Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Question A lot of V6 to V8 trades:

I have to say the itch to buy the SS has hit me a time or two but I always come back to the point that I bought my car to have respectable horsepower and great gas mileage. In addition to that I have now added enough mods to negate any kind of a deal I would get with a trade in. I also opted out of the SS because I have a '76 Camaro with, at the time, was a 305 V8 (now is has a stout 383). I have a 'show' car and a 'go' car.

So I guess what I am getting at, for those of us that are sticking with the V6 what are your reasons? Don't need the V8? Have another car to play with? Have invested enough in mods? Let me hear it!
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
I've thought about trading in the the SS once or twice. First off it would never happen because my dad would kill me haha. With this being my first car like this I figured a v6 would be enough and would be a great start to learning about cars and learning how to work on them. The final and most important reason I havent traded in or dont really think about trading in is because of the sentimental value. I love my car very much we have been through a lot in 16k miles lol.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
I frequently have the itch to trade, have even looked at a couple of SS's. But at the end of the day I just can't pull the trigger as the V6 is enough car for me. Plus I've invested a ton of time into my car and love it would and would really miss it. Now this is not to say I never will, but if I ever do it would have been a very long, well thought out decision.

I also believe a lot of people are falling to the pressures of C5 and upgrading when they have no financial business/responsibility to do so. I've come to this by reading some of the threads leading up to the member trading up. If fact I remember a member telling me that were at a dealership look to trade up to an SS, then a month later he was close to losing his V6 due to finances.

Instead of trading I think I see an RX FI system in my future.

Last edited by nyrfan; 08-09-2012 at 02:08 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
I am one of the many that will be/have traded up. Sold a couple mods here on the forums, and the other mods will be transferred to the new car.
For the performance I want, it's just simpler to start off with an SS. I don't want to have to go FI and then replace all the suspension just to get up to a decent SS performance, while losing warranty on everything. I do think the v6 is a stout performer, but coming from a car with 325+ hp on around 2700 lbs, I am just used to more performance.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
BenningJ

Malave, what did you have that was 2700lbs with over 325hp. That would have been a blast to drive!

Great responses guys, I too feel a certain amount of sentimental value with my car (my car now has 52,000 miles on it and I bought it brand new) and I agree if I felt like it ever needs more power I can go the FI route. As for now I will get every available bolt-on and see where I can go with that. I mean no matter what you do, you will eventually get used to the power and there will always be some one faster than you.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
Old 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I just think trading up isn't worth it. Sure the v6 is a decently fast car and I want more but trading up isn't the answer. At this point, I will either wait for the next gen camaro to come out since they will supposedly be lighter and with more power or wait for a cheap used v8 since I'm going to be taking the motor out and either swapping it or rebuilding it for boost anyway. If I buy a v8, I'm going to go big on it. So for the moment being, I'm completely satisfied with my current car. Sure I do mods on this car and let me tell you, with the current mods I have right now the v6 is a pretty nice car. If I want more I will either put nitrous in it or go forced induction. Got my eye on the hps system right now... Just waiting for people to work out the fuel system kinks. That's just my take on it.

Another thing is... Since I'm satisfied with the performance, the rest doesn't even matter. Cosmetically, the v6 and v8 look almost identical. I've decided to take it slow with this car and see what the future has in store for the Camaro.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
jayscamaro
Banned

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LT
i love my v6, i got the car when i was 15 and i was really happy, putting in some mods and i enjoy my car very much. the most i have done to it performance wise, is mrt v2 and CAI. and thats about it. i do plan on getting a v8 in 2 years or so which is why i dont wanna invest much more into my v6 because as mentioned before why void warranty to get speeeds of stock SS.
jayscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
slotwheels

Drives: like a bat out of hell
I started a thread just like this one in the general discussions section and the V8 guys jumped all over me. lol. But anyway, I plan on keeping my V6 for a long time until the next generation Camaro comes out.
slotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
BenningJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotwheels View Post
I started a thread just like this one in the general discussions section and the V8 guys jumped all over me. lol. But anyway, I plan on keeping my V6 for a long time until the next generation Camaro comes out.

Haha, that is why I opened this post in here.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
. The final and most important reason I havent traded in or dont really think about trading in is because of the sentimental value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Plus I've invested a ton of time into my car and love it would and would really miss it.

