Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #253
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Yup , he brings the truth for the one minded ppl!
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #254
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Why does it matter if it can "host" a platform like the Z/28? What matters is what is in the car now and it's not a Z/28.

Also depends on the situation. I think it would be quite entertaining in itself to keep up with a car that typically isn't in the class of cars that your's is in...I.E. sleepers. If you smoke an Accord in a Camaro, it's expected. However, the other way around will sure bring up a bunch of WTF?!?!?
It'd be fun to smoke a Camaro in a jet powered wheelbarrow, but not more fun to drive.

An Accord is designed around a bottom line, mass appeal, and tailored to highest volume model. You may have a fast Accord, but it's still an Accord. Or, wait, are you borrowing your mom's Accord. I can't tell them apart (I kid).

With the V6 Camaro, the reason why the platform matters is you have something you know is designed to handle more than you can give it, so you can comfortably push it, and it's very stable at high speed highway driving. You get all the design benefits of a car that costs much more, not paying more to drive a faster version of car not designed with performance in mind.

Look at the MazdaSpeed3. You take a car designed to be small and economical, drop in as much power as you can, and you have torque steer that is sending people into guardrails.

Also, your view seems centered around racing people in a sleeper...which is not something that interests me. So, since I wouldn't be "smoking" Camaros at street lights, I'd just be sitting there, driving an Accord.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #255
NJScorpio

Quote:
I never said that V6 is bad. All I'm saying is that the title of the thread does hold some truth. Like someone said earlier. I suppose performance is subjective. IMO, 14's in the quarter just isn't fast. Some others may feel that it is.
Oh, I agree that there is some truth to the statement.

I just took issue with the "no" oart...it's like I said prior, "All show and some go"
Old 09-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #256
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
"All show and no go."

Funny...people don't say that about my 1LS.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #257
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLS3 View Post
So the corvette isn't even a sports car because it's a chevy.. That's the point your trying to make?

And what do you call a camaro with 600hp race tuned?
There are lots of people who don't feel the Corvette is a sports car because of its size, at least not the first few generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLS3 View Post
So performance and fuel saving exist in your reality?
Because in my world it's one or the other. Which is why I have this for weekdays 38mpg is fuel economy son. Fuel economy during the week performance for the weekend.
I see his point on this. He probably can't afford a second car and doesn't want a grocery getter. I drove a 71 Barracuda to school, but when I finally got tired of dealing with dding a hot rod ended up buying a Ford Ranger for the commute. He doesn't want to do that, so he chose a car in the middle.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #258
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Why does it matter if it can "host" a platform like the Z/28? What matters is what is in the car now and it's not a Z/28.
What matters is that the basic goodness of the platform is there if/when you decide to add in more performance on your own.

Incidentally, it's a rather narrow view to look at straight line acceleration as the only measure of a car's performance. I won't go into detail here, but I'd choose to own a 14 second car equipped a certain way over a 12 second car identically equipped except for one difference. Every single time.

Quote:
Also depends on the situation. I think it would be quite entertaining in itself to keep up with a car that typically isn't in the class of cars that your's is in...I.E. sleepers.
I can sort of agree with this, except that I'm a whole lot more impressed when I can keep up with supposedly more capable cars on a road course. Just a few seconds at a time of mindless right-foot-to-the-floor doesn't do much for me, and apparently not for NJScorpio either.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #259
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspolo View Post
Wow 10 pages.
no...11 soon to be 12 pages of nothingness

from the OP upset his car was called slow. to the typical V6 vs V8 debate. then we spent yesterday on the classification of the Camaro being a sports car or not. then the embarrassing debate on which is faster between a Camry or V6 Camaro. followed by convincing each other what is considered "fast" anymore now.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #260
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
no...11 soon to be 12 pages of nothingness

from the OP upset his car was called slow. to the typical V6 vs V8 debate. then we spent yesterday on the classification of the Camaro being a sports car or not. then the embarrassing debate on which is faster between a Camry or V6 Camaro. followed by convincing each other what is considered "fast" anymore now.
I'm new here, so don't know how things really run, but don't mods usually come in by now and close the place down?
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #261
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post
I'm new here, so don't know how things really run, but don't mods usually come in by now and close the place down?
maybe trying to set a record for most topics and pages in a single thread ever?
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #262
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
maybe trying to set a record for most topics and pages in a single thread ever?
Topic #72: What warrants a thread being closed by a moderator?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #263
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Topic #72: What warrants a thread being closed by a moderator?
It deserved to be closed on day one
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #264
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squillo View Post
It deserved to be closed on day one
Because?

EDIT: I mean, I get that the subject of V6 vs V8 has been beat to death on this board, but that isn't what this topic was about (per se).

It was about a comment from a non-owner...and I think it actually sparked an interesting discussion about what qualifies as "no go".
Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #265
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
All we need now is a hybrid underpowered V8 in the Camaro then WE can all have someone to bash. Man I wonder what the V8 vs V6 threads would look like then.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #266
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
The difference between the V6 & V8 for me is the amount of jail time I don't serve. Love my Camaro, handles the road really well and gets to the speed limit in a hurry.

I don't really care what anyone else thinks about it.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote