Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
American Racing Headers with ARK DT-S Videos

Here are some videos my wife took of my car. She tried to hold the camera still for the first video, but 2 dogs wanted to explore. It has the following setup:

Cold Air Inductions Inc Intake
RX Ported Throttle Body
MACE Plenum Spacer
RX Black Ice-olator
American Racing Headers with High Flow Cats
ARK DT-S

Hard Launch and Drive by. I heard the tires breaking loose in my car, but I can't hear it on the video. Traction Control didn't like this.

Cold start and then revving to 4k RPM's (0:38 for the rev's).

If you are interested, here is what my wife's Mustang V6 with a Borla ATAK sounds like during the same weather and with the same camcorder. I put URL short cuts, but its putting the previews up instead.

Hard Launch (our new puppy makes an appearance, you can see her in the Camaro)

Idle and Rev, but she rev'd it up to 6k with her stock tune on an automatic. It actually hurt my ears when she did that.

Would be interesting to see what an ATAK system would sound like on a Camaro.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
MagnumForceGB

Ok, I tried, but I can not remove the videos of my wife's Mustang. I just wanted them as shortcuts, not embedded videos. Just for the record though, my wife likes Camaro owners better.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
The atak sounds great at idle and revving but it sounds raspy launching. I'm sure it sounds better in person. The DT-S seems a little more muted running behind the ARH/HFC combo vs. SW/HFC DT-S combo. Interesting. I like them both though. Huge fan of a good breathing DOHC six. I wish you would have revved the Camaro like the Stang. The Camaro sounds deeper at idle.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
The atak sounds great at idle and revving but it sounds raspy launching. I'm sure it sounds better in person. The DT-S seems a little more muted running behind the ARH/HFC combo vs. SW/HFC DT-S combo. Interesting. I like them both though. Huge fan of a good breathing DOHC six. I wish you would have revved the Camaro like the Stang. The Camaro sounds deeper at idle.
Thanks. The ATAK is very loud but it is raspy. My wife loves it so thats what really matters.

I think the ARH design makes the difference in the sound, its weird what a few bends will do. I'll see about revving it like hers. I can rev it that high as long as I don't keep it at that RPM for long, right?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'll have to to throw this on the sticky.

Sounds good Magnum...gotta love that ARK setup.

I have always thought that the OBX/BBK/SW long tube headers had a different type of sound to them versus the ARH headers. Whereas the others add more rumble/growl (whatever you want to call it) to the exhaust note, the ARH seem to retain more of a smoother note, closer to a car without headers.

Of course, in person is always better, but I've noticed it over multiple videos of ARH compared to other header brands.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
gonna have to admit your wife's car sounds better
Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
kenkartasasmita
COTW [4/23/12]

Drives: Camaro Of The Week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe View Post
+1

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession

2010 Camaro V6 1LT | Kooks Catback Exhaust + MBRP exhaust tips | TF3 Stripes | GM Transformers Emblem and Door Sill | Stillen splitter | GMX rear diffuser | K&N CAI | Pulstar iridium spark plugs. | Gm High Wing Spoiler | BBK LT Headers | BMR 4 Point Strut Bar | BMR 1" Lowering Springs | ZL1 Side Skirt | Black Ice-olator | Trifecta Tune |

My Build Thread
kenkartasasmita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I'll have to to throw this on the sticky.

Sounds good Magnum...gotta love that ARK setup.

I have always thought that the OBX/BBK/SW long tube headers had a different type of sound to them versus the ARH headers. Whereas the others add more rumble/growl (whatever you want to call it) to the exhaust note, the ARH seem to retain more of a smoother note, closer to a car without headers.

Of course, in person is always better, but I've noticed it over multiple videos of ARH compared to other header brands.
Its kind of what I was shooting for, I liked the way they sounded at high RPM's. At least we have options, hate it for the LFX guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkartasasmita View Post
+1
Wife beats me in car shows and now she beats me in exhaust threads. Only place I seem to win is at the track. We actually were planning on getting the borla touring till our neighbor pissed us off, so we went with very loud. The Mustang doesn't have any resonators in the exhaust system and looks like just 1 cat per side. We are thinking about getting BBK longtubes with cats on her car now. It will sound like this (1:10 is when the video shows the BBK with Borla ATAK)

Old 08-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
KMPrenger

Your wife's car has a very mean sound, but I don't think it sounds better.

