Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #141
JasonK

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I just heard my local radio station telling how distraught his girlfriend was,... blah blah blah. Boring and of course that is how you would feel loosing a loved one. Until she states they have dated for 7 years, he was 33, she was 16!!!

Her Daddy must have been proud to have her date an actor. I would have had him in jail....
JasonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #142
IBM 2SS

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
The Coroner's report said that Paul Walker died from trauma and burn injuries (he burned to death) where Roger Rodas died from the traumatic injuries.

Burning to death would be a horrible way to die!
IBM 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #143
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM 2SS View Post
The Coroner's report said that Paul Walker died from trauma and burn injuries (he burned to death) where Roger Rodas died from the traumatic injuries.

Hopefully he was unconscious and never felt the fire. I know one of the people that was first on the scene said both were unconscious.
It makes you wonder though if they had been wearing helmets and firesuits if the outcome would have been different.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #144
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I've thought the very same thing that Stig'sCousin said about opening up racetracks. I feel like an obstacle to a community race park is liability. I don't know, maybe a smart city would treat it like any other business and say that they want to entice a company into coming to the city and opening a track, offer tax benefits. The thought there wouldn't necessarily be getting people off of street racing, although that's a good thing too, but to bring in crowds of people several nights a week who would also spend money at local restaurants and gas stations.

But anyway, use a private company with city support so the city doesn't have to take on liability.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #145
RallyellowRS

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM 2SS View Post

Hopefully he was unconscious.
RallyellowRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #146
StigsAmericanCousin

Drives: Fast, Fun and Loud
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I've thought the very same thing that Stig'sCousin said about opening up racetracks. I feel like an obstacle to a community race park is liability. I don't know, maybe a smart city would treat it like any other business and say that they want to entice a company into coming to the city and opening a track, offer tax benefits. The thought there wouldn't necessarily be getting people off of street racing, although that's a good thing too, but to bring in crowds of people several nights a week who would also spend money at local restaurants and gas stations.

But anyway, use a private company with city support so the city doesn't have to take on liability.
I like this idea too, similar to cities building venues for pro sports teams. The peripheral economic impact would be a great way to help push the idea.
StigsAmericanCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #147
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by StigsAmericanCousin View Post
I like this idea too, similar to cities building venues for pro sports teams. The peripheral economic impact would be a great way to help push the idea.
This works only if the surrounding community supports it. Many communities really do NOT want motorsports complexes anywhere near them due to concerns over noise, rowdiness, recklessness of folks coming and going, etc. They can be considered by some similar in desirability to a landfill or a nuclear power plant ... a nice thing to have somewhere else (NIMBY, ya know?) California has a large population and so have a larger number of folks that will scream over environment, safety, etc (who will protect the children! all the children must be protected! ). This is not to say that Cali has a larger percentage of far left folks, this is to say that the large population will naturally have a larger number of folks that will be outspoken against anything non-green.

Please note, I am all for tracks and thoroughly enjoy drag racing on either 1/8 or 1/4 tracks, autocross, etc, but I also am one that wouldn't really want it in the open area behind my house.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #148
StigsAmericanCousin

Drives: Fast, Fun and Loud
I'm not saying it has to be build near residential areas. It can be in the sticks for all I care. But the effect of not having a facility within a 100 mile radius, makes people do dumb things on the street. The NIMBYs will always have a shit fit over anything that isn't a school, park or a Starbucks, but at some point a compromise must be found.

To give you an idea of what not having facilities is like just google search "Santa Clarita Youth Grove". For a small community there is a large number of youth deaths associated with automobile accidents. One of my friends is memorialized there, not because of any illegal activity, just an unfortunate accident that cost him his life. But others in the memorial are casualties of poor judgement and a lack of local outlets for auto sports.

While both Paul and Roger had the means to go race at tracks around the country and world, most of us don't.
StigsAmericanCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #149
2012-1822

Closest drag strip to me is an 1/8th mile 20 minutes away. I'm right in between, sort of, two 1/4 miles. Each an hour and a half or two hours away. I haven't made it to the 1/4's because of the time investment involved in getting there plus when they have test and tune isn't ideal.

But there is plenty of empty land all around central Alabama that could be used for a track and it be convenient to Birmingham(or Tuscaloosa in my case) and still not right next to a residential area. The problem is paying for it of course. Either has to be subsidized or profitable. No one is going to run it for free.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #150
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Here's a cool Tribute one of our local Houston shops did.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #151
ford20

Drives: Boss 302
The dude that was talking sounded like he was from the bronx lol
Old 12-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #152
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford20 View Post
The dude that was talking sounded like he was from the bronx lol
LOL.. he is. Just moved down here and opened up shop. Has street meets at his shop every Wed and Sat.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #153
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Pretty cool video and you can tell there were quite a few cars with some pretty big blowers lol
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #154
2012-1822