Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #197
TrekGTO

Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Don't know if she had a username on here but yeah I bought it through someone with several convos with you directly as well as during the install. I use my AC quite a bit but don't often use the chiller as the cars cabin heats up too quickly when its on.....trade-off I guess
Chiller is on when AC is on, automatically
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #198
swiftkart

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 M6
I'm sure he is talking about when in competition mode the cabin heats up, but it's designed to do that, he may not know it or understand why.
swiftkart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #199
TrekGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftkart View Post
I'm sure he is talking about when in competition mode the cabin heats up, but it's designed to do that, he may not know it or understand why.
I agree and it’s been 3 years!

Super Chiller is on any time AC is on, however Competition Mode is when AC is on and you flip the switch to turn off cabin AC and all the cooling goes to Super Chiller.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #200
TrekGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
When I installed the Whipple, their kit supplies an additional IAT sensor, which is located in the lower intake manifold, below the blower discharge port. Their instructions have you remove the wires from the MAF IAT sensor and connect them to the supplied IAT sensor. I was looking to see if I could hook up the MAF IAT sensor and monitor both before/after temps of the blower. I'm really curious to see how well my intercooler and inter-chiller setup are performing.
I may have to look into changing out my A-pillar gauges for something that will let me do more than just monitor Boost and AFR.

-Scott
IAT1 is a slow reacting factory sensor, the one you have from Whipple should be fast? You won’t see temperatures like a stock LSA in winter with your Whipple. Do you have the thermometer working that came with your Super Chiller and are you seeing below freezing Chiller temperatures when its 50 – 70 out? Don’t you have a dash display of temperature out, that should be close to what IAT1 would be? I have wanted to input all this into HP tuners for a long time and log on a graph, Matt was going to do it but my clutch started slipping again @ WOT. I don’t know how but he was going to input the IAT1 and ICWT on the extra inputs. I have had tuners tell me they temporarily use the Transmission temperature input to log other temperatures but my M6 does not have that.

70s out

Old 09-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #201
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGTO View Post
Chiller is on when AC is on, automatically
respectfully disagree for my specific car....I have the toggle (competition mode I think you called it). I read the recent response...so maybe I AM confused. My understanding is that the toggle turned it off/on. So if it's ALWAYS on when the AC is on......regardless of wether the toggle/LED is on....whats the purpose the toggle? If it's just to turn the AC off in the cabin....seems kind of pointless as you (in theory) only use the chillier in warm climate when car is running warm I guess..... as almost no need to use in winter/cold weather.....so why would you not WANT the AC on inside the cabin?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #202
TrekGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
respectfully disagree for my specific car....I have the toggle (competition mode I think you called it). I read the recent response...so maybe I AM confused. My understanding is that the toggle turned it off/on. So if it's ALWAYS on when the AC is on......regardless of wether the toggle/LED is on....whats the purpose the toggle? If it's just to turn the AC off in the cabin....seems kind of pointless as you (in theory) only use the chillier in warm climate when car is running warm I guess..... as almost no need to use in winter/cold weather.....so why would you not WANT the AC on inside the cabin?
Super Chiller is on any time AC compressor is on. Competition Mode is when AC is on and you flip the switch to turn off cabin AC and all the Freon goes to Chiller so no condensation from cabin leaks on track. That is why cabin is not cooling when you turn off cabin. Also Chiller is on with AC for defrost that you may be using in winter.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:02 AM   #203
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
IAT1 is a slow reacting factory sensor, the one you have from Whipple should be fast? You won’t see temperatures like a stock LSA in winter with your Whipple. Do you have the thermometer working that came with your Super Chiller and are you seeing below freezing Chiller temperatures when its 50 – 70 out? Don’t you have a dash display of temperature out, that should be close to what IAT1 would be? I have wanted to input all this into HP tuners for a long time and log on a graph, Matt was going to do it but my clutch started slipping again @ WOT. I don’t know how but he was going to input the IAT1 and ICWT on the extra inputs. I have had tuners tell me they temporarily use the Transmission temperature input to log other temperatures but my M6 does not have that.
The IAT sensor supplied from Whipple seems to respond just fine. I do have the thermometer, supplied with the kit, hooked up and operating. I can't remember what ICWT I was seeing during the spring/fall. I'll be headed home in late October, so I'll get a chance to see.
I do have a display of ambient temperature, and I'd agree that IAT1 (pre-blower) should be close to ambient. I'm pretty sure I need to add another couple ounces of R134a, as well as an ounce of PAG oil. I will look at the pressures once I return home and pull the car out of storage.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:09 AM   #204
TrekGTO

