Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Nick_ View Post
The best way to break it in is to drive it like you stole it, not baby it.
Thats disputed between differnet mechanics, owners manual, dealers, etc.
I dont believe any one person on that topic lol
Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
Switch it to sport mode? lol cai and tune should give a nice umph though ported TB as well. If still seems slow then could do a new cam or supercharge it.
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Dude....you can't compare a 7.70 drag car to a street car. LOL
Old 04-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
In sport mode hold the traction control for 7 seconds or so will turn off all the nannies and you should have a problem, but remember the pirelli's are sticky tires.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
dawgsfan, so far you have been given all the info you areally need to get you started.....so with that in mind.....CONGRATS on the new ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
dawgsfan

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss2
Thanks for all the answers & comments. I may still hv the tc on. Before when I was tryin to spin the car I had a dash light that was a horseshoe w/tc on. What does that mean? Tonight I got on it & it did spin a little & my dash had that same light on as well as another light which is the same as the button. It's a car w/squiggly lines. Does tgat mean the tc is off? I tried pressing the button several ways & never got just the car w/squiggly lines light to stay on. I've still gta get the owners manual from the dealership so I'm sorry to keep asking questions
dawgsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #21
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Are you holding the brake pedal down? The stall on the L99 will keep you from being able to if you are holding it down much at all. Hold down your T/C button for 7 seconds. Lightly press on the brake and ease into the throttle to get them spinning. Release brake and enjoy the smoke show.

I would also run out that gas, fill up with 93 top tier gas like Shell. Redo the fuse pull #5 & #20. Try again.

PS. Without a brake stand of some sort you will NEVER get an old school wicked burnout in this car stock on stock Pirellis.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #22
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I have the exact same car, or at least I bought the same car new. Totally different now but I remember what you are talking about. My car would break the rear end loose but not dramatically in stock form.

Are you turning off the traction control system? that may help alot.

The biggest thing you can do it to get a custom tune for the engine and trans. This can do many things but in your case, the best thing it will do is greatly change the torque management system. This system limits how much torque is allows to reach the rear end until the RPM levels reach around 4000 rpms I believe

Getting this system turned off or greatly modified will turn the car into a totally different beast. The L99 trans has a very low first gear and with the torque management turned off you will be amazed at the difference.

For me getting the AFM system turned off was a big plus. With a good tune, you will get pretty much the same milage even with the AFM turned off.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #23
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Burning off isn't fast....

Of course, I have a manual which is much easier to break the tires loose with. Still, I'd rather have traction and acceleration than break the tires loose.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #24
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgsfan View Post
I just bought my wife a 2010 RS/SS2 w/automatic transmission. From what I read on here its the L99 w/35k miles. Anyway, it runs good but doesn't seem that fast to me. I installed a custom exhaust removing the resinator and installing a set of flowmasters w/ X-pipe plus did the reset for low octane fuel & both made a difference but still doesn't seem all that fast to me. I'm about to put on a C.A.I. plus either a tune from vengeance racing or a programmer. When I read what people write on here my car really seems slow. 1 guy said on his car that after doing the ecu reset his car began chirping 2nd & 3rd gears. Mine definetly don't chirp gears. It really doesn't shift that hard to me. Also it hardly even spins the tires no matter if I turn off the traction control. I've bn playing w/ traction control trying to figure out the settings as far as off, competitive mode, etc. Anyway I'm sure its been talked about all over this forum but if some1 can give me a few tricks/trades I'd be greatful. I'm even looking for info on the best add ons (that really work & make most hp). Plus I may need driving tips as well. It's bad that I have my nhra license & run 7.70 1/4 mile but can't do a burnout in a new camaro. Hahahaha. Thanks for any advise!!!!

Sounds like yours is broke. I have the V6 man with 19" PZeros and can break the tires loose even from a 10mph roll on with trac control on. You should def. be able to spin your tires at will.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #25
11 Camaro IBM

Drives: Camaro IBM
I have a v6 with tune, isolator, portted throttle body, Vararm, and flowmasters and I can easly lose traction on WOT I can't imagine the v8 having problems
11 Camaro IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #26
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Are you holding the brake pedal down? The stall on the L99 will keep you from being able to if you are holding it down much at all. Hold down your T/C button for 7 seconds. Lightly press on the brake and ease into the throttle to get them spinning. Release brake and enjoy the smoke show.

I would also run out that gas, fill up with 93 top tier gas like Shell. Redo the fuse pull #5 & #20. Try again.

PS. Without a brake stand of some sort you will NEVER get an old school wicked burnout in this car stock on stock Pirellis.
Doing that is no indication of power. You can do that in a toyota tercel if its rear wheel drive.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #27
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Lets start off by first loose the nannies:
Press the traction button 3 times. on the 3rd time hold it down for 5-10 secs till you see 3 lights light up on dash. THis would indicate, traction off,stabilitrak off, competitive mode( not sure about that one but another light). If you can't leave rubber after stalling up and flooring it you have other issues. Maybe a fuse pull is in order, then a good tune, cai, exhaust....:thumb up: When I had just bolt ons, Solo Catback, Cold Air Industries Cai, SW Headers and ECS tune it would chirp first 2,3 and have a tough time trying to hook up. Hope that helps any.

BTW If you hit traction 1 time its t/c off but stabilitrack on. It will keep you from going sideways or loosing it in a turn.
Hit the t/c twice and you basically have everything off but I think it still has some torque management .
Hit 3rd time and hold it for 5-10secs will make for real fun.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #28
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Tuning will do wonders for the L99. The stock tune is supposedly pretty lame. Gears made a huge difference on mine. It would probably burn the rear wheels off altogether now if I let it.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote