Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
MSull16

Drives: '10 Camaro SS LS3
2010 non-rs Taillight lenses?

Does anyone have old tail light lenses laying around? or know where to find them? I just need the lenses as 1 is cracked and another scratched and Id just like to replace them all.
MSull16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
camaro2ss/rs

Drives: 2ss/rs
https://www.rockymountaingraphics.co...illight-Decals maybe these might cover up your issues
camaro2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
MSull16

Thats definitely an option.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSull16 View Post
Does anyone have old tail light lenses laying around? or know where to find them? I just need the lenses as 1 is cracked and another scratched and Id just like to replace them all.
I don't have any, but the RS uses the same lens as the non-RS.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
MSull16

Thanks for that info, I thought they might. @Rocky1974
Old 06-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
The RS uses the same lens as the non-RS.
This is incorrect. In 2010 the non RS lens is more "red" than the RS which has a smoked color and is darker.

In later models they made all cars with the same tail light lens which was the darker RS version.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...24&postcount=7

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
I actually have a used left outboard lens assembly from a 2012 SS Camaro if your interested.

Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
Rocky1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
This is incorrect. In 2010 the non RS lens is more "red" than the RS which has a smoked color and is darker.

In later models they made all cars with the same tail light lens which was the darker RS version.

No, it is correct. While the RS lights are darker, the difference is not in the lens. The outer portion of the housing is painted black giving a darker appearance. He specifically asked about the lens which is the same, RS or not. Apparently you didn't look very closely at the photos in the link you posted.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
No, it is correct. While the RS lights are darker, the difference is not in the lens. The outer portion of the housing is painted black giving a darker appearance. He specifically asked about the lens which is the same, RS or not. Apparently you didn't look very closely at the photos in the link you posted.
What are you smoking? The lens has to be heated to come off the housing, it's one piece effectively.

Last edited by JerTM; 06-10-2016 at 12:14 PM.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
Rocky1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
What are you smoking? The lens has to be heated to come off the housing, it's one piece effectively.
No, the question is: What are you smoking?

The guy said that he was looking for RS "LENS". As a matter of fact, he specifically says that he is just looking for the LENS. I assume he knows the difficulty in replacing them, if he's looking for them. I just thought it would be nice for him to know that there's no difference between a RS LENS and a non-RS LENS, since he said that was what he was looking for. I answered him and he replied that was what he already thought and thanked me.

Then some guy said that I was incorrect and it was the LENS that was different and I replied to him.

Now you don't like that reply. If you think that the tail light is effectively one piece and can't be disassembled, how do you think that someone figured out the LENS is the same and the difference is in the housing in the first place?

Last edited by Rocky1974; 06-10-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
I don't have any, but the RS uses the same lens as the non-RS.
You got it, you know what your talking about. +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post

What Rocky1974 said is the truth, we have done this lots of times, and all you do is cut the lens off with a super thin cut off wheel.

Quote:
+100

Quote:
He is 100% right dont go there.

Quote:
No, the question is: What are you smoking?

The guy said that he was looking for RS "LENS". As a matter of fact, he specifically says that he is just looking for the LENS. I assume he knows the difficulty in replacing them, if he's looking for them. I just thought it would be nice for him to know that there's no difference between a RS LENS and a non-RS LENS, since he said that was what he was looking for. I answered him, he said that was what he already thought and thanked me.

Then some guy said that I was incorrect and it was the LENS that was different and I replied to him.

Now you don't like that reply. If you think that the tail light is effectively one piece and can't be disassembled, how do you think that someone figured out the LENS is the same and the difference is in the housing in the first place?
Rocky1974 dont let any one sway you, you have it right.

OP if you PM me i have some extra lens around here, LOL let me know what you need and i will try to help if i have them.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #12
Rocky1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
You got it, you know what your talking about. +1

What Rocky1974 said is the truth, we have done this lots of times, and all you do is cut the lens off with a super thin cut off wheel.

+100

He is 100% right dont go there.

Rocky1974 dont let any one sway you, you have it right.

OP if you PM me i have some extra lens around here, LOL let me know what you need and i will try to help if i have them.
Hey! Ofer to my rescue! That's almost as good as the time that the Fbod Father came my rescue when I told everybody that the 5th Gen was a F-Body too.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I guess if the OP wants to spend all that time to hack apart a taillight and have the possibility of it leaking it's up to him. Personally I would just buy the assembly and be done with it.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #14
Rocky1974

Quote:
I guess if the OP wants to spend all that time to hack apart a taillight and have the possibility of it leaking it's up to him. Personally I would just buy the assembly and be done with it.
I would too, but that was never the question.