I also believe a lot of people are falling to the pressures of C5 and upgrading when they have no financial business/responsibility to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I just think trading up isn't worth it. Sure the v6 is a decently fast car and I want more but trading up isn't the answer. At this point, I will either wait for the next gen camaro to come out since they will supposedly be lighter and with more power

Couldn't agree with you guys more. Here's my some-what long winded story.

I seriously considered trading in my 2010 for a 2012 SS 45th anniversary, however the more I thought about it, the more rational I became. Sure a brand new SS would have had more power than my car (prior to getting super charged) but I wouldn't have been happy with a completely stock car for too long. Like my current car, I would just want to mod it and get more out of it.

To me it isn't about getting to X horsepower and then buying the biggest engine as a starter. Rather it's about seeing what we (as a community) can do with with said car (V6 5th gen) and getting the most out of it that we can. Doesn't matter what car I have, V6, SS, ZL1, etc I'm still going to want to mod it and push it to its limits. So for me why should I "upgrade" only to start all over again?

Finally this car means way too much to me. It's my first "performance"vehicle, prior to this I had a I-5 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. I learned everything I know about cars either on this forum or hands on with my Camaro. Some people don't get attached to their car, because it's just a vehicle. But not me.

Finally after thinking about it I decided to get it Rx Super Charged, and I went all out with the super chiller, SS rear diff, stall converter and OD pulley (didn't know my fuel system wouldn't keep up though!) and even after doing that I still saved several thousand $ than if I would have traded my car in for a new SS. I plan on keeping this car as long as possible, it just means that much. I mean the first model year of the Camaro after its resurrection is pretty cool.

And as lscamaro pointed out, why trade in now when the 6th gen will be out in a couple years? What I'm doing now is saving up for a 2017 SS as that will be the 50th anniversary Camaro and would be really special IMO.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
Malave, what did you have that was 2700lbs with over 325hp. That would have been a blast to drive!

Great responses guys, I too feel a certain amount of sentimental value with my car (my car now has 52,000 miles on it and I bought it brand new) and I agree if I felt like it ever needs more power I can go the FI route. As for now I will get every available bolt-on and see where I can go with that. I mean no matter what you do, you will eventually get used to the power and there will always be some one faster than you.
an import, a 1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo. Stock with 200 hp, but lots of parts purchased from RacingBeat (rotary experts) and a custom engine rebuild and turbo rebuild. Sway bars, struts, springs all upgraded via RacingBeat; car handled amazingly with near perfect weight distribution. Running great power on the same size turbo as stock with the stock top-mount intercooler. Next mod on the list was a front-mount intercooler, but an old lady in a big Cadillac smashed my whole passenger side while my car was parked :( :(
Had to fight with insurance company not to salvage my ride. The guy they had do the fix wasn't that great. I was so disappointed and disgusted that I sold that car when it was still in primer. Still sold it for a decent sum.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
test drove the SS and didn't notice enough of a difference to justify the price difference. also, with the amount of money i've dumped into mods, there's no way i could get decent value on trade-in.

figure with what i've done i'll keep this car forever (however long that may be in reality is obv to be seen) and upgrade to the high end model with the next generation if I like it.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Wingsfan

Drives: Synergy Camaro, Escape
short and simple.....money, just didnt have the money for a v8.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
cb4dude

Drives: 2010 LT1 M6
This is my summer car. I enjoy being able to drive it every day, and wouldn't trade up to the SS for that reason. It is fast, can light up the tires easily, and gets awesome fuel economy for long road trips. I have done simple mods, but enough to get it to where I love the sound of it. Added some cosmetics to make it look unique. I like the fact it is also the first year back, before they started adding more model types. Back in the muscle car era, nobody would have scoffed at over 300 hp as people do today simply because it is a V6. I have been to the track and can beat most small blocks from the muscle car era, as well as most Mustang GT's with a V8 up to about 2010. The whole V8 thing is bragging rights as far as I am concerned.
Doug Thorley Shorty Headers - K&N CAI - VMax Black Iceolator - VMax Ported Throttle Body - Hotchkis Lowering Springs - BMR Toe Rods & Trailing Arms - American Racing Rims - Polished stainless accents - Chrome Grill - 1LT Badging
cb4dude is offline   Reply With Quote