Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
glaze question

my car hasnt been waxed in a couple of months,around september i polished it with a random orbital polisher and waxed it.can i now wash it,glaze and then wax? other than a few very minor swirl marks which im under the impression the glaze should cover the paint is good.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
If you put glaze on top of existing wax, it won't bond very well.

Wash the car first. Wipe it down with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) 15-20% to remove any wax that is still on the paint.

Apply glaze, allow it to cure per mfg. recommendations, then put wax on top. Don't use wax that contains solvents or mild abrasives, it will remove the glaze.

A much better product than glaze is Carpro Essence. Unlike glaze, the fillers are very durable, will last around a year.

After you use up your glaze, I'd highly recommend it. You won't go back to glaze.

You mentioned polishing the car less than 2 months ago, and it now has swirls? Did you remove the swirls with compound when you did the initial correction, or just use a finishing polish on the car that didn't remove them?

If you did remove them, something in your wash technique or wash media is causing you to scratch the paint. If not, the next time you polish the car, you need something more abrasive then what you used initially, or need to clean/change your pads more often. You also can cause light swirls when removing wax residue after it's cured if you use too much pressure, or cheap towels.

Before you glaze the whole car, I'd do 1 section that has the defects your trying to fill. No sense to do the whole car if it doesn't give desired results.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 11-25-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
still had to buy my first bottle of glaze,so i guess i should be looking for the essence.is the procedure the same as glaze as far as removing the old wax first?would polishing the car first with the buffer and a mild polish remove the wax? thanks in advance,was hoping you would answer.i probably did not remove all the swirls but i did get most of them.have only used the polisher 3 times or so,im still learning the best techniques and what products are good.so the essence is something that doesnt require wax over the top of it?looked it up on the autogeek website and could get free shipping for the next 5 hours,but the site wasnt specific about waxing over the top of it or if thats not needed.

Last edited by redcoats1976; 11-25-2017 at 05:44 PM.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
still had to buy my first bottle of glaze,so i guess i should be looking for the essence.is the procedure the same as glaze as far as removing the old wax first?would polishing the car first with the buffer and a mild polish remove the wax? thanks in advance,was hoping you would answer.i probably did not remove all the swirls but i did get most of them.have only used the polisher 3 times or so,im still learning the best techniques and what products are good.so the essence is something that doesnt require wax over the top of it?looked it up on the autogeek website and could get free shipping for the next 5 hours,but the site wasnt specific about waxing over the top of it or if thats not needed.
Yes Essence requires something on top.

It provides excellent gloss and protection, but isn't very hydrophobic. You can use a wax, sealant, or coating.

I personally use Carpro Reload, and top that with Carpro Hydrofoam once every 3 months.

If I had a garage I'd put a coating on instead.
I don't use wax anymore unless I'm doing someone else's show car/garage queen.
It just doesn't last very long and provide as good of protection as a sealant. Some people though enjoy waxing their cars, so if you don't mid re-applying it every couple months, have at it.

Essence works very well with Meguairs DMF finishing pads for me, several people have also used foam pads that have light cut/no cut with good results.

The prep procedure is the same, wash, clay/clay alternative if needed, IPA wipedown.

Unlike a standard finishing polish where you make several passes to get it to flash, with Essence, you make one slow pass and your done. Essence is not a compound though, so if you have some deeper scratches, they need compounding first.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
You can glaze over your wax, like Joe said it won't last. However it's so easy to apply and the glaze won't build up like wax will so if you wanted to you could glaze every weekend if you like. Good therapy!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote