Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
Tech@Flowmaster

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Your sound...what is it?

Let’s face it. Sound is subjective. Everyone has an opinion when it comes to exhaust and how they would like their vehicle to sound.There is no right or wrong answer. So, what is your sound? Are you committed to ear-splitting volume or do you like to hold a conversation inside of the car? What was the first modification that you made to your exhaust system? Are you happy with your current setup or do you plan on making a few changes in the future? Cat-back, Axle-back or muffler swap? Voice it all here.
Tech@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
You guys did me right!

Lots of word going around about how Flowmasters 'drone'... but I've never experienced an issue with my Outlaw Series. This was one of the first mods I installed on my Camaro. Since, I've installed BBK Shorties and JBA HFC's - for exhaust.

I'm in love with the tone note. Here I am at about 1/2 throttle... and no redline. It was early and I didn't want to wake up all the neighbors...

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I actually prefer something not too loud and not crazy deep. I prefer the way the Vette sounds over the Camaro. If I were to buy a cat back right now it would be the Borla S-Type.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
I have headers, hi flow's, and x pipe. If I were to do an axle back it would be SW Retro

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
Superdonkey23

Drives: BRM 2014 SS/M6
LT headers with hf cats and the NPP exhaust is my favorite exhaust setup. It's loud enough without being annoying and still has a nice growl.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdonkey23 View Post
LT headers with hf cats and the NPP exhaust is my favorite exhaust setup. It's loud enough without being annoying and still has a nice growl.

This is my set also except I also have a cam. Awesome!
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)

My first exhaust mod was a Solo Performance axle back, then I found speed engineering headers and swung for that. It is very loud, but not so loud that you can't hear the radio or hold a conversation. I'd call it a comfortable kind of loudness, I wanted to hear my car so I don't mind a little drone and I'll easily take that compromise compared to how this thing sounds at WOT with the windows down.

It's an attention getter too, anytime I'm in a parking lot and fire the 'ole girl up everyone who is outside usually turns to see who's car that is.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #8
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
I think my FM American Thunder makes for a pretty good balance. Loud when you floor it, quiet at idle.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
I first did the MBRP exhaust and at first I was not to happy with it. I was ok when in V-8 mode, but when AFM kicked in it sounded terrible. Then I had Kooks LTH installed and AFM was tuned out and now I totally LOVE it. A nice deep rumble all the time except when you step on it, then it barks pretty good.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
My first exhaust mod was to get rid of the previous owner's terrible exhaust choice. The car droned something fierce and hurt my ears on long trips. I went with Solo's Mach XL catback because of their guaranteed drone free experience. From there I got Kooks LT's with cats. The car is very loud at WOT but is very calm in the cab when cruising so I can still listen to the radio at low volumes and hold conversations. I like how my Camaro has a rumble and can be loud when I want it to be. I'm happy to say I get a lot of compliments at meets and shows.

Since the sponsor of this thread is Flowmaster I have to give them a shout out because I have a friend who has their axle back outlaw series mufflers combined with bbk shorties and high flow cats. It sounds pretty awesome too!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I like my stock exhaust, because it doesn't compete with the music I listen to when tooling down the road.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #12
Existential Lad
Banned

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (BLACK/GRND FX)
The window sticker I added made my car sound a lot better.

Listen for yourself.

Existential Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:09 PM   #13
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (Sold)
I like the raspy, high pitched v8 sound. I also like the volume in the moderate range, quiet at 2000rpm and below with that v8 rumble and loud as a f18 fighter when I hit WOT.
2011 IOM 2SS/RS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8” headers, PTB, Hurst short throw, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. 3660lbs. Tuned by me (sold)

2010 RJT 1SS/RS LS3 M6- CAI, TSP 2” headers, TSP F-35 cam, PTB, Hurst short throw, Dronemaster catback, BMR lowering springs, Kirkey seats, 20”/18” Weld Belmonts, 3550lbs.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:34 PM   #14
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
The first thing I always put on a new vehicle is always a Flow Master system. So I went with the 409 stainless Thunder great choice. Then I put Doug Throley ceramic shorties on w/JBA High Flow Cats CNC throttle body. even better sound. But the shorties were just wrong for me.

So I went with the 1 7/8 Kooks long tube headers with their HFC w/dyno tune. In my opinion this really woke the car up. Then 2 weeks ago i had the QTP Low profile electric cutout put in. Sounds just like a Nascar now. WOW