Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
AGENT-006
AKA 'Mr. 006'

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro
Picking out my first gun..

Any good tips to what to look for to pick out my first gun. I am looking into getting my first gun along with a membership at the range. Ive never really shot guns before but would definitely like to learn how to shoot properly. Especially considering I want to be an officer eventually. My sister has offered to get me one for my 21st birthday next month.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
wyoming zl1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1372
May i suggest that you visit the NRA web site and look in your area for a Hand gun class. It would be very good for you before you get a gun. Lots of info and they let you shoot different styles so you can decied what you like. Its best to arm yourself with info up front. http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx
wyoming zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Drives: Destitute
Check out calguns.net. Get familiar with the legalities and restrictions of owning a firearm in California. Visit some reputable brick and mortar shops, two of my local favorites are 'We the People' and 'PRK Arms.' Choose a caliber, most likely 9mm since it is less expensive to shoot and train with. Determine what you want from your gun. Guys will side with XD's, others will swear by Glocks, I own both but prefer my single action Kimber. It all depends on you the shooter. Your interface with the firearm is paramount. Dont choose based on what works for other guys because you're not them. Most importantly, drill firearm safety! Muzzle awareness, proper loading and unloading of your firearm, manual of arms, etc. Properly operating a firearm, especially a handgun is a learned trade. Have fun, take it slow, and most importantly be humble and safe
Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Check out calguns.net. Get familiar with the legalities and restrictions of owning a firearm in California. Visit some reputable brick and mortar shops, two of my local favorites are 'We the People' and 'PRK Arms.' Choose a caliber, most likely 9mm since it is less expensive to shoot and train with. Determine what you want from your gun. Guys will side with XD's, others will swear by Glocks, I own both but prefer my single action Kimber. It all depends on you the shooter. Your interface with the firearm is paramount. Dont choose based on what works for other guys because you're not them. Most importantly, drill firearm safety! Muzzle awareness, proper loading and unloading of your firearm, manual of arms, etc. Properly operating a firearm, especially a handgun is a learned trade. Have fun, take it slow, and most importantly be humble and safe
^^^lot of good stuff here^^^

this>>> drill firearm safety! Muzzle awareness <<< I have personal carried for almost 20 years now, and I have tought my kids gun safety, and I go to the range and see people with no regaurd that bullets come out the pointy end and just wave it around like nothing. even when I sell one of my guns to a newbe, I give them a small lesson before I'll sell the gun to them (I only personal sell so its my choice who i sell to).
but nothing is more important than safety. and remember when you drill safety do it with an unloaded firearm.
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
Hammer St. James

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
To me it depends on the intended use of the firearm. For home security nothing beats a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

For CCW, and seeing this is your first firearm, I would suggest a revolver in the line of a .38 Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. There are less things that can go wrong in comparison to a pistol. Simply put, with a revolver if it doesnt go bang just squeeze the trigger again.
I'm a rebel. I will not allow anyone to dictate what I do, when I do it, or who I do it with. I feel sorry for those that choose to compromise their goals, dreams, needs, and desires to appease the control of another. I believe in freedom. I am an American.
-HSJ
Hammer St. James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
They still let citizens buy guns in California? Wow... better get one quick.

As advised above; do some research, check your local NRA, take a class. I would keep it simple while you're learning to shoot and handle handguns safely. I'm with Hammer - a nice .38 revolver is good for starters. Simple, nice balance, plenty of punch.

