Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
ChrisRav

Drives: Dreaming
SS w/ suspension upgrades or 1LE?

I will hopefully be getting a 2013 2SS/RS m6 camaro soon. I personally love the look of airlift on the 5th gen camaros but would really enjoy a car that handles well.

My question would be could a pedderized or bagged SS be able to compete with a 1LE around the track? It would be a daily driver so I would perfer as smooth of a ride as possible but yet be able to take a turn fast without fear of loosing control. What do you think would be the best way to go? I dont know much about suspension but for the money is the 1LE package worth it when you can get air or pedders for around the same cost plus the killer looks?

Thanks in Advance!
ChrisRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Beezwax

Drives: Public Transportation
upgrades... the 1LE kit is $3500+... with that money, you can do Coilovers, Sway bars, All Bushings, Links, Strut Braces, Tubular Subframe for weight reduction and might have some money left over for a full tank of gas
Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
ChrisRav

That's what I was leaning towards, just upgrading instead of purchasing the package from the factory. Does anyone who has airlift know how it performs compared to the 1LE or a pedderized camaro? I really love the slammed look and the adjustable ride height.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
It's not that simple. You didn't factor in the better rear gears or the forged rims. Those alone are wortg the ticket. Everything else is icing on the cake.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
Get the 1le, you get gears, wheels, tires, transmission and cooler, etc. You can't do those upgrades for 3500.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
1le is a steal at $3500, I sure wish it was an option when I got my car.
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
ChrisRav

Gears and rims really help with handling?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Gears help with acceleration and that sort of stuff, and the wider wheels give a wider contact patch for grip. The 1LE doesn't have fully forged wheels though, just rotary forged. The airlift kit will help hadling some, but there's a reason that racing cars use coils. The 1LE also has a close ratio gear box. The 1LE will not get as good of mileage though, I always say that you can do it cheaper yourself than GM.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
ChrisRav

So for speed and good handling go 1LE , for good looks and a handling boost go airlift. If I were to get the 1le I would most likely get a 1SS , however if I were going the airlift route I could get the 2SS and add on later , another thing to take into consideration
Old 08-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
no question in my opinion . . . get the 1LE. you can buy 3500 worth of suspension parts but you cant get the trans and the rear end for that money. the trans and the rear end are reported to be what makes it a complete package.
i have an ss and im itching to go order one of these. im not going to, but i want to.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
1LE for sure.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
1LE! just the trans and diff coolers are worth $3,500. But that aside I think a fully pedderized car would beat it hands down. But changing on the bushings is a PITA and requires special tools that most people will not have.
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRav View Post
Gears and rims really help with handling?
The right gear ratio will keep you in the power band without down shifting to the top of the next lower gear, if you're already on the edge of your tires that could upset the balance of the car during hard cornering.

Lighter wheels or the reduction in rotating mass will be easier to accelerate and easier to stop.
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
I spent $3K in just lighter wheels and tires to go with the same size all around. I have another $4K into the suspension. I'm probably above the levels of a stock 1LE in the suspension side. The only thing I'm missing is the gears and I'm investigating that.

The 1LE is a bargain.

Tags
1le, airlift, bagged, handling, pedders