Can't watch that video of the LT'd mustang here at work, but I've seen other videos of the newer mustangs with the BBKs paired with an already loud exhaust and it is just honestly TOO much. Very loud, raspy and overbearing lol....but maybe you like that sorta thing

I'd like to see what a newer mustang V6 with LTs and a tame exhaust sounds like, but so far I've heard a few LT setups on the newer mustang V6s and haven't liked them as much as the LT Camaro V6s.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Its kind of what I was shooting for, I liked the way they sounded at high RPM's. At least we have options, hate it for the LFX guys.

Wife beats me in car shows and now she beats me in exhaust threads. Only place I seem to win is at the track. We actually were planning on getting the borla touring till our neighbor pissed us off, so we went with very loud. The Mustang doesn't have any resonators in the exhaust system and looks like just 1 cat per side. We are thinking about getting BBK longtubes with cats on her car now. It will sound like this (1:10 is when the video shows the BBK with Borla ATAK)

The stock mufflers sound a lot better with your setup.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
MagnumForceGB

Posting this video of my wife's Mustang with BBK Longtubes w/ HFC and Borla ATAK so KMPrenger can say its raspy.

I cuss after the first rev because its loud. At least people get out of her way in traffic though.

It shaved over 0.5 seconds off her quarter mile and gets up to 99 mph with her 2.5 seconds 60' time.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Wow that is very mean lol. A bit much for me but if your wife likes it that is great! I do love the growl. Something I wish I had more of.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Wow that is very mean lol. A bit much for me but if your wife likes it that is great! I do love the growl. Something I wish I had more of.
She loves it, suprised her the first time it started. Then we took it to the track and loved the speed it brought. Only problem we had was that she would leave out of our driveway pretty hard and our next door neighbor said her walls were shaking from it. She told my wife to stop acting like there is a Christmas tree at the end of our driveway. This neighbor used to drag race also though when she was younger, not the one we have problems with (though he runs into his house when my wife's car starts up now).

Starting to wonder if her car will tone down a little bit after a few thousand miles though. Also curious what my exhaust would sound like if the ARK DT-S front section with the resonators and X-Pipe were replaced with an X-Pipe at the front and no resonators.

Here is a video from the track. Wife was racing a truck so I was 2 rows behind her about to race a Mazdaspeed 3. You can hear her car almost all the way through the 1/4 mile. The deep exhaust note isn't mine either, wish it was though.

I need to get more videos of mine, posting more about my Wife's car now.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
jlawrence613

Drives: 2011 V6 Premium Mustang
Few things...

Are you still beating her at the track? LOL.
That 2.5 60' is UNACCEPTABLE for her car. LOWER CONTROL ARMS DUDE!!

Congrats on the BBK Headers, I'd like to shave .5 sec of my time using this setup as well. That being said...

Check craigslist, ebay, or some other sources for some 2011+ GT take off resonators.

This setup will eliminate the majority of the raspiness, drone, and vibration she is undoubtly recieving. She loves her car and the way it drives now. But I think down the road she will want a more tamer exhaust. She'd be sacrifcing a whopping total of 5hp. If she wants to add on to that further, She could tack on a magnaflow street catback system. It would deepen the tone and put the 5hp right back and maybe up to 5 more.

Weird though, what has she done to her car that makes it beat yours at car shows. I AM A FORD GUY IN AND OUT. But even i have to admit the 2010+ Camaro is the "sexier" car overall.
Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Airaid CAI, Boss 302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 2010 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555, BBK Longtube Headers O/R X-pipe Up next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Mustang GT 2.75" Overaxle pipe.
2011 Ford Mustang V6: 13.258 @ 107.45 MPH Uncorrected
jlawrence613 is offline   Reply With Quote