Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #99
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
I think I paid around 40$ for tax/duty/shipping

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #100
SrtWtF

Drives: Nsrt & Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
While it is a 'proven mod', the rod mod isnt supposed to show much hp on the dyno, but rather at the track. Hard to tell which mod did how much hp...
I'm pretty sure the rod mod would net me more HP. I'm running a Ss3 vvt, ported heads, etc. My previous airbox setup had that stupid scoop design to help direct air maybe that s why my gains were probably minimal. But any gain is a good gain, I didn't lose any power but one thing I like about the intake is it looks sorta stock :-):-) :-)
SrtWtF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #101
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrtWtF View Post
...My previous airbox setup had that stupid scoop design to help direct air maybe that s why my gains were probably minimal. But any gain is a good gain, I didn't lose any power but one thing I like about the intake is it looks sorta stock :-):-) :-)
You lost me there..well i think you did.

What is this "stupid scoop design" you speak of??
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #102
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
You lost me there..well i think you did.

What is this "stupid scoop design" you speak of??
Probably an adm scoop or similar.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #103
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
The washer tank acts as a funnel to push air into the intake. You have to remove the factory plastic piece and it opens an area behind the grill to allow the air in
Attached Images

0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #104
SrtWtF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
Probably an adm scoop or similar.

^ this
Old 03-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #105
Camaro Dude

Why is it stupid?

I have experimented Sledge's IAT's after countless back to back datalog WOT runs(all runs saved on my laptop), and let me tell you, that THAT apparatus, truly helps to keep IAT's low and consistent. Impressively so might I add. The one I tested was before and after with an Apex design, on very warm nights.

A very short scoop runner, as seen with the OTR designs, are even better, logically due to shape, size and position.

I'll dare hypothesize and say, OTR design might see a true advantage, when driving over hot ashphalt, which would heat the air right above it. The OTR is not "scooping" up air from the surface of the road.

Either way, no scoop is a stupid idea. Even the ADM, APEX (both are the same design I think??) ones.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:14 PM   #106
SrtWtF

I just can't justify the amount spent on something that can easily fab'd up out of sheet metal....... Or appropriate thickness of aluminum. The scoop itself isn't a power adder it redirects air as you stated. Honda owners add those retarded spacers to lift the hood the help ventilate heat in the engine bay (looks retarded, it's only a spacer)

My opinion is my opinion don't get all butt hurt over opinions, I dislike mustangs but it won't stop my neighbor from driving one. Like i said in my O.P I'm not bashing the scoop design it was meant to help direct air (cool beans) but in no way is that going to free up 5-10hp and run after run a car will see heat soak so in terms those gains you did see will be ineffective.

The vararam DRx is cool I guess, it's all plastic and looks stock. Keeps the sleeper look and kit came with all necessary hardware including the washer bottle and lines which is an additional charge from other vendors.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #107
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I have the ADM race intake (basically adds the scoop) and have been very pleased with it. The tuner actually commented on how well the IAT relocation seemed to be working.

I'm interested in this intake for the stockish appearance when I do heads and cam later on. It'll fit the motif better and it seems like it would do the same or better than my ADM, also it should clear some space for brake ducts if I add them later.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Firefighter; 03-22-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #108
Camaro Dude

Quote:
.... Like i said in my O.P I'm not bashing the scoop design it was meant to help direct air (cool beans) but in no way is that going to free up 5-10hp and run after run a car will see heat soak so in terms those gains you did see will be ineffective.....
What you write in regards to heat soak, does not apply to road racing like what us 1LEr's do.

Just wanted to clear that for future readers.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #109
SrtWtF

@Camaro Dude
Heat soak applies to everyone as it refers to the engine bay's heat situation in general - how the engine itself absorbs and dissipates heat, how well the coolant system works, how well the oil stays slippery, and of course how much power the engine makes during all this. So..... your Camaro 1Le just as every other SS along with Zl1, Z28 and V6 are affected
Old 03-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #110
Camaro Dude

Quote:
@Camaro Dude
Heat soak applies to everyone as it refers to the engine bay's heat situation in general - how the engine itself absorbs and dissipates heat, how well the coolant system works, how well the oil stays slippery, and of course how much power the engine makes during all this. So..... your Camaro 1Le just as every other SS along with Zl1, Z28 and V6 are affected
what?????????!!!? Lol
Old 03-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #111
SrtWtF

-_-
Old 03-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #112
Camaro Dude

Exactly ; )

You simply cannot correlate together, and compare heat soak of a cold air intake on a NA engine, while sitting your turn in the 1/4 mile pit lane for minutes on end, literally sitting still after a run, with your hood popped open to lesssn the heat soak effect , vs a road racer out on the open road, always rolling forward. Reiterate, talkin NA here.

You also cannot correlate together, and compare heat soak of a cold air intake, on a SC application like the ZL1, and a NA application like the Z28, out on a road course. The duties of the cold air intake on the former, is superseded by an intercooler....the game totally changes with FI.

Over generalizing is one thing. Breaking it down, and keeping it real is an other.