Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #29
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
The Hyundai Genesis does not compare to a Camaro ss. It barely beat the v6, and even then it came down to 1 or 2 points, which for me didn't matter. Many other cars compare with an ss, but a hyundai genesis is not one of them, It looks just like a acura rsx, not very stylish at all.
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #30
blinkme323

Drives: -
Wow, it's amazing how misinformed some people are about the Genesis. I'm not saying it's better than the SS, but it's certainly not the joke that some posters are making it out to be. I'm assuming 99% of them haven't even seen one in person, much less driven one before.
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #31
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Wow, it's amazing how misinformed some people are about the Genesis.
I agree. Kinda funny how some people can be so ignorant. People really need to get past the "It's a Hyundai" factor. I don't care what it beat. The matter is, is that it beat the v6 camaro, in which is the same in horsepower numbers. People need to stop saying "It barely beat it", no one cares, a win is a win. Way too many fan boys of one certain type of car.
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #32
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Must be a lot of "buyers remorse" topics over on the genesis forums. I can't imagine any other reason for so many of them to come here and try and pick fights with a clearly superior vehicle.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #33
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheGloves View Post
I agree. Kinda funny how some people can be so ignorant. People really need to get past the "It's a Hyundai" factor. I don't care what it beat. The matter is, is that it beat the v6 camaro, in which is the same in horsepower numbers. People need to stop saying "It barely beat it", no one cares, a win is a win. Way too many fan boys of one certain type of car.
Way too many fan boys of Camaros on a camaro forum? What is the world coming to? And 580 rwhp on a 3.8L Hyundai engine? That is probably running race fuel and I doubt it would last 10,000 miles, so I don't think the "it hasn't broken yet" argument really holds any water when talking about durability.

To talk about aftermarket parts, how many choices in cams do you have, how many different heads can you buy, how many stroker crankshafts can you buy, how many aftermarket intakes, exhausts, etc. can you buy for the Hyundai? Not very many, so some $10k turbo kit to turn your Hyundai engine into a pile of parts within 20,000 miles doesn't seem like a very good option to me. If you like Hyundai's, that is your choice, I am sure they must have some forums for them; but it is pathetic to come on a Camaro forum talking about how great a Hyundai is.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #34
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
I would have to disagree with this. The Aftermarket right now for the Genn coupe is huge, and steadily growing. Remember, this car had a head start in Korea well before it hit the states. I would dare say that there are more aftermarket parts available for the Genn Coupe than the Camaro right now.

The Top Genn Coupe btw has leather, bluetooth, hmm actually everything the 2SS has..right down to the bembro brakes. Just lacking in the N/A power dept really....

As far as which will be worth more ? Hard to say really...I mean if we use 3rd or 4th Gen Camaro's as a example...
Well, considering there are 10, 20, 30, and 40 year old camaros being driven, restored, etc., and I have never seen a Hyundai running or worth anything any older than about 8 years, I think I will give the edge to the Camaro. Not sure what point you were trying to make about how much a 20 year old Camaro costs? LOL, find me a 20 year old Hyundai.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Please try to cool off a little, folks. No reason to get agitated...just remember one thing -- this is a Camaro-oriented forum. An easy reminder is the sections name "CHEVY CAMARO vs...*no name entered*. That's not to say we don't want you to discuss other vehicles. The creation of this section, and the "Other cars" section proves otherwise.

Just understand that most members here (including myself) will elevate the Camaro in a draw outcome, or even a loss...get over it.....

Old 07-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #36
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Well, considering there are 10, 20, 30, and 40 year old camaros being driven, restored, etc., and I have never seen a Hyundai running or worth anything any older than about 8 years, I think I will give the edge to the Camaro. Not sure what point you were trying to make about how much a 20 year old Camaro costs? LOL, find me a 20 year old Hyundai.
Then you will know why I made the comment. This is Hyundai first foray into a performance model I think they did a good job first time out.

You may also want to visit a few web sites on performance parts. There is a lot of options on everything you mention. But its obvious you feel that the car does not have anything going for it. So you dismiss it with a thought, but you are lacking some serious info on this car.

As the Genn coupe goes, it is still out to see how far down the line it goes. For now its doing well. Quite well. Remember, there is more than just the american car market
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #37
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Please try to cool off a little, folks. No reason to get agitated...just remember one thing -- this is a Camaro-oriented forum. An easy reminder is the sections name "CHEVY CAMARO vs...*no name entered*. That's not to say we don't want you to discuss other vehicles. The creation of this section, and the "Other cars" section proves otherwise.

Just understand that most members here (including myself) will elevate the Camaro in a draw outcome, or even a loss...get over it.....

