Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #3697
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
Exactly, the first 12.8x second SS 1/4 mile run took a long time to eek out and it took quite some time before anybody else was able to break out of the 12.9's. The supposed bone stock 12.6 second run? I'm just not buying it.

Reminds me of a guy I once saw run 11's in a 400ci Firebird he swore was stock as a rock outside of the exhaust and a set of cheater slicks. Over and over he kept claiming to have a nearly stock 11 second car, what he really had was a very active imagination.
The guy said he only had a K&N Air Filter. His trap speed indicated it was stock. So just because only one person has done it so far means it's not possible? I could say I'm not buying the 2010 GT's 13.2 bone stock run, but that does remove any validity from the claim? Some need to separate the comparison of vehicles and drivers.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #3698
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
And finally the worst kept secret in automotive news is official.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #3699
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
what mods does a 3v 4.6 respond very well to besides f\i?

Intakes, tunes, cams, headers, mid pipes, delete plates to name a few.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #3700
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SS500HP View Post
Bunch of haters in here, totally lame. my FoOTBAll TeaM IS BEttEr ThNA YouR.s Lose the gang mentality. It have a 2010 SS and a 2010 GT500. Love them both. If you don't enjoy both, you are missing out.
I have already said I am impressed by the new Mustang. You seem to be missing the point that regardless of my lack of in depth Mustang knowledge you have so impressively accrued, my point is still valid. Either they are sticking it to customers, or losing money. Apparently they chose the former.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 12-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #3701
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
How can they possibly be adding a whole new powertrain and not raise the price? that is crazy. And if they do it...I guess that would be sweet.

10SS500hp....or should I call you a troll possibly? You sure have all the tell tale signs of one. You registered just recently to post on this thread. You claim to own a camaro. ETC. ETC. its almost laughable. And if your not a troll...then that would be even more of a surprise the way you are acting.
Excuse me about the mod motor comment. Jesus. Mod motor or not...it is OHC. Not a fan. Ill be just fine replacing 1 cam and getting more from it. Fast as it may be...the 2011 GT would need a restyling as well as a pushrod motor for me to be interested.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #3702
a_Username

I think there needs to be a final say on weight and tires for there to be a conclusion to this debate...
Old 12-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #3703
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I think there needs to be a final say on weight and tires for there to be a conclusion to this debate...

you think they'res going to be a conclusion after mere specs are released?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #3704
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

you think they'res going to be a conclusion after mere specs are released?
To me there will be... for some... I can't speak for. :(
Old 12-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #3705
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT 79 View Post
Intakes, tunes, cams, headers, mid pipes, delete plates to name a few.
i see. gets you around 400rwhp?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #3706
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
The guy said he only had a K&N Air Filter. His trap speed indicated it was stock. So just because only one person has done it so far means it's not possible?
The problem is that talk is cheap. There just isn't enough to back this one up, basically we just have his word for it, and that just isn't enough in this case. And I never said it isn't possible, just that this guy isn't throwing enough our way to make this a believable run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username
I could say I'm not buying the 2010 GT's 13.2 bone stock run, but that does remove any validity from the claim?
No, the lack of a real basis for the claim does that on it's own. If I chime in and say I've run a 12.9 in a Mustang GT and promise that the car is bone stock are we going to believe that too? It takes more than just some random guys word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username
Some need to separate the comparison of vehicles and drivers.
Some need to separate what they want to believe from what is truly believable.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #3707
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
At this point any debate is pointless. Let's wait and see how this car runs when it comes out. At this point it has to beat a 12.6 bone stock to be faster than the SS.
Umm that's called driver skill bro... so it has to beat the best ever rarely run camaro time, to be faster? when your average driver of the SS runs 13.3-12.9 ? and i even seen one who couldn't break 13.5 so ummm your point is DENIED.

You are sharp bro. i like what you did there
Old 12-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #3708
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
How can they possibly be adding a whole new powertrain and not raise the price? that is crazy. And if they do it...I guess that would be sweet.

