Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-30-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
evonschu

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Question How to install AC belt

Hey all. Anyone have any tips on how to install the A/C stretch belt on 2013 ZL1? I have a 10" crank pulley and the tool I got with the belt from Rockauto doesn't have room to slide on the balancer like various youtube how to videos I've seen. Tried leverage installing onto the compressor but that was a lost cause. There a better tool for getting it on there possibly from the A/C compressor side vs the crank side since I have very little room to do anything on that side?

This is the tool I got with it that would not fit:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...BH8JMuX99fNHVx

2013 Camaro ZL1 M6: Rotofab CAI, JDP ZL-R Rough Idle Cam, Upgraded Valve Springs and Pushrods, Ron Davis Heat Exchanger, Alky Methanol Injection, Rx Catch Can, 87mm VMAX Ported TB, Summit Performance Spark Plug Wires, 10" Lower Pulley, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with Magnaflow Cats, ID850 Injectors, Johnson 2110R lifters, EBC Slotted Rotors+Hawk Pads, Rotofab SC Coolant Reservoir, 160* Thermostat, Custom Mild to Wild switch, Tune, 1st to 4th bypass. 685 RWHP / 640 RWTQ.
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
Hey all. Anyone have any tips on how to install the A/C stretch belt on 2013 ZL1? I have a 10" crank pulley and the tool I got with the belt from Rockauto doesn't have room to slide on the balancer like various youtube how to videos I've seen. Tried leverage installing onto the compressor but that was a lost cause. There a better tool for getting it on there possibly from the A/C compressor side vs the crank side since I have very little room to do anything on that side?

This is the tool I got with it that would not fit:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...BH8JMuX99fNHVx

Large socket wrench on the damper and the belt on the damper first then get a portion of the belt on the AC unit and walk the belt on by turning the damper bolt. Its a stretchy so it will walk right on.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
evonschu

Ya I tried that. I can't really even get a portion of the belt on the A/C pulley to do that. Think that's why you usually need the tool. Wondering if anyone knows of a tool or other method that can be used on the A/C compressor pulley side.
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6: Rotofab CAI, JDP ZL-R Rough Idle Cam, Upgraded Valve Springs and Pushrods, Ron Davis Heat Exchanger, Alky Methanol Injection, Rx Catch Can, 87mm VMAX Ported TB, Summit Performance Spark Plug Wires, 10" Lower Pulley, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with Magnaflow Cats, ID850 Injectors, Johnson 2110R lifters, EBC Slotted Rotors+Hawk Pads, Rotofab SC Coolant Reservoir, 160* Thermostat, Custom Mild to Wild switch, Tune, 1st to 4th bypass. 685 RWHP / 640 RWTQ.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:39 PM   #4
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
Ya I tried that. I can't really even get a portion of the belt on the A/C pulley to do that. Think that's why you usually need the tool. Wondering if anyone knows of a tool or other method that can be used on the A/C compressor pulley side.
Worked for me and everyone else I know that had to put a lower pulley on.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:02 PM   #5
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Hope you got the right belt. Like ZMEnow says it works for everyone else. Good luck
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:07 AM   #6
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
I'm not sure what you're doing, the larger 10% pulley is not installed till after the AC belt is on...the two smaller pulley's out of 3 on the ZL1, use the factory AC belt and then for the water pump, the far back one is the AC belt (closest to block), then the water pump and then the SC on the 10%... the 3rd belt will be for your 10% lower and that is for the SC...

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #7
MLC_LSA

Drives: 2013 Summit White ZL1 M6
I just had to do this when I did a new cam and service my innovators balancer. I can relate to your frustration. I originally endured multiple hours sweating and scratching up my arms trying to get the belt on. In the end I found this youtube video:

I followed this method and it worked just fine. It took like 5 minutes. If you have zip ties or thin rope you can use it to keep the belt from walking off the bottom of the crank pulley and possibly the AC pulley (like he shows it walking off in the video). You might need to remove the camshaft sensor wiring too, it could get damaged or in the way. Once enough of the belt is on the balancer you'll feel alot of resistance, that's the point where the belt needs to stretch. Give it hell and it should walk right on. Hang in there and follow the video above, you'll get it!
MLC_LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #8
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC_LSA View Post
I just had to do this when I did a new cam and service my innovators balancer. I can relate to your frustration. I originally endured multiple hours sweating and scratching up my arms trying to get the belt on. In the end I found this youtube video:

I followed this method and it worked just fine. It took like 5 minutes. If you have zip ties or thin rope you can use it to keep the belt from walking off the bottom of the crank pulley and possibly the AC pulley (like he shows it walking off in the video). You might need to remove the camshaft sensor wiring too, it could get damaged or in the way. Once enough of the belt is on the balancer you'll feel alot of resistance, that's the point where the belt needs to stretch. Give it hell and it should walk right on. Hang in there and follow the video above, you'll get it!

This method works great. Zip ties are a big help. A long breaker bar helps. I've got the tool, it's useless!
Under Hood - Painted strut bar ends w/custom Polished Stainless mounting hardware, E2 CC, RotoFab CAI, ZL1 underhood decal, Amsoil oil, Black billet strut covers, Metco pulleys, intercooler reservoir, JRE 75 RWHP package.
Chassis - Hawk ceramic brake pads, ZL1 wheel decals, Amsoil fluids
Interior - A pillar gauge pod w/Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, Polished ZL1 speaker rings, ZL1 mats and console lid, Custom GPS mount
Exterior - 3M clear bra, LED driving lights, PIAA Plasma Ion yellow fog lights, Window tint, CF bowties, Technostalgia sequential tail lights

1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #9
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I just man handled mine. Rotated the crank as I willed it on by hand lol. I have a tool to do it again when i put on the ATI balancer and I'll post up how that goes.
2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:54 AM   #10
evonschu

I took another crack at this tonight with a buddy and after a while I finally got it on there by basically getting it partially on the AC pulley with a chisel type tool to help it on there as I turned the crank pulley while partially getting it on the crank pulley at the same time. It was lodged kind of sideways between the middle crank pulley and the pulley closest to the engine it actually needed to be on to start. It took a lot of turning in both directions on the crank to get it willed on there, but finally got it. Having a 10" (Not 10% SamHouseIII) outer crank pulley blocking the way did not make this anywhere as easy as that video portrays. Can't really describe the process well, but was a pita. Hopefully this belt doesn't wear out anytime soon. The tool to help with this was worthless with a large aftermarket pulley like I got.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:22 AM   #11
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I got mine on about 75% then cranked over the engine and is worked itself on. The tool does not help much. Prob the worst belt I ever had to put on and I worked in vars for 11 years lol.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:49 PM   #12
bertie

Drives: 2001 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC_LSA View Post

That's a pretty good video guide! We'll work on a ZL1 soon after we finished installing the bumper and fender flares on the truck this week and clear the garage. The car is due for new AC belt and the previous owner wasn't able to change it.
bertie is offline   Reply With Quote