Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
QuiksilverHg

Drives: 2SS, RS Package, Imperial Blue
Oil Change

Sorry, noob question.

Is there any reason I should go to the dealer for the change instead of just getting a change done at the Jiffy Lube or Walmart or something? Last time I went to the dealer I felt like I got totally ripped off on the oil change, this will just be my second one since getting the car.

Thanks for the response.
QuiksilverHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Nope. You should attempt to do it yourself though.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
And I would never go to Walmart for an oil change.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
GhOsT_2SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I have heard nothing but horror stories about jiffy lube or walmart oil changes, wrong filter installed, striped drain plugs, not to mention the shit dino oil they are going to put in your car. Or they might forget the oil or drain plug all together. Most of them places wont use your oil or filter and if you've already bought your own oil and filter, oil alone Mobil1 5w30 8-9quarts is already what $70 filter $10-15 AC delco or NAPA wick filter(which is what I prefer). buy some $30 ramps and do it yourself. My dealer gives me free oil changes for as long as I own my car and bring it to them. But I still do a lot of my own work that's not warranty related.
GhOsT_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
IMO, I wouldn't take my car ANYWHERE for an oil change! If at all possible, do it yourself! That way you know it's done right! I pass up free oil changes, rather do it myself!

I've had several horror stories, just by getting a simple oil change! From dealerships, and businesses!!!

I'd rather hit my head with a brick, than take it somewhere for a oil change!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
A friend of mine took his Mustang to a Jiffy Lube type place and they forgot to put oil in it. Got about half a mile down the road and the engine seized. Car only had 8000 miles on it. They wanted to put an engine in from a wrecked car with 45k miles on it. Do it yourself man. Its easy as cake.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I let my dealer do my oil changes, I buy my own oil which is Pennzoil Platinum. 44.00 for 2 5 quart jugs from Walmart. 13.00 for a GM oil filter that is used on ZR1 and some of the heavy duty trucks. Much stronger and heavier than normal LS3 filter and 13.99 for them to do the change and check over the car.

Change oil every 6K miles.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Grab yourself 8 quarts of Mobil 1 and a NAPA Platinum oil filter. There are many DIY tutorials on here that walk you through the process. It's very easy to do and shouldn't take you more than 30 mins.

It's a good thing to do on your own because it gives you the chance to look under the car and inspect it.

Stay clear of the quick lube places. The people working there don't care about your car.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I let my dealer do my oil changes, I buy my own oil which is Pennzoil Platinum. 44.00 for 2 5 quart jugs from Walmart. 13.00 for a GM oil filter that is used on ZR1 and some of the heavy duty trucks. Much stronger and heavier than normal LS3 filter and 13.99 for them to do the change and check over the car.

Change oil every 6K miles.
Will that oil filter fit on a L99?

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Grab yourself 8 quarts of Mobil 1 and a NAPA Platinum oil filter. There are many DIY tutorials on here that walk you through the process. It's very easy to do and shouldn't take you more than 30 mins.

It's a good thing to do on your own because it gives you the chance to look under the car and inspect it.

Stay clear of the quick lube places. The people working there don't care about your car.

I sell filters, The filters a lot of quick change oil places use are CHEAP! They sell their oil changes by price so they are using $2.40 filters. Very rarely a customer asks what filter the shop is using as they are concerned on price. The problem the industry is having right now is the growing amount of vehicles now using synthetic oil. The Cheap Filters are not designed to go as long as the life of synthetic oil. A cheap filter is designed to go 3000 miles tops.
As mentioned spend a few bucks more on a good filter! The NAPA Platinum IMO is the best out there. The Gold is good as well. I cut filters apart regularly to show shops and customers the difference. There is a huge difference.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tys2010camaro View Post
I sell filters, The filters a lot of quick change oil places use are CHEAP! They sell their oil changes by price so they are using $2.40 filters. Very rarely a customer asks what filter the shop is using as they are concerned on price. The problem the industry is having right now is the growing amount of vehicles now using synthetic oil. The Cheap Filters are not designed to go as long as the life of synthetic oil. A cheap filter is designed to go 3000 miles tops.
As mentioned spend a few bucks more on a good filter! The NAPA Platinum IMO is the best out there. The Gold is good as well. I cut filters apart regularly to show shops and customers the difference. There is a huge difference.
wix and purolater and amsoil are what i would use. i think one of those first 2 actually make the napa platinum...correct me if i am wrong. If im not it would make it a fantastic filter.

I like cutting my filters in half just to see how they held up.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
What ever oil or filter you buy do what I do. Prefill the new filter with oil so that the engine has minimal time without oil pressure.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
wix and purolater and amsoil are what i would use. i think one of those first 2 actually make the napa platinum...correct me if i am wrong. If im not it would make it a fantastic filter.

I like cutting my filters in half just to see how they held up.
Yes, Wix makes NAPA filters and many other top notch filters. I have been to the Wix factory numerious times. After the filter is made, it is branded and labled for that particular vendor.

Also if you cut a NAPA Platinum filter, the media also has a fiberglass type mesh as well as the standard paper media with netting. When buying a filter, an extra $8.00 goes a long way! Blows me away when a guy puts a $4 filter on a $50k car or truck. I deal with this on a daily basis.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
denooo11
Dean Voss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to denooo11
Oil change

8 Quarts Pennzoil 5W/30 with a K&N filter at Advance Auto $ 60
denooo11 is offline   Reply With Quote