Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 AM   #141
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
Well after they just saved my dog from a burning house (bit of a stretch i know, i've been up for 30hrs, bear with me), i 'd be a bit put off but not completely against further business deals with them. Saleen didn't have to do the movie camaro, i mean i'm sure gm could've had a couple out in time, but weather he volunteered or was asked to, he made it for them, and that gave it more exposure than just about anything till that point. I'd seen the concept before then, but seeing a working model in that movie is what man me a fanatic. So i thank Saleen even though i dislike just about all their cars. While it's very, very sh*tty of him to say that, look at where he was, and who he was talking to. He could've be more gracious, but hell, people are people. Life goes on.
Like others have said, he could've been more proffessional about it no matter where he is or who he is talking to. But your right life goes on. I just hope never to see one of these in person.

By the way welcome to the site
Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 AM   #142
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I just hope never to see one of these abominations in person.

By the way welcome to the site
When i read it, i just felt that that should be there.

Thank You kindly.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 AM   #143
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Well after they just saved my dog from a burning house (bit of a stretch i know, i've been up for 30hrs, bear with me), i 'd be a bit put off but not completely against further business deals with them. Saleen didn't have to do the movie camaro, i mean i'm sure gm could've had a couple out in time, but weather he volunteered or was asked to, he made it for them, and that gave it more exposure than just about anything till that point. I'd seen the concept before then, but seeing a working model in that movie is what man me a fanatic. So i thank Saleen even though i dislike just about all their cars. While it's very, very sh*tty of him to say that, look at where he was, and who he was talking to. He could've be more gracious, but hell, people are people. Life goes on.
I will agree, but I'm one to hold a grudge (not really a chevy fanboy as I've driven imports my whole life and wouldn't walk away from a free gt500 or a decent priced S351). I feel that anyone who shows that much disrespect I wouldn't want to deal with, let alone be connected to them in any way shape or form. I said before that it wouldn't stop me from buying mine, but he could have at least been semi professional instead of lying or making "mistakes".

Anyways, like Milk said, welcome!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 AM   #144
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Personally I think its much more fun driving the performance car if you built it yourself (or at least designed it, even if you had another do the labor) anyway.

Leave the "upgrade packages" for the rich frat boys.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Old 01-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #145
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Well it's kinda obvious that he would be a bit hostile towards GM as his car was set to be the hero, then the big guys come in and throw down quite a bit of money to have all the heroes be their brand; H2, Solstice GXP, Camaro... then the movie company turns around and asks him to build the very car that stole his limelight. I'd probably be pissed too. So to add insult to injury, (and GM will go for it, because it'll help them out too) he'll build a Saleen Camaro, he'll make money off of it, it'll boost the Base and SS sales as most people won't want to drop as much or quite a bit more for the Saleen as an LS7 or Z28. In the end everyone wins. He'll get some sales from those who will love his cars, as there will undoubtedly be many, GM gets free advo, "Saleen, the 'stang tuners, are making our car too." And overall, we, the consumers get more choices. So while it may not be your cup of tea, it's for the best IMO.
I have nothing against Saleen and I do understand why he would be upset after having his latest Saleen Mustang design that was supposed to be the hero turn into the villain, then to be asked to build Bumblebee to add insult to injury. You can look at it both ways. I'm sure he'll make quite a bit with the Saleen Camaro and all will be forgiven at the unveiling..
Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #146
Smoke Yoshi SS

Drives: 04 M3
I'll wait for the saleen camaro to come out, before i start judging something that has no specs or pics! All of the premature bashing is pretty ignorant!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:21 AM   #147
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Seems to me like a small portion of it is bashing the SMS camaro - but there is lots of Saleen Mustang bashing and Steve Saleen bashing.

I'm up for both any day.
- Xanthos

Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 AM   #148
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
SMS != Saleen.

Steve left and formed SMS to be a completely seperate company. I'd much rather see a Saleen Camaro then a SMS camaro.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #149
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
Count on it! That's exactly what Steve Saleen has announced SMS is doing to the 5.7L Challenger R/T. And I guarantee that SMS will be doing the same thing to the 1SS Camaro once they have been out for several months and they can get them from GM at a discount. Roush and Saleen have been supercharging the 4.6L 3-valve Mustang GTs for years without forging the internals. It is very cost effective for tuners not to have to open up the stock motor.
Cammi,

I think that's why so many of us think his product is overpriced. Go to callaway and lingenfelter. They both produce supercharged kits for the Corvette LS3 with some cosmetic stuff. The most expensive of which are 20K. You can get a 500+hp package for around 11-13K putting the total cost of the camaro around 45K -55K Assuming they start with a 1SS.

So, when compared to comparable Chevy tuners He just doesn't compare. And I'd argue that Roush has the same problem but I do have more respect for him than I do Saleen.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #150
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Cammi,

I think that's why so many of us think his product is overpriced. Go to callaway and lingenfelter. They both produce supercharged kits for the Corvette LS3 with some cosmetic stuff. The most expensive of which are 20K. You can get a 500+hp package for around 11-13K putting the total cost of the camaro around 45K -55K Assuming they start with a 1SS.

So, when compared to comparable Chevy tuners He just doesn't compare. And I'd argue that Roush has the same problem but I do have more respect for him than I do Saleen.
I agree with the above completely.
- Xanthos

Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 AM   #151
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
he wont get my money ,plus im sure that the twin turbos that will be going into my car keep me from being worried.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #152
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Steve's reason for leaving was that he wanted to work with imports and Saleen didn't want to. He left to create his own company for creative design as opposed to being pigeonholed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I hear that he lost more then 50% of his shares of his own company so we have lost control of his own company. So retires from Saleen Inc. because he cannot control his own company anymore. But then he got bored and made SMS.

True: Saleen INC. != SMS

Saleen is different company then SMS. SMS still have not made any cars yet so we do not know what kind of company he has yet. Let just see what SMS can do for the camaro before you guys talk sh!t.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #153
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkwpc View Post
I hear that he lost more then 50% of his shares of his own company so we have lost control of his own company. So retires from Saleen Inc. because he cannot control his own company anymore. But then he got bored and made SMS.

True: Saleen INC. != SMS

Saleen is different company then SMS. SMS still have not made any cars yet so we do not know what kind of company he has yet. Let just see what SMS can do for the camaro before you guys talk sh!t.
Well, there is the SMS challenger.
- Xanthos

Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #154
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Well, there is the SMS challenger.
- Xanthos
I have seen only computer drawings of it but not a actual car yet. It can be changed before it comes out.

Plus the challenger is a challenger, its a old design that you cannot do much with.

Last edited by linkwpc; 01-08-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Closed Thread