Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Trying to mount amp to the "roof" of the trunk... Howd you do it?

I have seen a few guys mount their amps to the roof of the trunk in between the rear deck speakers. With the clips and screws protruding down, what did you guys use to space the amp away from these misc things so that you could bolt the amp down?

Also, did you just use just self tappers, or did you try something with a bit more grab. Thanks in advance for your help. If you've done this before, pictures would be awesome too, thanks!

JD

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
camaroguy
MJ is finally home!

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS Camaro M6
I would attach a piece of mdf board to the roof of the trunk and then attach the amp to that..
camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
amp may overheat/shut down, though...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
camaroguy
MJ is finally home!

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS Camaro M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
amp may overheat/shut down, though...
That is true. Most amps prefer to be mounted horizontally..
camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Chaos Machine

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
not only that but you have to remember that heat rises and it will have nowhere to dissipate if its flush against the roof of your trunk. also i would be pretty weary of having it suspended like that, what if you go over a speedbump and it damages your rear deck?
Chaos Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Audio Integrations

Drives: Anything and Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
I have seen a few guys mount their amps to the roof of the trunk in between the rear deck speakers. With the clips and screws protruding down, what did you guys use to space the amp away from these misc things so that you could bolt the amp down?

Also, did you just use just self tappers, or did you try something with a bit more grab. Thanks in advance for your help. If you've done this before, pictures would be awesome too, thanks!

JD
Here's a rack we made for a Civic, basically just some square tube steel, welded to some hinges. This way the amps swing down for adjustments, and also the amps are still in the right orientation. Pretty crude really, but the guy wanted zero fanciness on it. Sorry for the pic quality, he sent them these since we didn't take any ourselves.

Here's another nicer one we did in a subaru

Even gave it a carpeted cover
Audio Integrations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
JDBeck23

Uggh... You guys at Audio Integrations have got to stop making great products! By the way, I got it installed, but I simply mounted the amp on the back of the backseat. I initially wanted to avoid that location, but it turned out to be the simplest for my limited abilities!

Both of this amp racks look awesome! Very sleek and clean, not showy, and very useful. Any luck you guys could shape one up to fit an Alpine MRP-500 (small mono amp). It fits very nicely width wise in between the two rear deck speakers, the only issue for a simpleton installer such as myself is that the clips and screws holding the speakers in and the back deck paneling down protrude through the metal.

But with the way that your racks look, they would work perfect as they appear to give the amp a decent buffer. And they're mounted horizontal instead upside down... all pluses in my book!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
Old 11-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
JDBeck23

And also I preordered your enclosure... LOVE it! It's absolutely perfect for what I wanted. The Alpine Type R 10 fit perfect in the opening and installation was simple and straight to the point!

Now if you could make a rack to fit in between the two rear deck speakers and you'd force me to flip out my wallet again!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
Old 11-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy View Post
I would attach a piece of mdf board to the roof of the trunk and then attach the amp to that..
thats gonna be one heavy trunk lid then.. you better increase the size of those struts ( if that is even possible) that help to compensate for the weight or you will have problems..
Old 11-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
hey Beck you can pick up nylon spacers from home depot or lowes to offset the space they won't crush and with self tappers actually holds pretty snug. Or predrill the holes for the amp mounting and use other sheet metal screws, they are less likely to strip out.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
urgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
thats gonna be one heavy trunk lid then.. you better increase the size of those struts ( if that is even possible) that help to compensate for the weight or you will have problems..
I dont think he meant the truck lid ..as in th e trunk itself.. Im thinking in relation to the under rear deck area.. which would have no issue holding a amp or two in a rack.....

Same place some OEM?/Aftermarket mounts the cd changes & stuff..
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
JDBeck23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
hey Beck you can pick up nylon spacers from home depot or lowes to offset the space they won't crush and with self tappers actually holds pretty snug. Or predrill the holes for the amp mounting and use other sheet metal screws, they are less likely to strip out.
Yeah I wasnt sure what to use for spacing... Nylon spacers would be perfect, you're right! Maybe a winter project to make an amp rack like for the 'maro.

Thanks for the help guys!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
Old 11-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
JDBeck23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieboy View Post
I dont think he meant the truck lid ..as in th e trunk itself.. Im thinking in relation to the under rear deck area.. which would have no issue holding a amp or two in a rack.....

Thanks for steppin in there for me... uh NO! Im not trying to mount the amp to the trunk lid, but the roof of the trunk (under the rear deck speakers).

2010 2SS/RS CGM
Old 11-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieboy View Post

Oops , Misunderstood what he was saying, I guess my definition of "roof of trunk" is different from his... But it's all good...
Thanks for clearing that up.