Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-25-2016, 10:46 PM   #29
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
So I'm not an agile young man anymore military service has me rocking a 65 year old body even though I'm only 30 so getting up and down and working on a car I'm somewhat limited on what I can do. I took the car to get tuned by a (somewhat) local guy who has always tuned the car and has recently open his own shop. After looking online I was estimating somewhere in the range of 1100-1500 which always seemed reasonable with some extra costs for a helicoil, trunion upgrade things like that. Getting the estimate I about had a heart attack they want a little over 3000 for the swap so not sure what I'm going to do I might just have to go ahead put that swap on hold for a while until I can find someone A LOT cheaper Also forgot to mention there were no parts in that estimate since I have everything sitting on the bench in my garage just needing put in.
What needs a helicoil repair?
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:49 AM   #30
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i was quoted $750 for labor for a cam replacement install. just changing the cam out nothing else. That was at a shop that specializes in Camaros and Vettes.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #31
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Like stated before since I'm in the system the retune fee is 150 which IS what would be done, he charges 500 for your first time. I'm coming from l99 and when I say I have everything I mean I have EVERYTHING lifters, colder plugs for more boost, oil, new timing chain, nothing wrong with the oil pump so using stock, cam sprocket. I did all my research and purchased everything needed. Only outside things expected to be done are 1 possibly 2 helicoils and trunion upgrade but other than that it's typical springs, cam, harden push rods new front timing cover and new valley cover. It's as simple as any other cam swap just throwing out the vvt dod junk.
That's not a simple cam swap! Your heads have to come off to change the lifters. Heads alone took me an entire day. Exhaust has to come off intake off, grounds, clean up the decks, New lifter trays, New gaskets, New bolts, etc. It's not that it's hard work, but is time consuming to do it right.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #32
10 Silver Bullet

Drives: 2010 Silver SS2
Talk to Tim Gamble at Deep Stage Tuning and Performance in Norman Oklahoma his prices are the best.
10 Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #33
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Bottom line is that when you don't buy parts from a brick and mortar shop they receive 0, NADA, none of the mark up on the parts. I am aware of many places that charge a higher labor rate if you bring them parts to discourage it. Everyone likes to window shop, kick tires and waste time in shops, but then they buy online to beat the prices. (not saying you, but they need to cover there capital investment)

Another factor is when YOUR parts are incorrect, defective, missing, broken etc. they need to call you, you need to come get them, swap them out etc which takes time They make money by turning business. When a car is dead on a hoist waiting for parts, that cost them money. IF they ordered and sold you the parts.....that is the risk they take. When you bring in the parts, its a liability/time they cannot always recover.

If you don't like the prices you are better to discuss it with the shop directly or find a different one.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #34
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
And wether they like it or not, they are accepting responsibility of parts you are handing over saying they are correct, and new. If they provide the parts, they know what to use, and the condition, and can warranty or swap them out with vendors. They install something you provide, and it fails 400 miles later, your going to be bitching at them. So charging a lot more, to discourage this behavior is very very VERY common in the industry. Many good big shops make it so it is far more expensive to provide your own parts than have them source them.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #35
Gearheaded

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
And wether they like it or not, they are accepting responsibility of parts you are handing over saying they are correct, and new. If they provide the parts, they know what to use, and the condition, and can warranty or swap them out with vendors. They install something you provide, and it fails 400 miles later, your going to be bitching at them. So charging a lot more, to discourage this behavior is very very VERY common in the industry. Many good big shops make it so it is far more expensive to provide your own parts than have them source them.
Not to mention if the part you provide beaks, they gotta hope you won't blame them. Otherwise they just ate an oil pump, plus the time to tear the motor back down to install a new one.

Bad lifter? That heads coming back off. Anything of that nature perfectly definite their price.

It sucks, but this is exactly the reason I did the install myself
2009 YZF R1 - Race bike (road course)(totaled racing)
2008 YZF R6 - Race bike (road course)(still own)
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #36
LSX Camaro

Quote:
Exactly right Nick!
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
Old 04-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #37
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Anytime Chris. Maybe in Socal next week or this weekend. Undecided. May drive vette, or may ride the bike. Not sure.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #38
WheelMan69

Drives: 2015 SS/A6
Called a shop asking how much it would be to put in a Mild Cam (Don't really know which one I want yet) and they came back with 4.5K for my L99 and 6.5 for aggressive cam with a stall.

I'm getting more estimates around my area.
WheelMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #39
Night trained

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss 1LE
Chilton time for camshaft replacement is 20 hrs. That's with pulling heads and lifters. even if labor rate is a low $70 an hour that's $1400. Then the valve springs need to be swapped over. Yes there is a way to do without pulling heads, but customer would be liable if something happens due to the short cut way. The customer will not want to hear about that, so I would quote total true time.
oh also ,about supplying your own parts, try bringing your steak to a steakhouse and tell then how to cook it, see where that gets you..
Night trained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #40
LSX Camaro

Quote:
Anytime Chris. Maybe in Socal next week or this weekend. Undecided. May drive vette, or may ride the bike. Not sure.
Let me know!
Old 04-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #41
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012LS3VERT View Post
We pull the motor in about 3 hours here, but it involves draining/recharging the A/C, because we drop it out the bottom. If heads coming off, we do it that way. Then still about 10-12 hours for the swap, 3 to reinstall, 1 for recharge A/C. So still about 20 hours labor. Our rate is in the $70/hr range, but even at $100/hr it is still only $2000.

I have no idea why people here FAIL to add 2+2 together. Either ignorant(conveniently skip some posts..), $$ greedy, allegiance to some Team/Shop or....

Quote:
I bring my own parts in....but there is a thing that is missing in todays society, and it is honesty and COMMUNICATION.

I make it very clear I won't be bitching if a part fails, and "they" (the shop in question), make it clear there will be no bitching. Then we carry on.

For sure there is a grey zone involved here, no denying this.

I still feel there should be no excuse for a shop to rape someone before the fact, as this most likely means, there was no communication to begin with, and things then potentially could get even nastier should a failure occur down the line.

An honest shop, should either say Yes, or politely refuse the job, end_of_story.

I totally understand what you wrote, and it is truly a "fact on the ground." We have all seen this, and sadly, one bad case, may supersede 20 good positive transactions.

That said, I iterate once again, competition is fierce in the automotive world, especially in the aftermarket service world. Use the internet wisely, shop around, my savings over the course of the years, totally make up for a potential out_of_pocket_failure_, which I have yet to experienced to date. If I did(if the part failed), I would suck it up, but my savings over the years would negate that cost I think.

NOTE*Funny enough, the parts I forwarded to my shop, were the same brands they use as well, so all was good there . In fact, I even introduced the owner to Cam Motion, he might be switching now thanks to me, lol. I mean, there are only so many reputable brands of valve springs, cams, oil pumps out there right?

Obviooooously, if someone brings me in a brand X, Made in Taiwan eBay "$100" Cam, I too would tell the client to bugger off!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #42
2SSLincolnSS2
SoCal

Drives: 2011 SS2
Quote:
So I'm not an agile young man anymore military service has me rocking a 65 year old body even though I'm only 30 so getting up and down and working on a car I'm somewhat limited on what I can do. I took the car to get tuned by a (somewhat) local guy who has always tuned the car and has recently open his own shop. After looking online I was estimating somewhere in the range of 1100-1500 which always seemed reasonable with some extra costs for a helicoil, trunion upgrade things like that. Getting the estimate I about had a heart attack they want a little over 3000 for the swap so not sure what I'm going to do I might just have to go ahead put that swap on hold for a while until I can find someone A LOT cheaper Also forgot to mention there were no parts in that estimate since I have everything sitting on the bench in my garage just needing put in.
Too bad you aren't in southern California. I'd help you do it for the amazingly expensive price of a couple beers.