Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
V6 clutch recommendation?

My clutch is starting to feel less smooth, almost like it hesitates when I go from 2nd to 3rd. I have a 14 LS with 14.5k on it. Eventually want to go some form of FI most likely Turbos. I think the only 2 aftermarket clutches available are the spec and Ram. I think monster is working on a clutch for us but still needs a test car. Could just be I'm having an off day with my shifting lol, but as I'm starting to look at clutches it seems the RAM unit has been the favorite. Where are people buying them? Can't seem to find it in their website? Any pros and cons of the clutches? Any info helps! Thanks guys.

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
cireisa

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
My clutch is starting to feel less smooth, almost like it hesitates when I go from 2nd to 3rd. I have a 14 LS with 14.5k on it. Eventually want to go some form of FI most likely Turbos. I think the only 2 aftermarket clutches available are the spec and Ram. I think monster is working on a clutch for us but still needs a test car. Could just be I'm having an off day with my shifting lol, but as I'm starting to look at clutches it seems the RAM unit has been the favorite. Where are people buying them? Can't seem to find it in their website? Any pros and cons of the clutches? Any info helps! Thanks guys.
I have a 2010 and I changed my clutch at 71k km(@45k miles) .
I ordered a Ram twin disc from Phastek and only had problems with it ,too many to mention,took it off the car three times,has been repaired once , and after @1000 km I returned it and they refunded me..Piece of garbage
Then I bought the Spec stage 2+,beautiful clutch but I always had vibrations at start because of their lightweight aluminium flywheel.All was okay but 14.000,JUST 14.000km later it started slipping .Took it out and found out that it was worn only on one side ,this tells me that is badly designed ,not my fault....Using two different materials on the two sides of the disc was stupid in my opinion.I ordered the stage 3+ because Spec said this is stronger and should last longer.With this disc I cannot go in the 1st or reverse,it won't disengage properly ..I need to go 3rd and then first..Oh,I forgot to mention about the engaging gap-@1/6 of the pedal travel,grips just there on the floor....ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS...
All these aftermarket ,"better,stronger,lighter ,faster,smoother,amazing " clutches are just junk.
I've been through this two horrible experiences with Ram and Spec ,spent over $4k altogether,and if you want to listen to my advice ,STICK WITH the STOCK CLUTCH!!!!...It's way cheaper and better
cireisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
crc91

Interesting I heard the ram unit was great from a few good members here. I know monster wants to design a clutch for the v6 maybe I'll let them use my car as a test car.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
cireisa is right. the stock clutch is fairly decent in comparison to others on the market
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Contact Steve w/Monster....excellent quality!
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #6
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
OP have you changed the fluid yet? A separate reservoir with DOT4 (Motul 600) made a big difference in my clutch feel. An Ideal Garage clutch master cylinder made a huge shifting improvement too!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
crc91

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I know monster is looking for a test car to make one for our cars. I'll have to look into the idealG master cylinder. Maybe I'll contact Steve again as well.

Tags
ay6, clutch, lfx, llt, manual