I would be very surprised if it's degreed in to the exact cam card specs.

I ran into that recently with a friend who's engine seemed lazy on the low end and ripped with crazy power up top. When it should have been a mid range cam. Set up a dial indicator and degree wheel, cam was off by at least 4 degrees even though it was installed straight up. Same problem... aftermarket parts on top of aftermarket parts. They fixed it with an adjustable position timing gear.

I think you can get away with not degree checking a cam, if the cam was cam doctored. And if OE timing gears used. ie a C5R chain on OE Chevy cam gears. Less likely then to be stacking up aftermarket variations.

Just a guess, and plenty of other things can cause a power issue. But if the tq curve is way off, good idea to check the #1 intake valve events against the cam card. If the timing mark dots were off, you'd probably have lunched the engine. Its the couple degree variations is aftermarket stuff that screws up the tq curve... assuming tuning is correct.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #53
ARrado15

Yea I'm not sure. I want to atleast get a good tuner to check out my tune before anything... Just don't want to pay another 5-600 to be told everything's good
Old 11-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #54
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
just a late adder
Talked with Howards cam about this asa cam 197715-10 they have a specific part come up for springs mentioned above and pushrods 95018 it is a 7.4 length so very interested if some one got a longer measurement?
spoke with a shop with lots of builds up here and stated they have used stock push rods in up to 1000 hp builds...
JPSS Blackmagic 32mm rear swaybar caster locks and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body Cold Air Inductions c.a.i.MightyMouse Catch can Solo High Flow cats JBA silver shorty headers, npp short throw shift and lifetime xm3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings Verona XO wheels/ccs sp16a track set, mild to wild, acs ground effects
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote