Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #57
lakers171
SoCal MAYHEM

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
which gets me also wondering... was the dyno done with the hood opened or closed?
scrming your the man, you ask the questions people (like me) look over to ask or to think about.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #58
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers171 View Post
scrming your the man, you ask the questions people (like me) look over to ask or to think about.
Thanks!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #59
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Hey David@Airaid,

I now it's not your product, but do you guys @ Airaid think we would benefit by switching out our stock Mass Air Sensor to a Jet Power-Flow Mass Air Sensor when we install the new Airaid CAI on our 3.6L or will it even work with the new CAI?

I don't really have a clue, that's why I am asking questions and trying to learn about all of this new technology. I never tried to beef up a electronics overloaded car before.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #60
acehole

Drives: mits lancer oz
I really hope they dont do a dyno with hood open that is such a waste...
acehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #61
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Quote:
Also curious as to the inside diameter of the MAF housing.... Any chance someone has that measurement handy?
The area you can see on the bottom of this pre-production tube is to modify the air flow past the MAF.

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #62
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
The area you can see on the bottom of this pre-production tube is to modify the air flow past the MAF.

OK, I get it, the indent in the bottom is to direct the air up to the MAF.

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #63
Airaid Filters

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
While I'm sure you felt the gains... I would still love to see someone independently verify these gains... No disrespect to Dave or Airaid... BUT I've seen way to many vendors out there selling junk and deliver no where near their claimed gains...

Would also be curious if the gains continue on or if the car does in fact "de-tune" itself after a few drive cycles...
Hello scrming,

The Numbers that we quoted are the numbers that we saw with 3 consistent runs our in house Mustang Chassis Dyno.

AS far as "independent" tests, Jannetty is doing an independent test on quite a few of the systems.

I would assume you know about dyno's and how much they will vary depending on brand of dyno, vehicle, mod’s, mileage, weather, moisture, and so on.

Some can see more and some can see less, a Dyno is a rough estimate of what a product can produce, not a number etched in stone.

Airaid does not build "Junk" and we do deliver the gains we advertise.

The Overall Quality of components, fit and finish and performance are 2nd to None!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
Hey David@Airaid,

I now it's not your product, but do you guys @ Airaid think we would benefit by switching out our stock Mass Air Sensor to a Jet Power-Flow Mass Air Sensor when we install the new Airaid CAI on our 3.6L or will it even work with the new CAI?

I don't really have a clue, that's why I am asking questions and trying to learn about all of this new technology. I never tried to beef up a electronics overloaded car before.
Hello kga10734,

I would not recommend adding an aftermarket MAF sensor.

Thanks,
David
Airaid Filters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #64
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@Airaid View Post
Hello scrming,

The Numbers that we quoted are the numbers that we saw with 3 consistent runs our in house Mustang Chassis Dyno.

AS far as "independent" tests, Jannetty is doing an independent test on quite a few of the systems.

I would assume you know about dyno's and how much they will vary depending on brand of dyno, vehicle, mod’s, mileage, weather, moisture, and so on.

Some can see more and some can see less, a Dyno is a rough estimate of what a product can produce, not a number etched in stone.

Airaid does not build "Junk" and we do deliver the gains we advertise.

The Overall Quality of components, fit and finish and performance are 2nd to None!

Hello kga10734,

I would not recommend adding an aftermarket MAF sensor.

Thanks,
David
I seen the Jannetty thread but haven't really paid much attention to it... Doubt they will test the V6 versions...

And yep, I know all about dynos and variances, etc. BUT if I do some baseline pulls, swap intakes, do some more pulls I should be some where in the ballpark as to what the vendor claims... Yes, I understand even the weather changes during the day... but my experience has been the SAE correction stuff does work pretty well...

Now I'm not saying if you claim 11RWHP I need to get exactly 11RWHP... But there should be a reasonable gain... (of course we haven't even talked about A/F yet... LOL) I also try to be fair and objective in my testing and reviews... I understand you don't build junk and was certainly not directed at you... HOWEVER I have tested some pretty stinky things in the past... Like the an under drive pulley that claimed like 16RWHP when in fact in my testing was more like 3 to 5 RWHP! Other purchasers that bought this item found the same thing...

And of course there was the throttle body spacer... multiple shops tested showed ZERO gains despite the claims of increased HP... LOL
Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #65
Airaid Filters

Quote:
I seen the Jannetty thread but haven't really paid much attention to it... Doubt they will test the V6 versions...

And yep, I know all about dynos and variances, etc. BUT if I do some baseline pulls, swap intakes, do some more pulls I should be some where in the ballpark as to what the vendor claims... Yes, I understand even the weather changes during the day... but my experience has been the SAE correction stuff does work pretty well...

