Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Question V6 Stall Torque Converter

I know there are alot of torque converters out there for the 6L80, but only a one I think for the 6L50... Has any V6ers tried this mod yet? Besides one that has a turbo or supercharger. This is a mod I have kinda been wanting for awhile and want some more info on it.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgebunny View Post
I know there are alot of torque converters out there for the 6L80, but only a one I think for the 6L50... Has any V6ers tried this mod yet? Besides one that has a turbo or supercharger. This is a mod I have kinda been wanting for awhile and want some more info on it.

Contact Tracy (SC2150) he wants to work on a Camaro for this MOD.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
This thread may be of interest:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127398
Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Circle D is in my area as well and asked if I would like to let them see my stock unit and they would see if theirs would work.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Definitely contact SC2150, I'm pretty sure he already has a source for one.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Definitely contact SC2150, I'm pretty sure he already has a source for one.
He does. And I have talked to him. I indeed have two great choices. This mod is still a few months out for me but I'm just gathering info on my options.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Cool, can't wait to hear your results.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

I will definately keep ya'll posted. I am just worried about blowing through my tires ahahahaha.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
FYI only.....Just thought someone would be interested;
From....
http://peugeot.mainspot.net/tips/torque_converter.htm

The idea behind a higher stall torque converter is to allow the engine to rev more freely up to the point where the power band begins, and therefore, enable the vehicle to accelerate from a stop under more power.
This becomes increasingly important when an engine is modified. Engine modifications such as ported heads, bigger cams, bigger turbo (in some cases), bigger intakes, etc. tend to raise the point where the power band begins. For best performance, the stall speed needs to be raised accordingly to work optimally in conjunction with the given vehicle alterations.
In simple terms, for best performance, the stall speed should be raised at least to the point where the torque curve is heading towards its peak. As a rule of thumb, the stall speed should be set to match the rpm at which the engine is making at least 80% of its peak torque for a street driven vehicle.
As you can imagine, a vehicle that can accelerate from a stop with 80% of its peak torque will easily outperform an otherwise identical vehicle that can only launch at 50% of its available torque.
For a performance or "high stall" torque converter to produce maximum gains, it needs to be configured to the specific vehicle in which it will be installed.
Factors such as engine torque and the rpm at which it is greatest, differential gear ratio, vehicle weight, camshaft design, compression ratio, type of induction- forced or naturally aspirated, and a host of other variables all need to be taken into consideration.
Be aware that the "off the shelf" type performance torque converters sold by some manufacturers are very unlikely to be optimized for all vehicles and their unique requirements.
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
FYI only.....Just thought someone would be interested;
From....
http://peugeot.mainspot.net/tips/torque_converter.htm

The idea behind a higher stall torque converter is to allow the engine to rev more freely up to the point where the power band begins, and therefore, enable the vehicle to accelerate from a stop under more power.
This becomes increasingly important when an engine is modified. Engine modifications such as ported heads, bigger cams, bigger turbo (in some cases), bigger intakes, etc. tend to raise the point where the power band begins. For best performance, the stall speed needs to be raised accordingly to work optimally in conjunction with the given vehicle alterations.
In simple terms, for best performance, the stall speed should be raised at least to the point where the torque curve is heading towards its peak. As a rule of thumb, the stall speed should be set to match the rpm at which the engine is making at least 80% of its peak torque for a street driven vehicle.
As you can imagine, a vehicle that can accelerate from a stop with 80% of its peak torque will easily outperform an otherwise identical vehicle that can only launch at 50% of its available torque.
For a performance or "high stall" torque converter to produce maximum gains, it needs to be configured to the specific vehicle in which it will be installed.
Factors such as engine torque and the rpm at which it is greatest, differential gear ratio, vehicle weight, camshaft design, compression ratio, type of induction- forced or naturally aspirated, and a host of other variables all need to be taken into consideration.
Be aware that the "off the shelf" type performance torque converters sold by some manufacturers are very unlikely to be optimized for all vehicles and their unique requirements.
Mine was custom built based on my typical vehicle usage and current mods.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardik2SS View Post
Mine was custom built based on my typical vehicle usage and current mods.
Well if I use Circle D it will be custom built. But then again the other one is specifically for V6 camaros too. So....
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Any updates on torque converters on our V6's? Who has gotten one & what are your imprressions? Any concerns? Have any of them failed like some of the stock ones have?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Any updates on torque converters on our V6's? Who has gotten one & what are your imprressions? Any concerns? Have any of them failed like some of the stock ones have?

We have been using the FTI Converters for the V6 cars.. Really nice, tight stall converters. BaylorCamaro, v6owner, KMAGRIZZ are just a few I know off hand that have the converter in them. I have driven all three cars, all drive great but when you need to hit the tire it's right there. These cars are all 3600 stalls, and I would not think twice about putting it in a daily driven car (As all the above listed cars are DD's).

We have some nice deals on the FTI Converter stuff, they take a day or two usually on lead-time to build the custom converter based on your modifications. I cannot post pricing in this forum as it is not a marketplace forum but you can PM me for a nice deal
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
My car is back to stock but I left my 3600 stall in