Quote:
The IAT sensor supplied from Whipple seems to respond just fine. I do have the thermometer, supplied with the kit, hooked up and operating. I can't remember what ICWT I was seeing during the spring/fall. I'll be headed home in late October, so I'll get a chance to see.
I do have a display of ambient temperature, and I'd agree that IAT1 (pre-blower) should be close to ambient. I'm pretty sure I need to add another couple ounces of R134a, as well as an ounce of PAG oil. I will look at the pressures once I return home and pull the car out of storage.
Sounds good, I did not realize you were in a storage situation. Charge is based on all the installs done but with a variable output compressor it is still difficult and may require add subtract method. The Camaro compressor is not computer controlled like some of the latest models. The length of the liquid line is the biggest factor, which is where the liquid Freon @ high pressure is, once it enters the Chiller it is a low pressure gas so volume is greatly reduced. Again with my Whipple experience across multiple model cars and high RPMs, I suspect increasing the reservoir of refrigerated water would be the way to go. I am still willing to do an upgrade to the 18”, it would recover faster.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #205
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
Sounds good, I did not realize you were in a storage situation. Charge is based on all the installs done but with a variable output compressor it is still difficult and may require add subtract method. The Camaro compressor is not computer controlled like some of the latest models. The length of the liquid line is the biggest factor, which is where the liquid Freon @ high pressure is, once it enters the Chiller it is a low pressure gas so volume is greatly reduced. Again with my Whipple experience across multiple model cars and high RPMs, I suspect increasing the reservoir of refrigerated water would be the way to go. I am still willing to do an upgrade to the 18”, it would recover faster.
Decided that storage was the best option for the car during my deployment.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:55 AM   #206
TrekGTO

Quote:
Correct, I have the 30 plate. I think the highest IATs that I've seen so far were about 115-120, after a 1/4-mile pass in May, in Fayetteville, NC. I think the ICWT was maybe high 50's - low 60's, IIRC. It's also possible that I don't have the Freon/PAG oil ratio correct either. Got any specs for how much additional Freon/PAG oil is required after adding the chiller to the system?
PM me for your Xtreme upgrade price or post in the sponsor section.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #207
TrekGTO

We have the best performing Interchiller system on the market; our temperatures are the lowest possible in any climate. You don’t want to oversize the Chiller and freeze the intercooler in winter, the evaporator is protected from freezing but not the intercooler. That is one reason every AI Interchiller is fitted with a temp display, you can always turn off the AC manually. GM only tested for ambient freezing not internal. My GTO only has the smallest Chiller and we don’t get nearly the Freezing winter of north but I run tires for year round and have done below 30 testing and the intercooler has never gone below 22deg. Chances are you wont be driving below freezing anyway. I think the ZR1 has had more intercooler failures then ZL1 or CTS V.

Our CNC connections are of the highest quality standards available anywhere and make installation much easier with only 2 short OEM like AC hose assemblies. No clamps or zip ties holding on AC hoses. Only the GTO and Escalade have a long return hose. You can see much of the evolution on this forum alone to where we are now with years of testing and no one to copy from.

Congratulations to Levi (2013 ZL1 #7860) for his track success and special thanks for a detailed evaluation! IAT1 was 115deg and IAT2 was 34deg and after a ¼ mile pass within 3-4 minutes the Chiller was 32deg and IAT2 was 39deg and this is spinning the blower hard. We probably won’t see any more 95deg testing until after winter. This is the first ZL1 with the Xtreme Chiller but there are many cars and trucks fitted with the 30 plate and 40 plate.

Don’t forget our wiring harness ready to go with 3 configurations, our track mode with second relay does it all automatically, again years of development to simplify installation to where we are now.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #208
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
I did not read through all of this but my questions of here.

Can i turn the AC independent from this cooler systems. When I am racing or my customers we don't want to turn on the AC but would like this system to on during the race.
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #209
TrekGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-AMSOIL View Post
I did not read through all of this but my questions of here.

Can i turn the AC independent from this cooler systems. When I am racing or my customers we don't want to turn on the AC but would like this system to on during the race.
The compressor has to be on but in competition mode the Freon is turned off to cabin. In street mode AC is normal and Chiller is on too.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #210
TrekGTO

Can you see the Super Chiller Freon line in these pictures?

That is why we use formed aluminum lines, no jip ties. See all the Freon and power steering hoses, aluminum crimp fittings, which is why we use internal barb and crimp fittings. They are tight internal and external before they are crimped with a vent hole so they don’t trap air. With internal barb and external crimp you are good to go.

Not to be confused with Beadlock Fittings that look very similar. Our fittings and hose are pressed together before they are crimped. I have posted many pics of the internal fittings before hose is pressed on and you see the 3 barbs which are pressed into hose and at the same time the sleeve on the hose gets tight and any air exits the vent hole. Only then is the sleeve crimped.

We have used that aluminum line since 2011 and never had a leak or had a request for a replacement. Never had a barb and crimp hose leak since we started in 09. That is barrier Freon hose that exceeds OEM. Brand name Parker or Good Year.

Last edited by TrekGTO; 01-05-2016 at 08:11 PM.