Now I'm not saying if you claim 11RWHP I need to get exactly 11RWHP... But there should be a reasonable gain... (of course we haven't even talked about A/F yet... LOL) I also try to be fair and objective in my testing and reviews... I understand you don't build junk and was certainly not directed at you... HOWEVER I have tested some pretty stinky things in the past... Like the an under drive pulley that claimed like 16RWHP when in fact in my testing was more like 3 to 5 RWHP! Other purchasers that bought this item found the same thing...

And of course there was the throttle body spacer... multiple shops tested showed ZERO gains despite the claims of increased HP... LOL

Hello scrming,

I understand some manufactures exaggerate their gains, check out some of the HP #'s advertised for the Shelby GT500 system as a perfect example of manufactures putting out false claims, however compare that to the real world numbers that we produced and advertised on the same vehicle. It is unfortunate though for the manufactures who are trying to do it right, as the one's who make crazy claims ruin it for the rest of us.

Just because a certain product does not reflect a "Gain" on a dyno does not mean it is not working or increasing performance.

Example: C5 Corvette owner add's long tube headers and Dyno's the car, but does not see much of a gain at all. So the owner then brings the car back the track and finds he has picked up a consistent 3-4 tenths and 2mph in the 1/4mile with the addition of the long tube headers.

So since the Dyno did not reflect the increased power does that mean they don't do anything?? Clearly the consistent gain of 3-4 tenths and mph shows the Long tubes made a real nice gain in horsepower and torque in a real world environment such as the track.

A Dyno is a tuning tool, and not the be all end all of showing how a product works or how affective it is.

So what are some details on your background for testing products?

Thanks,
David
Old 10-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #66
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@Airaid View Post
Hello scrming,

I understand some manufactures exaggerate their gains, check out some of the HP #'s advertised for the Shelby GT500 system as a perfect example of manufactures putting out false claims, however compare that to the real world numbers that we produced and advertised on the same vehicle. It is unfortunate though for the manufactures who are trying to do it right, as the one's who make crazy claims ruin it for the rest of us.

Just because a certain product does not reflect a "Gain" on a dyno does not mean it is not working or increasing performance.

Example: C5 Corvette owner add's long tube headers and Dyno's the car, but does not see much of a gain at all. So the owner then brings the car back the track and finds he has picked up a consistent 3-4 tenths and 2mph in the 1/4mile with the addition of the long tube headers.

So since the Dyno did not reflect the increased power does that mean they don't do anything?? Clearly the consistent gain of 3-4 tenths and mph shows the Long tubes made a real nice gain in horsepower and torque in a real world environment such as the track.

A Dyno is a tuning tool, and not the be all end all of showing how a product works or how affective it is.

So what are some details on your background for testing products?

Thanks,
David
You pick up 3 to 4 tenths at the track (taking weather into the equation here too.) and you DON'T see it on the dyno, then you are not doing something right with your dyno testing!

And that is exactly why in one of my off hand comments I mentioned dyno AND track testing! I know all about Dyno Queens and Bench Racers... LOL! Last car had over a hundred dyno pulls and countless trips down the 1320... Already have like dozen pulls on the Camaro... no idea on the track... I do know I picked the car up on a Wednesday and was at the track on Sunday... LOL

As for testing product... I do a lot of Enterprise Class computer hardware bench marking.... So i understand the principle of trying to keep things on a even playing field, doing repeatable tests and being as fair as possible in my evaluations... but before you laugh at what does a computer geek know about car product testing... A lot of those same principals apply here... and of course to help me I've enlisted a couple of very experienced automotive types...
Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #67
Airaid Filters

[QUOTE=scrming;1035568]You pick up 3 to 4 tenths at the track (taking weather into the equation here too.) and you DON'T see it on the dyno, then you are not doing something right with your dyno testing![QUOTE]

Hello scrming,

The Dyno test was done by a local Dyno shop who had a good reputation. The whole point is, the DYNO does not always show or reflect a gain as a DYNO was designed as a Tuning tool.

I appreciate your response.

Thanks,
David
Old 10-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #68
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Got my airaid today. The kit seems very well made, and I look forward to the install. The only problem I have is there was no directions or hardware/bolts, clamps etc in the package!
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #69
Airaid Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
Got my airaid today. The kit seems very well made, and I look forward to the install. The only problem I have is there was no directions or hardware/bolts, clamps etc in the package!
Hello esperman,

Send me a PM and I will express it out.

Thanks,
David
Old 10-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #70
DEW

Drives: Hoopdee
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
Then it must use existing clamps, hardware, ect. There cant be too many pieces to this puzzle.

BUILD - 6/12/2009
Airaid V2, Flowmaster AT
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote