Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
Race4Keep

Drives: Red 2010 SS M6
2010 broke valve spring @ 56k miles.

Evening all, pulling into work the other day my 2010 SS started to misfire then knock. I had it towed to the dealer and they said a valve spring broke and I needed a new motor and quoted me $7,300. I've seen a number of forum post about some people experiencing this. Since mine is out of warranty Chevy kindly declined to help out in any way. I am not the original owner of the car.

I'm curious since you all are not the ones with a $19,000 boat anchor and are less biased. Do you think it's the right thing for Chevy to do? Do you think they don't owe me anything? I didn't expect them to cover it but it would have been nice if they did something. I don't understand how business can build a loyal customer base without returning the loyalty in extreme cases like this. If it was a minor repair, I wouldn't have thought twice about it but to have to replace and entire motor in 56k miles... That I cannot handle and I'm now probably going to buy a cheap car of craigslist while I save up to fix my camaro.
Race4Keep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:38 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Car is out of drive train warranty. They won't do anything for you. Kind of sucks since they say the cover the motor to 100,000 miles.

This is the reason I will not own my Camaro after next October unless for some stupid reason I decided to by an extended warranty.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
Is the engine stock? If so a Broken valve spring doesnt mean you need a new engine. Unless more damage was done when it broke. I would get a second Opinion. Sounds like there gonna rip you off.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
A turn key LS3 from Jegs is $6500 bucks - just for comparisons sake. And you very likely don't need to replace everything. A broken spring can do a lot of damage to the head, piston, and bore if it dropped the valve and made contact with the piston. If run for very long after failure those bits of metal find there way into all sorts of places, so without being able to fully evaluate the engine it's hard to know all what has/hasn't been hurt. Probably needs a new head/piston and some work on the bore at a minimum. Still, $7,300 sounds way to steep, I'd contact a local shop that specializes in performance/aftermarket and see what they could offer - I would imagine you have some good options in Austin.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Can you wrench? These cars are so easy to work on....look the simple fact of the matter is you bought the car fully aware no warranty, right? So to bash after the fact is meh...

ONLY if there had been a recall due to factory failure and the manufacture extended something would you have an option...

That dealer will prob male $2000 plus for labor and parts mark up....as stated before damage COULD be minimal all things considered...rebuild the bitch and then you will KNOW what you have....these cars are so freakin fun...peace out...
Old 09-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
First, sorry that happened to you. Its and unfortunate luck of the draw. A few have had that happen. GM is very unlikely to do anything since the power train warranty has expired. Dealer's usually offer an extended warranty, but if you elected to not buy one, then they will be disinclined to do anything to help you out.

If you can work on cars, you may be able to pull the heads to see what really happened and if a new engine is needed, but, if not, maybe one of the local shops can verify you really do need a new engine and possible set you up.

These are easy cars to work on for sure, but you still need to have the service manuals to do any job 'correctly'.

If you really like the car (and the vast majority of us do), then saving up for the fix is the right direction. You can get an LSX version installed, just an option, if you think you'll ever go 'mod' crazy ;o)

Keep us posted...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
If the car is out of warranty it's out of warranty. Why would you expect any manufacturer to cover a failure out of a warranty that you knew about at the time of purchase? It sucks with only 50 some thousand miles to have a major failure , but life sucks sometimes. If you are that upset, don't buy any more GM products. That is the only leverage as consumers that we have against companies.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
Race4Keep

Yes, the car is stock. I am pulling the head now and plan to fix it myself. Just tough cause this is my daily driver.

The reason I feel GM should offer me *some* sort of help is there seems to be a number of these yellow valve springs breaking, there are quite a number of posts about it on different website forums. This appears to be a known issue and GM has changed them out in newer version of the LS3.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #9
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
If the car is out of warranty it's out of warranty. Why would you expect any manufacturer to cover a failure out of a warranty that you knew about at the time of purchase? It sucks with only 50 some thousand miles to have a major failure , but life sucks sometimes. If you are that upset, don't buy any more GM products. That is the only leverage as consumers that we have against companies.
It wouldn't hurt to contact GM (not the dealer) and ask for help. I've had them fix issues on two different cars that were out of warranty.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #10
Race4Keep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
It wouldn't hurt to contact GM (not the dealer) and ask for help. I've had them fix issues on two different cars that were out of warranty.
I have, all they do is keep replying that the car is out of warranty.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #11
Race4Keep

If there is such a thing as being lucky in this scenario, I guess I am. New piston and head and I should be back on the road again. Definitely replacing the springs on the other side though too!

Old 10-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Yknjack
Yknjack

Drives: 2014 Yellow RS Vert
Bad to have happened but good pictures

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Yknjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
Gearheaded

Drives: 2014 SS
Good deal man! Glad it was minimal all things considered.
2009 YZF R1 - Race bike (road course)(totaled racing)
2008 YZF R6 - Race bike (road course)(still own)
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #14
Switches

Drives: 2010 camaro SS
This exact thing happens to my 2010 ss I bought. Seems to be an issue with early LS3's. I was told by the dealer GM is aware of the issue but not enough for a recall? I Only owned 2 months and 1500 miles. Car had 44,700 miles. Spring broke , dropped valve . Cracked cylinder ,piston and did the same thing to the valve. Even shot broken head pieces up into the plenum. Dealer gave a 3000 or 3 month warrenty when I bought it. They covered the repair. New GM ls3 crate engine. Covers parts and labor up to the sum of $8569.79. My cost was 100 bucks.
Switches is offline   Reply With Quote