Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
rowerybo

Drives: explorer
Question for the truck guys

Have a 2012. Silverado 1500 LTZ with the locking rear differential, 2wd. The locking rear has been verified on the build sheet.

We tow a 22ft boat quite frequently and feel as though the rear differential is not locking when we slip on the ramps at low tide. Took the truck to the dealer and they performed the test of spinning the tires in opposite directions, the tires locked.

Get back to the ramps and the truck slips for the second time, right tire spins and the left tire does not kick in.
We have tried M1 and regular drive.

We had an 04 silverado prior to this and you could feel the locking differential engage and the truck would pull right out.

Anyone have any ideas what may be causing the issues?
rowerybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Maybe is a Limited slip differential. Locking differentials will have some sort of button you need to engage at some point.

Limited slip diff and Locking diff are 2 different things

If you have limited slip Diff, well, it will slip at some point.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
im pretty sure the silverados the newer gen never offered a limited slip only locking, how do you know the one wheel is spinning and the other is not spinning? did you witness the dealer do the test or is that what they told you?
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Applegarth

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS
How much do you let the tire spin? My 2011 Silverado takes a little while to lock when I spin the tires. It seems that my traction control catches the errant wheel before the locker (from a stop that is).
Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
rowerybo

2 or 3 revolutions before stopping and trying again.
Did not witness the dealer do the test but they have had amazing customer service with us for the past 3 trucks.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Jason P

Drives: 2011 2ss
Older trucks had a percentage of how much one tire would spin before the other would engage. So if you were driving on dry asphalt and making a corner the rear end wouldn't bind up. Jack the rear of the truck up put it in neutral and spin the tires manually. If they spin the same direction you have a posi of some sort. If one spins part of a rotation before the other starts to spin the same direction you can figure the percentage of the limited slip. If they spin opposite direction, you have an open carrier.
2011 2ss Ram twin plate ceramic clutch, Texas speed 418 LS3 235 /243 .621 / .624 cam, ported and polished heads with dual springs,magnum push rods, Hotchkis race pack, Stainless Power long tube headers with no cats, Magna Flo competition exhaust, lpe fuel pump, magnuson supercharger with overdrive and port matched blower plate, IW 8 rib pullies, AEM meth kit, id 850 injectors, 3 bar map, halltech cai, zl1 rear diff
Jason P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
The locker they use is known as a gov lock, I assume that is what you have. It takes a certain amount of speed difference between tires to cause it to lock, not a certain amount of rotations. Maybe you need to be a bit more agressive on the throttle to get it to lock up.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
rowerybo

We'll see what happens this weekend. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Rowerybo, I have two 2008 model GM Trucks. On the gearshift stalk on the steering wheel, there is a button there called "towing".

I believe this towing button will only change the way the transmission shifts.

However, you might press that button and then see if it helps in any way. This technically should make no difference but I just thought I would throw it out there.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
unless you look in the glove box and find G80 on the sticker in the APOs then you have a limited slip. The new limited slip will give traction to the wheel with the most traction - however sometimes it takes a tap of the brakes to get it to activate correctly.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
The Eaton locking differental requires more than 200 RPM's differance between sides for it to lock. They also will not lock at speeds above twenty MPH. G80 is the correct RPO code, in use by GM since the 70's.