10SS500hp....or should I call you a troll possibly? You sure have all the tell tale signs of one. You registered just recently to post on this thread. You claim to own a camaro. ETC. ETC. its almost laughable. And if your not a troll...then that would be even more of a surprise the way you are acting.
Excuse me about the mod motor comment. Jesus. Mod motor or not...it is OHC. Not a fan. Ill be just fine replacing 1 cam and getting more from it. Fast as it may be...the 2011 GT would need a restyling as well as a pushrod motor for me to be interested.
It's weird that you want to go back in time with technology such as a push rod motor but freely bash an "ancient" solid rear axle? lol which side are you on because it's not technologies.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #3709
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Close to it, 380 to the wheel maybe?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #3710
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
In 2007 Saleen made P. Jones Edition Mustang and including with 3.73 in the package it has these things:

1) 10.5:1 compression ratio
2) actual crank 370hp
3) 5.0 3v
4) 6500rpm redline

Now with that said, an all new engine all-together to feature newer technologies, with new characteristics, superior 4v compared to the P.Jones's 3v........ I guess I dont see why some people think this engine does have room to grow in terms of modification. Like mentioned before by someone else on here, the limitation of torque is usually bearing on displacment on NA engines. well the P.Jones and 2011 isnt too far apart on torque. I would put the extra hp on the 4v as an excuse. But saying a blower and etc is a no-no, is out there.

The LS3 has an 10.7:1 ratio, and if the ratio is similar to the P.Jones then the 2011 GT will have slightly less. And the last time I checked people on here are using Maggies and etc. And it been mentioned that Whipple has been in the loop with developing a blower anyway.

Not to mention I have a set of 4.10s that I been meaning to put into my 2001, and with the 8.8 still in the house; about any tom, dick, and harry blue collar can have these cheap gears installed. I cant say so much for the 2010 Camaro's current gear offerings in or over the $700 range (thanx, Linger). So much for money mod for mod.

And for the sake of arguement and to put my 2 cents in the hat:

-Using an official Saleen/P.Jones quoted 1/4 time of 12.9 sec & 109 mph
http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...on-Mustang.htm

-Similar equipment (brembos, and struts, etc) most likely a similar curb weight of 3556lbs, but add 100lbs for the naysayer for a total of 3656lbs

-3.73 gearing

Ok at this point it looks like 2010 Camaro and 2011 is on a even playing field, but.........

The 2011 Coyote does have more power than the P.Jones. So I can see that 12.9 coming down a tenth or two. Factor in the ease of a launch on a solid axle.........starting to sound like even the most average drive could give the best driver in a Camaro a run for his money. So to be fair I think these car are going to be a drivers race.

And like I said, the "Camaro will beat the Mustang Mod for Mod" arguement is weak. Off the top of my head I can see $700 buying gears, UDPs, and a CAI. $700 doesnt even buy the Camaro gears, and most CAI are above $300. So I wouldnt go there on that.
Whoa Whoa!! I am not anti-ford or anything like that. I never said adding a blower to Fords new 5.0 is impossible BUT if it has a compression of 11:1 it makes avoiding things like detonation more difficult and thats the truth. As fas as Mod for Mod comment I made, please read my post more carefully. I never mentioned gearing, specificaly was talking about the OHV LS3 vs fords OHC 5.0. Not trying to make this into an OHV vs OHC debate, but facts are facts. with about $3500 of parts (CAI, headers, exhaust, under drive pulleys, cam and tuned) you can have the camaro make about 480hp at the wheels for just $3500!! that is just incredible value. It is just not possible to significantly increase the HP of an OHC engine in N.A. form without spending waaaaayyy more $$. Hence why many ford fans has opted for force induction instead, which is completely logical. But it seems this coyote motor is very highly tuned in stock form and possibly have a compresion of 11:1 and while likely be not as blower friendly as before (didn't the 4.6 have a compresion of 9.9?)
see what I am sayin bro? but in stock form the 2011 mustang is going to be a fun drive, no doubt.

Closed Thread