Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-25-2018, 11:45 PM   #1
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Heartbeat or ESS Performance Supercharger?

Is Sledge a Show Car or Go_Car you might ask?

Both.

As for power goals, I don't care for much anything over 650wheel...

No, I don't drag race, and yes I do road race, albeit only 1-2(if lucky) weeks of the entire year.

Sledge averages about 5000km (3106miles) per year.

I love the look of the Heartbeat. Most PD's do have that going for it under the hood, unlike centri kits, which look a bit ugly if you ask me.

That being said, I love the look of the ESS Performance centri kit! It's the first centri kit that I ever saw, that made me say,

"wow that looks "

It's also a centri, and we can't deny all things centri, and it's latest dyno numbers on here are off to a very positive, and impressive start when it comes to efficiency.

The Heartbeat is prolly the best of the PD bunch on cooling efficiency. It's definitely a unique setup, and I really appreciate something like that..unique.

From what I can tell, most, if not all of the Heartbeat owners on here, seem to be stoked with their purchase, even after racking up the odometer with many miles of trouble free driving it seems.

Man, I think I'd be almost willing to buy an airline ticket, and fly to where I could drive a Heartbeat vs ESS back to back! Only then would I know for sure.

That however is a long shot, so I can only depend on a nice discussion on here, to help me settle this. I think? lol

Here are a couple of links of these 2 respective SC's with pics.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397447

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517605
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
You're going to hate the PD blower the first time you road race unless you have some extensive cooling upgrades
Old 03-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
I'd be glad to answer any questions you had about the ESS kit. Third party opinions are always nice. PM me.

I'm really happy with mine.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff657756 View Post
You're going to hate the PD blower the first time you road race unless you have some extensive cooling upgrades
Why is that? Seems like that is exactly what the Heartbeat was designed for.

It's been on my radar for that reason as a good option. Of course heat will go up when you add boost of any kind, IATs and heat soak are always a battle.

The ad/literature on the heartbeat claims the extensive cooling integrated in the unit help it keep temperature rise consistent at 20% on the road course for lap after lap. That combined with a robust meth/water system would keep you singing along all day long without nasty, power sucking heat soak.

Hell my stock LS3 heat soaks and feels like a complete dog after a relatively short time in 80+ degree temps.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
was taken from a Formula 1 setup so....
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:15 AM   #6
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Heatbeat at stock boost levels should be nice on a road course. External oil cooler is a must. Bigger coolant reservoir is a +
Check out HAMMDO's build he roadraces an LSA supercharger first on a 376 then stroker 416.

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:55 PM   #7
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
I'd be glad to answer any questions you had about the ESS kit. Third party opinions are always nice. PM me.

I'm really happy with mine.
I've seen your dyno posts, very

Can you describe the sound of this SC for me?

Typical kettle whistle sound?

Stealthy?

Cool high pitch whine at speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racesloth View Post
Heatbeat at stock boost levels should be nice on a road course. External oil cooler is a must. Bigger coolant reservoir is a +
Check out HAMMDO's build he roadraces an LSA supercharger first on a 376 then stroker 416.
I have. Not knocking the LSA, but the Heartbeat def looks miles ahead out_of_the_box.
Yes, it is more expensive than the LSA, but I'm OK with that.

Like you said, prolly NICE at stock boost on a road course, especially in our cooler climate up here ; ).

I know the ESS is quite knew for our application on here, so I can't expect much debate traffic....well at least not yet.

Still on the fence between these two, I like them both, thankfully I'm in no rush.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post

Stealthy?

I have. Not knocking the LSA, but the Heartbeat def looks miles ahead out_of_the_box.

Like you said, prolly NICE at stock boost on a road course, especially in our cooler climate up here ; ).

I know the ESS is quite knew for our application on here, so I can't expect much debate traffic....well at least not yet.

Still on the fence between these two, I like them both, thankfully I'm in no rush.
Lucky for you boost is amazing! I don't think you can go wrong either way. Just be honest with yourself as far as power goals you want. I say set a target HP range and then add 150 HP.

I started with and ECS kit on my SBE now I have TT on my SBE and planning for 1000 rwhp on a built engine.
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
eLeSthree

Quote:

Stealthy?

It sounds exactly like my buddys Procharged 2015 Camaro SS. lol.

There is a slight whistle at idle in between the cam chugging. At part throttle driving when it creates boost, but your foot isn't demanding boost, you can hear the surge valve recirculating back into the intake. Kind of like a constant kooooooosssssshhh Pretty cool.

When you floor it, i dont really hear anything from the Supercharger at all, until you shift or lift, then you hear the surge valve open and whoooooosh.

There is ZERO whine like you would get with a whipple or roots. (too bad)

It's possible to hear me drive by and not know its supercharged at all.

I have a set of MT ET streets in the mail, because I havent been able to get much past 5500rpm without spinning in 3rd.

Something to keep in mind... when your need for horsepower grows, you can simply swap the head unit to any Vortech. How versatile is the Heartbeat?

Going back to a dynojet soon, to rev it to 6800. I'd bet it makes 730 on pump.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
Old 04-01-2018, 10:16 PM   #10
Camaro Dude

Quote:
It sounds exactly like my buddys Procharged 2015 Camaro SS. lol.

There is a slight whistle at idle in between the cam chugging. At part throttle driving when it creates boost, but your foot isn't demanding boost, you can hear the surge valve recirculating back into the intake. Kind of like a constant kooooooosssssshhh Pretty cool.

When you floor it, i dont really hear anything from the Supercharger at all, until you shift or lift, then you hear the surge valve open and whoooooosh.

There is ZERO whine like you would get with a whipple or roots. (too bad)

It's possible to hear me drive by and not know its supercharged at all.

I have a set of MT ET streets in the mail, because I havent been able to get much past 5500rpm without spinning in 3rd.

Something to keep in mind... when your need for horsepower grows, you can simply swap the head unit to any Vortech. How versatile is the Heartbeat?

Going back to a dynojet soon, to rev it to 6800. I'd bet it makes 730 on pump.
Thank you man!

Your description of the SC characteristics was very informative, thank you.

I've always been on the fence on whine vs no whine, but that is an other story .

How versatile is the Heartbeat, compared to you simply swapping the head unit, to any Vortech you ask? Good question.

Well, I do know that you can pulley down to 87mm with injectors, or a 78mm with injectors. I'm not sure, if you consider that a significant enough mod or not lol, but I think it is, if I understood your question correctly?

Platinumice runs the Heartbeat with the 78mm. He claims 690hp / 633 torque on 91AKI Street Tune, bolt-ons, GT-14 cam; OR, 749HP / 670 torque, VP109 Race Tune.

You, with the ESS kit, bolt-ons, cam, are 711/638 @ 10psi, on 93AKI, albeit you strongly believe you can squeeze out a bit more if you rev it higher.

Kiiiiiiind of comparable(I think?)?

I don't know the PSI level on his Heartbeat with the 78MM.

I also did not investigate thoroughly his actual trick mods, or yours for that matter, to see if one has an edge over the other ; ).

For all practical purposes, it seems that both are capable of exceeding 650wheel, as I mentioned in my opening post, I don't care for more than 650wheel, as I plan to keep Sledge's 1LE underpinnings stock.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
eLeSthree

Quote:
Thank you man!

Your description of the SC characteristics was very informative, thank you.

I've always been on the fence on whine vs no whine, but that is an other story .

How versatile is the Heartbeat, compared to you simply swapping the head unit, to any Vortech you ask? Good question.

Well, I do know that you can pulley down to 87mm with injectors, or a 78mm with injectors. I'm not sure, if you consider that a significant enough mod or not lol, but I think it is, if I understood your question correctly?

Platinumice runs the Heartbeat with the 78mm. He claims 690hp / 633 torque on 91AKI Street Tune, bolt-ons, GT-14 cam; OR, 749HP / 670 torque, VP109 Race Tune.

You, with the ESS kit, bolt-ons, cam, are 711/638 @ 10psi, on 93AKI, albeit you strongly believe you can squeeze out a bit more if you rev it higher.

Kiiiiiiind of comparable(I think?)?

I don't know the PSI level on his Heartbeat with the 78MM.

I also did not investigate thoroughly his actual trick mods, or yours for that matter, to see if one has an edge over the other ; ).

For all practical purposes, it seems that both are capable of exceeding 650wheel, as I mentioned in my opening post, I don't care for more than 650wheel, as I plan to keep Sledge's 1LE underpinnings stock.
That maggie sure is purty.... Fly down man, I'll let you drive it.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
Old 04-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #12
Camaro Dude

Quote:
That maggie sure is purty.... Fly down man, I'll let you drive it.
Your ESS is purty too!! That’s the problem Lol

Thank you for the offer bro 👍🏼

Now just need to lineup a Heartbeat owner 😁
Old 04-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #13
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Your ESS is purty too!! That’s the problem Lol

Thank you for the offer bro 👍🏼

Now just need to lineup a Heartbeat owner 😁
you can drive mine in a couple of weeks.
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #14
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBB View Post
you can drive mine in a couple of weeks.
I’m looking at my schedule..........will let you know IF : )

In all honesty, I was leaning at the ESS, then these Blower Spacer Plates http://fiinterchillers.com/blower-spacer-plates/ for the Heartbeat slapped me on the left cheek, and say, “you can drop temps further on that buuuuteeful PD mofo !”

Soooooo now it's now back to square one here, as I research this interesting, temperature reducing apparatus.

Feel free boys.....feel free......

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 04-06-2018 at 10:38 PM. Reason: PD not PR