Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
nazarah

Drives: 2004 Dodge Viper
(Yet Another) Convertible top issue

Here we go again!

I've searched for this one, and can't find a thread pertaining to this particular issue. So thought I'd see if you all had some ideas. It's on a 2013 ZL1.

I've made sure the thing in the trunk is in proper position. I've made sure the trunk is fully closed. Here is what happens.

You unlatch the top like normal, and press the button to retract. It begins to move. No messages in the DIC. It gets about 1/3rd of the way up, and then stops. If you take a momentary pause, bring it down just the slightest bit and continue to go back up, it will go the next 2/3rd of the way. Then with another pause, down just a tiny bit and back up and it goes the rest of the way up.

Rinse and repeat coming back up to close it.

Any ideas?
nazarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
do you have the engine running? Is it just battery power getting low. Do you have your foot on the brake, possibly poor brake switch connection.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
nazarah

I had the engine off. I'll try it again with the engine running and foot on the brake - perhaps you are correct. Thank you for the recommendation!
Old 11-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazarah View Post
I had the engine off. I'll try it again with the engine running and foot on the brake - perhaps you are correct. Thank you for the recommendation!
I don't know about the foot on the brake thing, as that's not required on my 2011, but I always have the car running. That top motor takes a lot of power.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:35 AM   #5
kpeters59

Drives: Black 2012 SS Convertible
Sounds an awful lot like what I was trying to describe here:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=10

Also, my top stops moving several times going both up and down. It started doing that pretty soon after I started noticing the wet back floor. Is that related?

It has a VERY regular pattern to it. It seems to be able to move for exactly 5 seconds and stops. Going up, I just release and re-press the button and it continues. Going down, I have to briefly press up and then continue down and it goes all the way down after about 5 of those. I assume there's some kind of sensor that's not working, so the controller turns off the motor, or worse, the motor is shutting off most likely due to heat. Anybody with any idea why that's happening? Is it related to the 5th Bow issue?

I'd guess that either some kind of movement sensor is not sending its signal properly or the motor is getting hot and going in to emergency mode or something.

Going up it does not require that I briefly change directions to get it to continue.

Going down, it stops 5 times. Going up, more. I think 'cause it's harder to go up.

Anybody else?

-KP
kpeters59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #6
nazarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeters59 View Post
Sounds an awful lot like what I was trying to describe here:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=10

Also, my top stops moving several times going both up and down. It started doing that pretty soon after I started noticing the wet back floor. Is that related?

It has a VERY regular pattern to it. It seems to be able to move for exactly 5 seconds and stops. Going up, I just release and re-press the button and it continues. Going down, I have to briefly press up and then continue down and it goes all the way down after about 5 of those. I assume there's some kind of sensor that's not working, so the controller turns off the motor, or worse, the motor is shutting off most likely due to heat. Anybody with any idea why that's happening? Is it related to the 5th Bow issue?

I'd guess that either some kind of movement sensor is not sending its signal properly or the motor is getting hot and going in to emergency mode or something.

Going up it does not require that I briefly change directions to get it to continue.

Going down, it stops 5 times. Going up, more. I think 'cause it's harder to go up.

Anybody else?

-KP
YES - that is exactly it!

I tried it again this past weekend. Car was running, foot on brake, trunk thing pulled all the way out, trunk closed securely. Still had to do the back and forth game to get it to go up. Still no idea about what is happening.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
nazarah

Could this be as simple as the switch up front beginning to fail?

I have been trying to find a wiring diagram that includes the convertible top functions but have not found anything as of yet. I really have only a basic idea of how these things work.

Does the full power to the motor on the pump run through the switch, or is the switch controlling a relay?
Old 11-13-2019, 07:13 PM   #8
kpeters59

Quote:
Could this be as simple as the switch up front beginning to fail?

No way.

It's WAY too consistent.

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same amount of time on every button push.

I'd guess it's 5 seconds.

Does anybody have a copy of (or access to) the control circuit schematic? I'd bet there's some kind of motion sensor that's not providing output (or input to the controller) and after 5 seconds it just stops. Probably damaged by the stupid leaking 5th bow issue.

Quote:
Does the full power to the motor on the pump run through the switch, or is the switch controlling a relay?
I seriously doubt that. There has to be a relay. And more.

-KP
Old 11-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
nazarah

Still spending my free time looking for a schematic that covers all of the electrical components included with the top. Might be time to break down and order factory service manuals.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
go to acdelcotds.com and select subscription, then scroll to service information and select 4 day for $15

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #11
nazarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
go to acdelcotds.com and select subscription, then scroll to service information and select 4 day for $15
Ah - NICE! I'll check that out today. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
kpeters59

Quote:
Ah - NICE! I'll check that out today. Thanks!
Were you able to get some documents downloaded? That I might be able to leech off of?

Does anybody know where the Convertible Top Control Module resides? And removal procedure?

I suspect mine's gotten wet from GM's big snafu, so I'll need to source a replacement. Or, maybe fix the original?

-KP
Old 11-30-2019, 05:49 AM   #13
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Not sure how well this picture will come out being the print is so small. I have a set of 2013 service manuals.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2019, 06:15 AM   #14
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Notes from 2013 F/Car serfide manual Volume 4/4, page 12-93

Power folding top description and operation: Overview: The operation of the convertible top is semi-automatic. The user of the vehicle manually latches and unlatches the convertible top while hydraulic power actuation provides the force to raise and lower the top. The electrical position of the power convertible top system consists of the following:
1. folding top control module
2. header latch position switch
3. folding top control switch
4. luggage barrier sensor
5. folding top position sensor
6. folding top pump motor

There are following paragraphs that give a basic description of each component.