Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #113
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
I have a 2012 SS vert with the A6. Never does AFM kick in in sport or m mode. It must be doing what it's supposed to. In drive while cruising it kicks in and when given a little gas there is a brief hesitation but never in sport mode. I have 600 miles on it in the 10 days I have had it in all driving conditions. Hwy, city, and stop and go.

Maybe they have corrected the problem and the system is now working as designed. Glad to hear. Let's hope they do an update for the earlier cars.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #114
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Just got back from a quick cruise and to fill up the tank for the 3rd time this week. Anyways set the cruise control at 55 in M mode then hit the gas. No hesitation. Set it at 55 in D mode then hit the gas. Slight delay then picked up. To me it would seem the AFM is not working in M mode per design and is working as it should in D mode. Not that AFM matters anyway. Still getting 16.9 miles to the gallon.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #115
VictoryMuscleCars

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS RS Convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
I have a 2012 SS vert with the A6. Never does AFM kick in in sport or m mode. It must be doing what it's supposed to. In drive while cruising it kicks in and when given a little gas there is a brief hesitation but never in sport mode. I have 600 miles on it in the 10 days I have had it in all driving conditions. Hwy, city, and stop and go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
Maybe they have corrected the problem and the system is now working as designed. Glad to hear. Let's hope they do an update for the earlier cars.

I could be wrong but swear AFM does not kick in for me in s or m mode. Since reading this thread I've tried scenarios to trigger with no luck... which is good. Fyi- 2010 2SS
Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #116
iFast

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS and '01 Bullitt
Back when I bought my car in the spring of 2010 i went through the Chevrolet website reading about the cars features. I saw that the automatic had a tapshift option available so I became very interested in it. The info on the camaro's v8 engine was 426hp. I never saw anything regarding a tuned down version with 400hp if you get the auto. I also never saw anything regarding AFM. Went to the dealership and the dealer never told me about the L99 or AFM. Bought the car and went back in a few weeks later to take care of some other stuff and of course we talked about the car. I said something about 426hp and she said you mean 400hp right? I was like WTF? At that time I finally discovered this website and asked her about AFM. She said it didn't exist on this car. I told her I could hear and feel it kicking in and out and she still said if wasn't on the Camaros. So I've had the car for over a year now. Pretty happy with it. I learned the 2-3-2 pattern to stay away from AFM but think it's stupid I have to do that to get away from AFM. I positively hate AFM and felt pretty ripped when I found out all this (AFM and minus 26hp) after the fact that I bout the car. I should have just bought the manual.....
As for this "upgrade tune" from GM ppl are wanting from GM to keep our warranties but kick AFM to the curb I'd also like to see my 26 hp we are missing that the LS3 has. I've considered trading my car for a LS3 Camaro, Mustang GT 5.0 or a base model GT500. I love this car but for what we are paying I should have a grin on my face every time I get in it. Just my .02!!!

2001 DHG Bullitt Mustang GT. 5.0 Shortblock. Patriot cams and heads. Flowmaster Axle-Back, Magnaflow X-Pipe. Eibach sportline lowering springs. Steeda Tri-ax. 03-04 Cobra Front Fascia. 18'' XXR 521s w/ Sumitomo HTR Z IIs.

2007 Kawasaki ZX-10R. Akrapovic CF Slip-ons. K&N filter. 520 conversion w/ -1/+2 sprockets. Speedo-healer. Lockhart-Phillips fi controller. Pirelli DCIIIs.
iFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #117
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensphan87 View Post
Thanks for your input it has helped me to decide, mostly because you both have an auto and a manual. Im 42 and married this might be my only chance I have got to get it right. I wanted the LS3 so manual it is.
Good choice, trust me you will not be sorry with the LS3!
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #118
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
So are we going to do a poll?
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #119
kbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenIndy500 View Post
So are we going to do a poll?
I am still hoping for one !

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
Old 08-17-2011, 03:24 AM   #120
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye

Drives: 2016 Hyper blue 1SS
so do we just start a new thread with a poll on it? or is there something more official?
godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #121
2SS BUMBLBE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/L99
I am giving up on the Pfadt engine mounts. The car is in for repairs from a hit & run, so I am having them switch back to the OEM mounts. Will report on resonation after.
2SS BUMBLBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #122
kmarti25

Drives: 2010 Indy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudderFinger View Post
It only disables when you shift to 2-3-2, then it will stay disabled the entire time you drive or untill it removed from M mode, at which time you would need to downshift, upshift and the downshift again. Mine is a 2011 and this seems to be what everyone is doing that works. Just putting it in M mode or sport mode is not going to do it.
I just drove around all day using the 2-3-2 method and it works. Wow what a difference not having the car jerking and sounding like an alternating fart can out back. Starting to wonder if the warranty IS worth the difference it makes??????
kmarti25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #123
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I don't fully understand the 2-3-2 method. I tried shifting down to 2, then to 3, then back to 2, but the car would never leave 2nd on its own. Can you explain it?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #124
cactuseater

Drives: .
I got so pissed at AFM I sold the car. I did not want problems down the road with 4 cyl on all the time and 4 off part time. I can only image the engine imbalance that would result from years of that crap. Of course, when it's past warranty. No can do.

So, went with a tried and true LS3 with the six speed and it's night and day a different car. Thankfully I got what I wanted for the auto, and found the new SS for what I wanted the same day. That's luck. I think GM had this gimmick on the caddy a few years back with nothing but warranty issues. That coming from a Chevy mech at the dealer. You should have heard the AFM with my Flowmaster AT exhaust system, it was silly.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #125
kbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
I don't fully understand the 2-3-2 method. I tried shifting down to 2, then to 3, then back to 2, but the car would never leave 2nd on its own. Can you explain it?
I always do this: after backing out of the driveway 1) I put the shifter in M to put it in S mode 2) right click into 2 M mode 3) right click into 3 4) left click neck into 2 5) start my driving....and stay in M the whole time It works for my car but annoying as hell. Just can't put up with AFM so I have to use tapshift all the time. Just want it to work as suggested by Jeff = AFM is off in S and M modes.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #126
kmarti25

Drives: 2010 Indy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Just like KBUI said, I just take off in M, shift to 2nd then 3rd then 2nd again when I pull out of the driveway, then it stays off until the shifter is moved out of M. It does suck driving with the paddles, especially when making a long turn at a stop light, the paddles are upside down or in some weird position making it hard to hit them.

The different sport/competition modes don't make any difference on my (our) 2010, just the 2-3-2 combo. Sure does drive better though.
kmarti25 is offline   Reply With Quote