Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #15
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
UPDATE: Since I'm too much of a perfectionist for my own good, I pulled out the passenger side door panel with the defect as pictured above and tried to correct it. Those little spots at the bottom are actually corrosion taking place in the plastic. I'm presuming this is from the nail polish remover. Even when it didn't have acetone, I guess I kept it on that particular panel too long. I figured stripping it allover again would help, but that made it worst. The panel is ruined. :(

Now I have to get a new one... I'm looking at the RPI designs ABL panels. In the thread, he offered someone to paint them on the inside, which means they must be see-through when they're unpainted. If I can get a driver/passenger pair of door panels unpainted, then I don't even need to worry about stripping them and can just shoot the back of them with Hugger Orange right out of the box.

Mike, I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to you. It sucks so much because I did so good on the other three panels. :\
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #16
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
That hurts!!! I'm really sorry that happened!!! So as you tried to strip the spots it just made it worse? Do you think the door panels are a different type of plastic and it's just a reaction in chemicals? That's just weird to me cause nothing came close to that on both our dash trim pieces

Sorry to hear that man I know you put some love into that work :(
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoach View Post
That hurts!!! I'm really sorry that happened!!! So as you tried to strip the spots it just made it worse? Do you think the door panels are a different type of plastic and it's just a reaction in chemicals? That's just weird to me cause nothing came close to that on both our dash trim pieces

Sorry to hear that man I know you put some love into that work :(
That's the only guess I could venture. *Shrug.* Trying to find a single replacement one is going to be a right bitch, I can tell you that much.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
MikeMoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
That's the only guess I could venture. *Shrug.* Trying to find a single replacement one is going to be a right bitch, I can tell you that much.
Yea I could imagine unless you get pot luck and someone did the same thing you did but bought a set good luck man I know if I was you I would be fuming
Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Yea I could imagine unless you get pot luck and someone did the same thing you did but bought a set good luck man I know if I was you I would be fuming
I'm just going to get my current set painted on the outside like how everyone else does. I have a 1SS and I don't give a damn about ambient lighting, so I don't really need the panels painted the way I did. I'm gonna miss the depth of the thick layer of plastic, but I'd rather have Hugger Orange trim without the depth than silver trim with the depth.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #20
MikeMoach

Quote:
I'm just going to get my current set painted on the outside like how everyone else does. I have a 1SS and I don't give a damn about ambient lighting, so I don't really need the panels painted the way I did. I'm gonna miss the depth of the thick layer of plastic, but I'd rather have Hugger Orange trim without the depth than silver trim with the depth.
I'm sure it will look just as good man, if you can put a couple extra layers of clear coat on top, it'll give a nice mirrored finish show some pics how it comes out for all I know I might have to do the same thing
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #21
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
I'm sure it will look just as good man, if you can put a couple extra layers of clear coat on top, it'll give a nice mirrored finish show some pics how it comes out for all I know I might have to do the same thing
I sure will. It's not like we have anything to lose, right? Like me with Hugger Orange, your only options for getting your ABL trim panels in RJT would be to paint the inside which you tried and might end up botching like I did or to paint the outside like everyone else does.

Can't say we didn't try, right? It's not like the trim panels are beyond use... now we just need to resort to the method everyone else uses: paint the outside.

For those pursuing this DIY - it's still very possible to do. Just DON'T USE A STRIPPING CHEMICAL! You're better off using a fine sandpaper to strip the paint. It's going to take forever, but it's worth knowing you're not damaging the plastic.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #22
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
I MIGHT have a pro-tip for this. Instead of steel wool and nail polish remover, you might be able to use something called Krud-Kutter Graffiti remover. I just used some on my plastic gun butt stock and it removed some caked on paint and didn't affect the plastic at all. It's seriously amazing stuff.

Here is a before and after pic:

and after

It's not very toxic BUT PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WILL WORK ON THIS TYPE of plastic! It should be fine as the bottle says it works on plastic among about 30 other things.

If someone has a scrap dash piece they want to try it on, or mail me the test piece, I will try it.

I bought it at Walmart.

Here is the product:

Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #23
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
I MIGHT have a pro-tip for this. Instead of steel wool and nail polish remover, you might be able to use something called Krud-Kutter Graffiti remover. I just used some on my plastic gun butt stock and it removed some caked on paint and didn't affect the plastic at all. It's seriously amazing stuff.

Here is a before and after pic:

and after

It's not very toxic BUT PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WILL WORK ON THIS TYPE of plastic! It should be fine as the bottle says it works on plastic among about 30 other things.

If someone has a scrap dash piece they want to try it on, or mail me the test piece, I will try it.

I bought it at Walmart.

Here is the product:

Thanks for the tip! The gun stock looks like ABS plastic, or is it something else?

The ABL trim panels are made of transparent polycarbonate; sometimes known as lexan.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
MikeMoach

Mine came out horrible... Lol I have no clue what went wrong.. Came out super cloudy when it's was practically crystal clear before

Oh well guess I'll have to paint the outside and follow everyone else, stinks but at least I tried

Only thing is when I do my doors how do I keep the ABL LED shining across
Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! The gun stock looks like ABS plastic, or is it something else?

The ABL trim panels are made of transparent polycarbonate; sometimes known as lexan.
If your panel is ruined, break a piece off and mail it to me. I'll pay for shipping.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #26
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Mine came out horrible... Lol I have no clue what went wrong.. Came out super cloudy when it's was practically crystal clear before

Oh well guess I'll have to paint the outside and follow everyone else, stinks but at least I tried

Only thing is when I do my doors how do I keep the ABL LED shining across
Well, if it's super cloudy you just might be screwed, but if it looks okay near the top, then most people just mask off a thin line across the top so the ABL can shine through.

Sorry to hear it went to sh*t. I guess painting the front is all that can be done.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #27
MikeMoach

Quote:
Well, if it's super cloudy you just might be screwed, but if it looks okay near the top, then most people just mask off a thin line across the top so the ABL can shine through.

Sorry to hear it went to sh*t. I guess painting the front is all that can be done.
No I only painted the small piece on the driver side dash to test it, I'm Gunna give it 1 more shot and if that don't work I'll figure somethin out
Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #28
jlugo
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 1LE 'Summit White'
Cool

So far, so good!
Attached Images

jlugo is offline   Reply With Quote