Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #43
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamidar05 View Post
Can't believe there is so much skepticism....

The end result gains probably aren't that much different for any CAI.. 10, 15, 20 HP isn't that much until you start opening up the back end too... any of the CAIs are going to be an improvement over stock (evne though some guys say it's just as good), so relax and be happy with what you have or wait and see.

I am betting Vararam has a pretty powerful computer program that helps design their stuff using the laws of physics.... so I'd say that counts a bit more than a tube and a can, but the end result might not be that much different if your tube and can are big enough and well placed.

So that's my semi-engineer layman 2 cents and I'm planning on drinking the cool-aid and being happy, though I'm not looking forward to undoing the top of the radiator....
I wasn't too excited about it either. But, as the guys out at our local meet saw last night, Patrick made two hard (shoot...I don't know what the hell they are made of...).."plastic???" things that sit on the top of the radiator which the bottom of the air box sits on. Believe me...that radiator no longer swings back and forth like before.

Yes...it's ALMOST solid in place....I think you will be satisfied. And the fact that it's tilted, so far, hasn't done anything to my car...or 2SS's car...who's had it on for some 12.000 miles. It won't hurt it a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Loosen the clamps and slide the MAF around CW or CCW. That what I mean about adjustable. Makes a huge difference.
Production models won't do that.
Mine does not do that. The MAF is fixed. That was the other unit he was testing.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #44
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Guys right now i am testing the K&N CAI, Let me say it looks good and is a fast install, Big air filter too,

But that is where it stops, On the K&N unit if i get on the unit hard it gos all the way up on the RPM but it dos not fell like it is pulling hard at all,Tag can vouch for this i think, For me at 2500 to 6500 my beta unit pulls hard and if i am not fast on the shifter i hit the rev limiter before i can shift the car.

I have not had any problems with the unit, As for as the new parts for the radiator i did not have any thing holding the radiator in place all the time i was using the unit.(p.s. cant believe i still don't have it back on the car)
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #45
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
For me at 2500 to 6500 my beta unit pulls hard and if i am not fast on the shifter i hit the rev limiter before i can shift the car.

(p.s. cant believe i still don't have it back on the car)
Torque is definitely felt in the butt dyno... and I've always been skeptical of the butt dyno...

I can't believe you took it of either...
Old 12-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #46
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66DeuceLS1 View Post
It's an engineering thing....and most people that have never banged their heads against the wall in fluids or thermodynamics classes generally cannot wrap their minds around how this can happen. It is possible to do. No heated sensor or cooling charge is needed...all that is needed is a design on the intake that has a pressure differential between two sides of an orifice which creates a higher velocity on the exit of the flow. When this occurs, the air accelerates creating a cooler air temp.

Another example to contemplate is when you see contrails across the sky for an aircraft, or even the wing of the aircraft itself. The contrail is caused by air hitting the front of the wing heats up and while flowing over the top, it accelerates and that temp happens quick. When there is enough moisture in the air at attitude, it condenses into a vapor stream. Likewise for the lift on the wing....without a pressure differential between top and bottom of the wing surface, no flie!

I believe that the air at 30,000 feet is of a less density due to the less weight on top of it. The earth's gravity is holding the atmosphere and is excerting 14.7lbs of pressure per sq.in. at 70 deg. F at sea level. The higher up you go, the less pressure due to less molecues stack up on top of each other and less temp. .
The engine compresses the air, adds fuel. The compressed air condenses the water together ,and with addition the burning of the fuel, produces the water vapor.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #47
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Torque is definitely felt in the butt dyno... and I've always been skeptical of the butt dyno...

I can't believe you took it of either...
If someone askes me if I want to feel some torque...I'm going to
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #48
MadMav

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6
Some of you guys are killing me here. The engine isn't drawing in air faster than the intake can supply, therefore not creating a situation of accelerated air temp decrease.

And in order for a decrease of plenum temp due to surface temp transference....it would require a constant ambient flow around the box. Even then, cooling would not go below ambient temps.

Still interested in the intake once everything settles down.

Mav

P.S. I'm really not a smart man Jenny......but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:24 AM   #49
MikeW
Bowtie Brotherhood

Drives: 04 Blazer ZR2, 2010 2SS/RS
Love a good debate
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #50
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
Love a good debate
Until an TOTALLY independent shop puts a retail version on the dyno, there will always be this debate. Now that the kits are being shipped it shouldn't be long now. No specific info has been released that wasn't from VR themselves. I'm not counting the dyno post from Tag since it didn't really go into any details other than what his car put down with LT headers. VR was also there for testing.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #51
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Until an TOTALLY independent shop puts a retail version on the dyno, there will always be this debate. Now that the kits are being shipped it shouldn't be long now. No specific info has been released that wasn't from VR themselves. I'm not counting the dyno post from Tag since it didn't really go into any details other than what his car put down with LT headers. VR was also there for testing.
I completely understand.

I know how everyone feels and how everyone is skeptical. You guys will see just what is going on once they ship...and you know that there will be more than one person who tosses it up on the dyno for a few pulls...stock and then with the CAI. I simply can't wait for the #'s to pop up.

And...

I know you all really want to see #'s from a stock car. ...with a preference of dyno vids... I'd give it a week and we'll begin to see those videos.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #52
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
well how much power do u think we can get off of the vr with a stock set up?

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #53
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
well how much power do u think we can get off of the vr with a stock set up?

Please don't get this started again. All the info that anyone has is listed on their site.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:22 AM   #54
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Yep. I'm not going to toss out a number...people will start up all over again.

We'll just let it be for now. Like I said, you'll see some #'s for stock cars soon, I'm sure.

Like everyone else here, I can't wait to get my hands on a production unit.