Good luck and be SAFE!
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Do Research, Take a class , and for the love of God go to a gunshop and stick as many guns in your hands as possible. Get the feel of it first. If its not comfortable in your hand before you start fireing it sure as hell wont be when you fire. I agree a revolver for a first gun is the best IMHO. Less complicated and surely more reliable. I'd suggest for the money get a 357 Mag. Basically you have 2 guns in 1 for the money. A .38 special will fire in a 357 mag. Use and practice with that awhile first. When you wanna step up in firepower get some 357 mag rounds and go from there. Good luck and be SAFE. Safety first my friend
Old 06-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE View Post
I'd suggest for the money get a 357 Mag. Basically you have 2 guns in 1 for the money. A .38 special will fire in a 357 mag. Use and practice with that awhile first. When you wanna step up in firepower get some 357 mag rounds and go from there. Good luck and be SAFE. Safety first my friend
Pipe - Not a bad idea, but I was trying to keep it as simple as possible. I have a .357 Mag and love it. I use .38s to target shoot because of the expense. I suppose it would be possible to restrain from the urge to load .357s while learning the gun, and just use .38s for a while.
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming zl1 View Post
May i suggest that you visit the NRA web site and look in your area for a Hand gun class. It would be very good for you before you get a gun. Lots of info and they let you shoot different styles so you can decied what you like. Its best to arm yourself with info up front. http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Quote:
Do Research, Take a class , and for the love of God go to a gunshop and stick as many guns in your hands as possible. Get the feel of it first. If its not comfortable in your hand before you start fireing it sure as hell wont be when you fire. I agree a revolver for a first gun is the best IMHO. Less complicated and surely more reliable. I'd suggest for the money get a 357 Mag. Basically you have 2 guns in 1 for the money. A .38 special will fire in a 357 mag. Use and practice with that awhile first. When you wanna step up in firepower get some 357 mag rounds and go from there. Good luck and be SAFE. Safety first my friend
and MORE

The three posts above, will be the best advice you will ever get......heed it and all will be good in your world!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer St. James View Post
To me it depends on the intended use of the firearm. For home security nothing beats a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

For CCW, and seeing this is your first firearm, I would suggest a revolver in the line of a .38 Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. There are less things that can go wrong in comparison to a pistol. Simply put, with a revolver if it doesnt go bang just squeeze the trigger again.

I have found a good CCW and home security gun

Name:  410.JPG
Views: 7895
Size:  587.2 KB

410 judge
I load .410 double buck and bird shot for home
and 45 colt and 2 1/2 hollow slug for personal
its light weight and with the double buck and bird it doen't kick much (the wife likes it for home also)
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
Definitely echo the safety classes. Many folks don't take the time to learn good habits, and they end up putting themselves and the folks they shoot with in danger.

When you're looking at your first firearm, don't discount the SIG pistols, although they are among the most expensive options out there. The P226 is the official sidearm of the SEALS, so if it's good enough for them, you can be sure it'll work for you reliably as well. The P226 also has a .22LR conversion slide, so you can practice technique without burning more expensive ammo.

I've also had friends with good success with CZ pistols. Both the SIG and CZ pistols are in the "more rounded" style grip, along with Berettas and 1911s. Glocks, HK's, and the XD mentioned earlier are in the more "squared" grip style. It's best to hold both and see which you like better, as the comfort of the pistol will play a part in how often you shoot.

Lastly, it's best to define what is "sufficient" marksman skill for you. You could spend 200 bucks a week on ammo, or 50 bucks a month, or even less, to get to and maintain the level of marksmanship you desire. Knowing what that level you desire ahead of time helps predict the long-term costs and can influence ammunition choices.
On Order: Ported IM
Future Plans: Airlift Suspension - CF Driveshaft - 9in IRS - SC FI - Brembo Brakes - more Pfadt
Team
LLT
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Great 1st gun is a .22, you can get them as a revolver or semi-auto, accurate and can shoot all day without breaking the bank.

Take a course, learn the proper way to handle a pistol, then spend a good chunk of time at the range practicing what you've learned.

I've been shooting since I was a little squirt, 45 years now I guess.... learned bad habits from brothers, better habits from dad. Repetition is a good thing with firearms, learn the correct way and do it over and over.

I open carry a full size 45 and compact 40, semi-auto's are inherently more dangerous than a revolver, the big advantage is higher capacity. (If you can't hit your target with 6 rounds you didn't practice enough)

NEVER put your finger on the trigger until you're ready for the firearm to fire!

I can't tell you how many times someone has brought out a pistol with a hair trigger, and put a bullet in the dirt before they ever got the barrel pointed down range. Bad MOJO

Re-read the red sentence above.

Read it again.

Memorize it.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
First of all, are you buying a rifle or handgun?

I recommend going to your local gunshop and tell them what you're looking for and to handle several different types of handguns and/or rifles to see what feels the best in your hands.

Do some research on the firearms that you like and on the different types of ammunition available for said firearms.

I also recommend taking a firearm safety class.
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Do Research, Take a class , and for the love of God go to a gunshop and stick as many guns in your hands as possible. Get the feel of it first. If its not comfortable in your hand before you start fireing it sure as hell wont be when you fire. I agree a revolver for a first gun is the best IMHO. Less complicated and surely more reliable.
THIS!

My first gun was a 9mm.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote