Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Those with LT's, RESET your check engine light!

I have the Stainless works long tubes, high flow cats, 3" pipes, and currently have the 2 1/2" mufflers installed on my LS3.

I got my check engine light once I got back from Carlisle, PA after an 1,800 mile trip and after having the car for 6 days. The check engine light was nothing, really....just a small dim light that stayed lit on my dash...which I though would be there forever.:(

I figured nothing could be done.

Well, I ended up getting into a conversation with a retired GM employee and after a few drinks, the whole topic of the fuse pull, batter disconnect, etc came up and I mentioned that I had the SES light (check engine light). I was told that the cars computer eventually learns the new pipes and would probably adapt to the new long tubes and freer flowing air.

We reset my light and the O2 code disappeared. I was told to keep an eye on it and if it didn't come back on after 50 starts, I should be fine. Well, that was about 3 weeks ago and I've had well over 50 starts. Guess what? NO MORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!

So, for all of you worried about LT's and SES lights.....

(this is my experience....I don't know if all results would be the same..... But you NEVER know)
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
the ecm probly has not done the catalyst monitoring test yet, its not how many starts you do, it is the obd2 driving cycle, you probly have not met the ecm requirements for the catalyst test to complete
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
kelleyperformance

Drives: DD- 15' Chevy SS Sedan
IMO and from experience its more than likely gunna come back on. if not, more power to ya

but dont worry too much, very simple to "tune out" the catylist efficency codes if it does come back
Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
the ecm probly has not done the catalyst monitoring test yet, its not how many starts you do, it is the obd2 driving cycle, you probly have not met the ecm requirements for the catalyst test to complete
Well, as nicely as I can put it, I hope you are wrong...

The guy I spoke with seemed to know what he was talking about (not that I'm saying you don't). It sounded odd...50 starts and all...but, he was chalk full of info and like I said, I'm WELL over 50 starts and it's been several weeks. My light came on right away (5 days) from owning it. Then again, Stainless had it for a while too. So, more than that. And, you have to add in teh starting and driving while at Toms. So, I held off before I said anything. Worst case scenario, I live with it or reset it once per month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyperformance View Post
IMO and from experience its more than likely gunna come back on. if not, more power to ya

but dont worry too much, very simple to "tune out" the catylist efficency codes if it does come back
When I get the tune, it'll happen. Until then, the warranty is worth a LOT more than a simple light.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
How did you reset it? I pulled my battery cable before but will get a light from just getting on the interstate. I can drive around town all day, everyday but if I just give it some throttle, it will come back.
Of course I have the V6.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
How did you reset it? I pulled my battery cable before but will get a light from just getting on the interstate. I can drive around town all day, everyday but if I just give it some throttle, it will come back.
Of course I have the V6.
You have to reset it with a code reader, disconnecting the battery won't do it. You will have to go to the dealer or somewhere that will read codes like Auto Zone.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Global warming. Bigger carbon footprint like Al Gore
Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
kelleyperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
You have to reset it with a code reader, disconnecting the battery won't do it. You will have to go to the dealer or somewhere that will read codes like Auto Zone.
it doesnt matter how you clear the code... its going to come back if its not disabled with tuning software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Is there any downside in disabling the efficency codes?
it has no effect on the car other than not allowing the CEL on the dash to illuminate for the codes you select. you can also select for them to not even appear if the car is scanned with any type of scan tool
Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
kelleyperformance

no problem
Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
I was going to PM you Tag on this very issue cause I new you had LT's
without a tune...Thanks.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Reset mine at the dealer..It came back...:(

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
I have HP Tuners Pro to fix these SEL issues.
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
Becustom
ProCharged 600 + RWHP

Drives: 2SS/RS White/Hugger Orange
I have the Stainless works LT 2" primary s and 3" Hi flo cats and 3" exhaust with the S style mufflers. No CAI . and I have had no problems at all over 3000 miles on my car now.
I whip it all the time too. My pipes are running a little black though.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
kelleyperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becustom View Post
I have the Stainless works LT 2" primary s and 3" Hi flo cats and 3" exhaust with the S style mufflers. No CAI . and I have had no problems at all over 3000 miles on my car now.
I whip it all the time too. My pipes are running a little black though.
give it time, the right conditions one day and you got a CEL