Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-24-2016, 12:27 AM   #1
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Summer tires in 35* weather

I put my summer wheels and tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) back on my car last weekend, because it was over 70* and the sun was shining. Monday morning it was snowing and 35*. My car is a DD so I had no choice but to drive it. The roads were mostly wet with spots of slush up to 1" deep.

If one word could describe my experience it would be: UNSAFE!! another word would be OMG!!

Holy crap! I felt like I was driving on marbles and every little bump would send the car lurching from side to side. Had I not slowed down considerably to 50-60 mph I could have easily ended up in the median or against a guard rail. This is the first time I was passed by 99% of the other cars on the road.

I drove to work again today, and while the roads were dryer, they were still wet enough and it was still only 35*, that it was another white knuckler. The car didn't feel anywhere near normal until the temp got into the high 50's and low 60's later in the day. What an eye opener.

My advice...resist the spring fever urge to get your fatties back on and live to see another day.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:43 AM   #2
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
Being from Chicago, I feel for you brother. But you do have a pro and a con.

The pro is that you are an M6 car and can start in second or even third gear. I would also not shift above 2500 rpm.

The con is that the summer tires are horrible below 65 degrees despite everybody else saying it is 40 degrees where the tires lose grip.

Basically what I am saying is be careful because until you hit 65 degrees you are basically driving a Slip N Slide.
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:11 AM   #3
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i dont know about the SS tires but i bet you're not supposed to drive on them in such cold weather. other ultra summer tires will crack and come apart. the F1 supercars can crack just being in temps below 40. stock pzeros can crack if driven on below 45. put your other tires back on until the weather stays above 50.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
My 5th

Good advice. I need to find some time in my very busy schedule to change back to the winter rims/tires as it looks like the extended forecast calls for cold temperatures and snow through the first week of April. Oh wait! My car is going to be getting a heart transplant the first week in April (forged 427, ZR1 dual-disk clutch and RPM Level V M6). It may be off the road for more than a week.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 AM   #5
My 5th

I did a little googling and found a GM bulletin about running summer tires in cold weather. They said 20* or colder could damage the tire. I already know 35* makes them dangerous. Today it was in the mid 50"s and the handling was much improved.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
weather man said we should expect some very cold, artic air coming down in a couple weeks.... and you are north of me...so, be careful out there.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
My 5th

I would have swapped back to the winter tires yesterday, but my car's going in for a forged 427, and other goodies, in a couple of days, and I wanted it to be tuned, etc with the summer tires and wheels.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #8
Dylank811

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Its weird how everyone's perspectives are different depending on their experiences...I have been driving the hell out of my SS on the stock P-zeros that came on the car 5 years, 23k miles ago and I think the car was still decently planted. The Virginia winter was mild this year, but still hung around 30 degree temperatures for a bit.

Then again, I haven't had all-season tires in like 3 years. I'm planning to try out those BFG all-seasons when I get tires in a few months. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

I did make a sad attempt to go out on snow one night...made it 20 feet out of the garage and put it back.
Dylank811 is offline   Reply With Quote