Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-05-2009, 07:48 AM   #57
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
While this is good news for Camaro fans, the bigger picture, GM/Ford overall sales is quite bleak for GM. In July Ford posted a 2.3% gain in overall sales while GM posted a 19.4% decline in sales.

Like many people have said on this board before, despite its current "gotta-have-it" factor, the Gen5 Camaro will not sustain GM in and of itself.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #58
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Like many people have said on this board before, despite its current "gotta-have-it" factor, the Gen5 Camaro will not sustain GM in and of itself.
Nor should anyone expect it to. It is foolish to think that a 304 HP/426 HP RWD sports car will save GM. It will take a series of successful product launches in order to sustain GM. Malibu needs to be updated/redesigned to stay competitive with Fusion, Equinox is already proving to be a hit, LaCrosse is shipping to dealers as we speak, Cruze must deliver on GM's promise to provide a viable compact car...
Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #59
sdsguy

Drives: 2001 Toyota Corolla S
i know there's a lot of mustang guys who are waiting for the 2011 since they have the new engines plus a lot of the enthusiasts hate this new body styled mustang.
sdsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #60
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsguy View Post
i know there's a lot of mustang guys who are waiting for the 2011 since they have the new engines plus a lot of the enthusiasts hate this new body styled mustang.
Yeah, but they're probably the same enthusiastwho hated the change from the Fox-body to the SN95, and then from that body-style to the new edge in 1999. I know, because I was one of those people. In each case, as I saw them more, the newer designs grew on me. I figure this is the same for most people when a particular car gets a styling change.

Beside, 2011 will not be a body-style change for the Mustang, I figure that will be at least 2012.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #61
EKG

Drives: Right now....a Honda CR-V
That's weird that Camaros sold more than Mustangs...I haven't seen one Camaro on the road yet (actually I saw my friends in the parking lot at school...but I'm not counting that)....where as I see like 5 Mustangs every time I drive somewhere...
EKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #62
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Yeah, but they're probably the same enthusiastwho hated the change from the Fox-body to the SN95, and then from that body-style to the new edge in 1999. I know, because I was one of those people. In each case, as I saw them more, the newer designs grew on me. I figure this is the same for most people when a particular car gets a styling change.

Beside, 2011 will not be a body-style change for the Mustang, I figure that will be at least 2012.
The next Mustang visual update is planned for '14
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #63
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
Anyone but me like the mustangs of last year better than this years? I love me some camaro
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #64
EKG

Drives: Right now....a Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrescamaro View Post
Anyone but me like the mustangs of last year better than this years? I love me some camaro
Yeah I like last years mustangs more than this years. They look less aggressive this year IMO
EKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #65
flaguy

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Spring Edition
I really hate to be "that guy" here, but I don't see this continuing in the future. There has been a 7 year gap of no camaros or firebirds, and the Chevy/Pontiac enthusiasts have been salivating for this car since the concept was released. This is the hot new car to have right now. By winter Ford will be back to the same old tricks, mustang selling more.

Doesn't make the Camaro less of a car, I'll take a V6 Camaro before the new GT and I hate V6's. To be perfectly honest, the Camaro has serious competition on its hands in the Mustang. I've never liked any Mustang with the sole exception being the 03-04 Cobras. I don't even like the Shelby. But the new Mustang for the first time caught my eye and I was like wow...thats a nice Mustang.

But...as long as the Camaro is being made, I would not even think of a Mustang first. It is just my opinion that over time you will see that the majority of people in America do not share our opinion that the Camaro is more appealing than the Mustang.

My prediction: By December at the latest, Mustang will be outselling Camaros again and will not lose a month to month sale vs the Camaro again until Chevy updates the Camaro several years from now. This of course excludes the first month Chevy offers 0% on the Camaro....as that is when I will probably pull the trigger on a Camaro too. My guess would be mid 2010.
flaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #66
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
I don't see any reason why the Mustang will EVER sell more than the Camaro again. Camaro sales won't be split with the Firebird anymore.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #67
SpeedDemon

Drives: 2002 ZTS Silver Focus
Mustangs in trouble, if Camaros would be selling as cheap as Mustangs are going for right now you can guarantee their would be a much larger gap. That being said, The Camaros are STILL selling more and they are more expensive! Mustangs can only get so cheap, they wont sell them below profit.lol.

The reason Mustangs are selling so well is because of PRICE!
If the Mustang was priced as high and the same as the Camaro it wouldn't stand a chance, we both know what the better car is...........lol.=)

The only reason their is so many more Mustangs on the road is because its the cheaper sports/muscle car, it all comes down to money, its the american car because its the cheapest, cold hard fact. More people can afford a cheaper car than not............

As far as Dodge is concerned,.............im not sure what they are about.........they apparently don't want to sell Challengers because they are way over priced.......If Dodge would wake up they could sell a ton more of those things easy.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #68
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
I don't see any reason why the Mustang will EVER sell more than the Camaro again. Camaro sales won't be split with the Firebird anymore.
That was sarcastic right? you don't EVER see the mustang outselling the camaro again?
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #69
flaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
You forget that the Mustang outsold the camaro AND firebird Combined 3 to 1.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #70
flaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Mustangs in trouble, if Camaros would be selling as cheap as Mustangs are going for right now you can guarantee their would be a much larger gap. That being said, The Camaros are STILL selling more and they are more expensive! Mustangs can only get so cheap, they wont sell them below profit.lol.

The reason Mustangs are selling so well is because of PRICE!
If the Mustang was priced as high and the same as the Camaro it wouldn't stand a chance, we both know what the better car is...........lol.=)

The only reason their is so many more Mustangs on the road is because its the cheaper sports/muscle car, it all comes down to money, its the american car because its the cheapest, cold hard fact. More people can afford a cheaper car than not............

As far as Dodge is concerned,.............im not sure what they are about.........they apparently don't want to sell Challengers because they are way over priced.......If Dodge would wake up they could sell a ton more of those things easy.
Very valid point.

In regards to the Challenger, yeah, not sure wtf they are thinking. I really wouldn't consider it at Mustang prices...much less what they are trying to get out of them now. Camaro > Mustang > My lame ass corolla > Challenger