Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #15
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13LTLoveIt View Post
Well call to my son, dealer having problems with new header panel, latching. Good God are we cursed getting convertibles? 17,300 miles and dropped the top around 28 times.
You are not using it enough to keep it working properly. Anything mechanical needs to be cycled regularly to keep them operating properly. Ise it more and you will actually be better off.
Anyway the header panel is a known trouble area, I had to have mine replaced twice and it needed replacing again when I sold it. I still have that spare header panel.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #16
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Well, I called B.H. dealer & dropped car off today. They seemed more confident as I told them that they would have more luck with warranty on mechanicals for the top. I told them other Chevy dealer referred me. No rush. just get to the bottom of it. They said they would.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #17
18LTLoveIt

Able to drop the top again; almost 400 bucks and 2 dealers later. Service manager concurred needs to be dropped more often. He also said all drop tops, even manual ones need services, lube & adjust every 2 yrs. Here's a shot after getting back from dealer 2.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #18
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Good to hear. Good info too. I need to do mine. It is 5 years old now. Just in time for upcoming hot Phoenix nights.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #19
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Thank you for the details and advise. I have a 2014 that has less than 17K on the clock and I have had the top down maybe 8 times in the last year. I think I will start making it a one a week ritual just to keep her in shape.

Glad you got her fixed and back in the stable.

Larry
Old 04-08-2018, 05:20 AM   #20
KickerZ71

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Able to drop the top again; almost 400 bucks and 2 dealers later. Service manager concurred needs to be dropped more often. He also said all drop tops, even manual ones need services, lube & adjust every 2 yrs. Here's a shot after getting back from dealer 2.

Is there DYI to service/lub the top?
KickerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #21
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickerZ71 View Post
Is there DYI to service/lub the top?
There are youtube videos on that, not a Camaro in particular but it applies to all convertibles.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #22
18LTLoveIt

2nd Dealer charged $177.00 to adjust & lube. Not such a bad price, wouldn't be especially in a modder's mind since they blow 1000s.

What they found was passenger arm not sync with driver's side, off a bit.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #23
18LTLoveIt

Okay, some bad news, windows stick now, end of top gap now more noticable and surrounds over quarters. The rattle has gotten worse.

I took it to 40 yr old independent Topp Shop in Phx. They said top looks good, gap in back okay and I should take it back to Chevy for rattle and window issue. I'm done.

After summer road trip I'm trading the car in. I'll be somewhat sad but just cant deal with weather stripping being damaged by windows & a constant rattle over rough pavement.

I thought of going back to Mustang, but hell no for an updated 4 banger!

The Pony phase of my life is ending July, after KC, MO trip, for a practical sedan. It's been a fun 10+ yrs so far, 2.5 months to go.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #24
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Okay, some bad news, windows stick now, end of top gap now more noticable and surrounds over quarters. The rattle has gotten worse.

I took it to 40 yr old independent Topp Shop in Phx. They said top looks good, gap in back okay and I should take it back to Chevy for rattle and window issue. I'm done.

After summer road trip I'm trading the car in. I'll be somewhat sad but just cant deal with weather stripping being damaged by windows & a constant rattle over rough pavement.

I thought of going back to Mustang, but hell no for an updated 4 banger!

The Pony phase of my life is ending July, after KC, MO trip, for a practical sedan. It's been a fun 10+ yrs so far, 2.5 months to go.
I undestand your flustrations with the top on your car. Although i had had no issues with mine since the replacement other than two header panels it had always been a concern when it would happen again. Since mine was no longer covered under warranty I decided that before something else happened I would sell it.
Of course I got myself in a whole new can of worms with my new (used) convertible. I stepped down considerably by buying a 2007 Pontiac G6 Convertible. But pocketing the $8,000 extra I got over the price of the Pontiac give me some money put back “just in case”. So far it has been trouble free, and with no exposed top when it’s down and the extra security of the hardtop is a plus.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #25
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
The hard top convertible is a nice balance. If you don’t want to step that far down, BMW & Mercedes make one. If I have to get rid of mine and she still vetos another Corvette, I’d be shopping a BMW M.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #26
18LTLoveIt

VW Passat, test driving T4 and V6 Saturday. I tried to talk wife into a Passat in 2016 said to 'old man' for her. So I guess it's my turn. I've been researching the Passat for 3 days now. 2019/2020 a redesign in coming. I love the current styling, inside & out so I guess if I'm going to I better. Also for 2018 VW upped the bumper to bumper to 6 yrs, 72 months! That's sweet.

I'm siding on V6 for real leather & neat black woodgrain but, the price for the top of the line is a bit steep. V6 280HP which is 10 more than my Mustang and 53 less than Camaro. Another downer on the top of the line is 19 inch wheels which compromises the smooth ride of the 17 inchers. Also reviewer state the pleather on lower lines wear better than 30K on previous Jetta. Hmm. Also Navigation & dual exhaust come on the SEL. Decisions, decisions

oh well, I have over 2 months to decide. 780 mile rang per tank sounds sweet on the T4.

Today rode top down, 80 degrees, slight breeze. I'll miss that.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #27
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
The hard top convertible is a nice balance. If you don’t want to step that far down, BMW & Mercedes make one. If I have to get rid of mine and she still vetos another Corvette, I’d be shopping a BMW M.
Pretty sure lexus also makes one. Probably a couple others.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #28
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Pretty sure lexus also makes one. Probably a couple others.
Lexus is a good car. VW had one but I think it got the ax. Is the new Buick convertible a retractable hardtop?
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote