Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
badluck12

Drives: Black vert v6 2012
subwoofer for non ba 2012 vert HELP!

I just bought a 10 inch kicker sub for my 2012 convertible camaro I already know how to get to the factory subwoofer but can I just take the factory sub out and put the new one in or do I have to buy a box for the subwoofer? Any help is appreciated
badluck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
black12lt

Drives: black 1lt 2012
I don't have the vert, but I've seen people do it here before. I also think the factory sub in the vert is
8 inches
black12lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
side0ut

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Any update on this thread? I recently bought a 2012 1SS Basic Stereo (Non-BA) convertible and was looking at upgrading the stock subwoofer. My understanding is that it should have an 8-inch subwoofer mounted behind the rear seat in the middle. My question is.. Is the mounting area the same for the 8-inch or 10-inch subwoofer? Meaning since I am upgrading anyway, can I get a 10-inch Kicker FreeAir Subwoofer to replace my factory 8-inch or do I need to get another 8-inch subwoofer?

Thanks,

Rich
side0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
EM9IRE

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2LT/RS
I could be wrong but I thought it has always been a 10 in subwoofer, Below is a link from ******** for a mount once you take out the original sub

http://********.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Su...ent-Mount.html
EM9IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
side0ut

And this is where the confusion comes from. By reading many, many, many posts, I have gathered that if you got the upgraded BA system in the convertible, then you have a 10-inch sub. However, if you got the basic stereo, then you have a 8-inch sub. Was hoping that either way, I could upgrade to a 10-inch Kicker Free-Air Subwoofer and use the 10-inch adapter from ********. I guess I won't know for sure until someone confirms this or I remove the back seat and sub to verify for myself.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
side0ut

Hopefully, Badluck12 (or someone who has done the same) will see this thread and share their results/lessons learned. Then I can get a good idea of what parts/equipment I need to buy to complete the upgrade with the least amount of headache.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Well I don't know about the convertible but there was a member who bout a free air sub and didn't like the way it sounded at all.

I would highly recommend you buy a box from ******** but if you don't want to, you can try it for yourself.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
side0ut

So I just finished installing my speakers and amp in my car. To now answer my question: There is indeed an 8-inch subwoofer in the non-ba convertible. It has a very little amp attached to the backside of the plate. That is the only amp in the car with all the other speakers running off the factory deck. It would have been nice to know beforehand that it was there so I would have just tapped into the remote amp turn on power instead of taking the factory deck out to tap into the harness. Oh well.. Maybe this will help someone else if they decide to upgrade their non-ba stereo in a convertible. By the way, use the white wire. I used the alpine 5-channel amp with Kicker components speakers in front and Boston Acoustics in the rear. I put the Kicker 10-inch sub in the factory location. Everything sounds great with the exception of the subwoofer which already been mentioned. I just had to try it for myself. Overall, the bass is 10 times better than the factory but is not optimal since it appears to be sound only and can't really be felt. Will try moving it to a box in the trunk and see how much of a difference there is.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
Bazooka tube
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Do a search. I built a sealed chamber for my sub and added a1000 watt amp. It really pounds now.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
side0ut

So I put one of my old MTX 10s installed in a sealed box that I used to have installed in my civic in the trunk. Night and Day difference. Now my stereo sounds great. Will have to see about either building a box that fits properly in the trunk or try and enclose the factory location so I looks stock. I would prefer to try and building something in the factory location but don't know how to go about doing it. Never did any fiberglass work and there is not enough room to put plywood or MDF through the holes to create an enclosure. Would have to do it in pieces somehow but then I don't know how it could be sealed.

Todd, I tried looking through your posts. Did you happen to do a DIY or Guide for what you did? If not, I think that would be awesome if you could post something to shed some light on how you did it. Almost ready to cut a square hole where the stock location is and then slide/mount a box in the area.... (Almost) Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich
Old 01-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Here's a 10" inch trunk encloser
http://********.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Su...Enclosure.html
Heres a 12"
http://********.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Su...Enclosure.html
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
side0ut

Thanks for the post Cruuzin. I would prefer to use the factory location to keep maxium trunk space and also to look stock (ultimate stealthy)... If I decide it is too hard, I can easily build a box that will fit under the space where the top goes down. For now, it is winter so top will not be going down anytime soon, so I will just ride with my old MTX in the truck until I decide what to do. Todd has the ultimate solution. Just not sure what the trick is on how he did it. Toyed with the idea of using wood flooring since they "lock" into place and I could use the pieces to assemble the box inside the stock location.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by side0ut View Post
Thanks for the post Cruuzin. I would prefer to use the factory location to keep maxium trunk space and also to look stock (ultimate stealthy)... If I decide it is too hard, I can easily build a box that will fit under the space where the top goes down. For now, it is winter so top will not be going down anytime soon, so I will just ride with my old MTX in the truck until I decide what to do. Todd has the ultimate solution. Just not sure what the trick is on how he did it. Toyed with the idea of using wood flooring since they "lock" into place and I could use the pieces to assemble the box inside the stock location.
Yeah its quite the location. I have a 1000watt rockford fosgate amp and a really nice 12" sub and I've been debating myself which way to go. I have the boston system which is great but the Bass is nothing near aftermarket. I was thinking of going with the stealth trunk one I posted since it would be very easy to remove if I ever sold the car down the road and still have the stock sub in place. Here is one other option. A little pricy but pretty stealth.
http://www.abt.com/product/59796/JL-Audio-94526.html
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, subwoofer, vert