Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Amelia98
Honorary Female Member =)

Drives: Camaro and a PT Cruiser
Custom Paint Vs Stock

Might be dumb, but here goes. Fast forward tenty years and I am 60 my Camaro has low mileage (wishful thinking) and I put the car up at a muscle car auction. Would custom accents from a local artist much like the factory stripes but not so "dude" hurt the overall "stock" reserved price I would set. Hoping VIN of 500 or below.

VROOM VROOM
Amelia98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Depending on what the buyer is wanting. Some want stock some like resto-mod, other just looking for classic on a budget. Really depends, I'm having my stripes painted, but yes if it's not on the build sheet and not factory it would hurt the car speaking in current classic terms.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
Depending on what the buyer is wanting. Some want stock some like resto-mod, other just looking for classic on a budget. Really depends, I'm having my stripes painted, but yes if it's not on the build sheet and not factory it would hurt the car speaking in current classic terms.
+1

My take. Cars are like baseball cards when they start to appreciate.

A Babe Ruth Rookie card isn't worth shit to me as an owner. But it's worth alot to someone who I might sell it to. Point being, It's only worth what someone will pay for it.

That being said.

You allways hear frases like "Original Paint" or "Original Equipment" and it does add value to a car. However, in 20 years, will your paint be in good enough shape to be more value as "Original Paint" or new paint that's in pristine condition.
At that point it will all be in the eye of the buyer. Not really sure if original Color would be attractive to a buyer. It would be on the sticker. (make sure you save that and the welcome kit) But if you do have it repainted, make sure they get it ALL. Door jams, trunk inside and engine compartment.

JMO