Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
First Oil Change

Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been a topic before but my car (2014 2LT Camaro) warned me I should get an oil change soon at around 5550 miles. I'm at 5580 now but I'm out of town for the next few days and won't be able to take it to my favorite mechanic. I was wondering if I should get one immediately and take it to a new random place that might try to scam me (I've heard people being charged for things they didn't need or not given things they were charged for) or wait a few days and drive about 50-60 miles more with the current oil in the car (which i'm scared will hurt the engine). If this is a stupid question or has been posted before, I'm sorry. Anyway, cheers and thanks for reading my rambling.

Best,

Dan
Old 05-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
I change mine every 4,500 to 5000. Wouldn't go much longer without doing it. But thats me personally..
Nighthawk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Lol I change mine every 3000 miles (5000km for us canadians)

High magnitude, go to a place where you can watch them do the oil change. I don't think they'll be trying to sell you anything seeing as how your car is a 2014, no need for anything else. If they try to sell you anything just tell them politely, no thank you and that's it. Best of luck and don't worry your car will be fine, just try to stay on top of it. Oil is the most important thing in your car. Also look into changing your rear differential fliud sometime in the near future and don't forget to do your tranny fluid change, but that won't be for a long time.(just keep it in mind)
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been a topic before but my car (2014 2LT Camaro) warned me I should get an oil change soon at around 5550 miles. I'm at 5580 now but I'm out of town for the next few days and won't be able to take it to my favorite mechanic. I was wondering if I should get one immediately and take it to a new random place that might try to scam me (I've heard people being charged for things they didn't need or not given things they were charged for) or wait a few days and drive about 50-60 miles more with the current oil in the car (which i'm scared will hurt the engine). If this is a stupid question or has been posted before, I'm sorry. Anyway, cheers and thanks for reading my rambling.

Best,

Dan
Hi Dan 60 more miles wont do anything to your engines its well worth the wait knowing youre taking it to a trusted mechanic who will get the job done. I hope your trusted mechanic is not any of the chevy dealers in our area.
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:23 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Waiting won't hurt. Or, if you're uncomfortable doing that, take it to a local GM dealer. One thing I would do immediately though... check your oil level! The condition of your oil is probably fine but V6s do tend to use a bit more oil. If the stick doesn't read full, I'd add some oil to make it do so.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
High Magnitude

How do you see your oil life percent? Also should I get synthetic oil or regular oil?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
High Magnitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
Also look into changing your rear differential fliud sometime in the near future and don't forget to do your tranny fluid change, but that won't be for a long time.(just keep it in mind)
What about my blinker fluid?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #8
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
Synthetic blend or full syn, dexos rated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
SuperSport2011

Quote:
How do you see your oil life percent? Also should I get synthetic oil or regular oil?
Just scroll through your menu thats in between your speedometer and your rpm gauge, and you'll see it. You can put regular in if that's what it had before but I would switch to syntetic. Once you do that though you will always have to use syntetic, you should never go back to regular.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
Old 05-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #10
High Magnitude

Quote:
Just scroll through your menu thats in between your speedometer and your rpm gauge, and you'll see it. You can put regular in if that's what it had before but I would switch to syntetic. Once you do that though you will always have to use syntetic, you should never go back to regular.
Mine came with synthetic so I guess that's what I'll stay with. Thanks
Old 05-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #11
High Magnitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF8 View Post
Synthetic blend or full syn, dexos rated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All right thank you
Old 05-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #12
SuperSport2011

Quote:
What about my blinker fluid?
You haven't changed that yet?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
Enduring

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
You will be perfectly fine driving 50-60 miles on your current oil, even more so because it is synthetic. Synthetic oils are capable of 10,000 miles, although I still change mine after 5000.

The warning you are getting is because your oil life fell below 5%. The manual suggests to get an oil change within 300 miles of the message first appearing.
Enduring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #14
High Magnitude

Quote:
You haven't changed that yet?
No I haven't