Make sure to remind folks that SUBJECTIVE comparisons like "My Genesis looks more badass!" and "Genesis is way sleeker!" are not really going to earn any respect here.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #38
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheGloves View Post
First off, no one even gave the 3.8 track genesis coupe a chance. Yes, the ss does have a 114 hp advantage. It should be quicker, thats common sense. However some of the numbers for the Genesis coupe are wrong. I have seen numbers as low as 5.3-5.4 for the 0-60. Who says they wont be better with a quality driver? maybe 5.1-5.2? I have also heard of the genesis coupe running mid 13's in the 1/4. Not bad for a v6 Hyundai. I seen a few posts comparing the two in price. I could spend 31k for a fully loaded 3.8 track, for a fully loaded SS I am looking at over 40k.
I'm sorry but you sound like you're trying to make the Genesis Coupe sound better than it is. They spec'd it against the Ford Mustang GT. Great car to benchmark if you're making an affordable RWD 2+2 but the Hyundai engineers did not focus on outperforming it like those at GM did. They went to give it better fuel economy, a better interior, better handling, and probably fit&finish/build quality. To meet the price point of the Mustang and all those other objectives, they had to sacrafice acceleration. But as I understand it, we are talking about price and performance of the 1SS vs Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track

If the magazine tests are getting 5.7-6.0, I don't care if you're the greatest driver in the world, the same car will not do 5.1s. I've also seen mid 6's for 0-60 and I ignored those as well. If you want to go and use the absolute best possible for 1 car, use it for both cars. If so, the Camaro does 0-60 in 4.5s and the 1/4 in 12.7@ 112 mph. Either way, the SS vastly out performs the Genesis in a straight line and is right on its heels in the turns. Take the two to any track and the Camaro should win.

You said "Not bad for a v6 Hyundai." I'll give you that, because it is true. However, for a car to be a serious contender, the qualifiers have to be removed or relate so some standard of excellence. Fast for a Porsche means a whole lot more than fast for a Hyundai. Likewise, a good interior for a Chevy is a whole lot different than a good interior for an Audi. To put it another way, Hyundai Genesis is not at the top of any lists when it comes to cars with a "fast V6" just like the Camaro doesn't spring to mind when mentioning "Great interior".

As for pricing, I went to Hyundai.com and Chevrolet.com. The 3.8 Track starts at $30 250. The 1SS starts at $31 040. If you want to compare loaded models, things get a bit silly. Who wants a loaded 1SS? But anyways ... it becomes $31 750 vs $40 000 even for a loaded 1SS. That includes striping, sunroof, GFX, body coloured engine cover, upgraded stero, rally sport package, automatic transmission, car cover. Everything except for premium paint and different wheels. The only optional equipment that I saw on the 3.8 Track is the choice of a $1500 automatic transmission. So, there really is no 'loaded 3.8 Track', there is manual or automatic. In which case, the automatic 1SS is within $300 of the auto 3.8 Track. It doesn't get much closer than that for two competing cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #39
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
Does the camaro or genesis, have a cable?, or a computer sensor for the gas pedal?...i find computer sensors quite frustrating...the computer sensor in my moms cobalt is untolerable in comparison to my taurus' cable pedal...

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #40
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'm sorry but you sound like you're trying to make the Genesis Coupe sound better than it is. They spec'd it against the Ford Mustang GT. Great car to benchmark if you're making an affordable RWD 2+2 but the Hyundai engineers did not focus on outperforming it like those at GM did. They went to give it better fuel economy, a better interior, better handling, and probably fit&finish/build quality. To meet the price point of the Mustang and all those other objectives, they had to sacrafice acceleration. But as I understand it, we are talking about price and performance of the 1SS vs Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track

If the magazine tests are getting 5.7-6.0, I don't care if you're the greatest driver in the world, the same car will not do 5.1s. I've also seen mid 6's for 0-60 and I ignored those as well. If you want to go and use the absolute best possible for 1 car, use it for both cars. If so, the Camaro does 0-60 in 4.5s and the 1/4 in 12.7@ 112 mph. Either way, the SS vastly out performs the Genesis in a straight line and is right on its heels in the turns. Take the two to any track and the Camaro should win.

You said "Not bad for a v6 Hyundai." I'll give you that, because it is true. However, for a car to be a serious contender, the qualifiers have to be removed or relate so some standard of excellence. Fast for a Porsche means a whole lot more than fast for a Hyundai. Likewise, a good interior for a Chevy is a whole lot different than a good interior for an Audi. To put it another way, Hyundai Genesis is not at the top of any lists when it comes to cars with a "fast V6" just like the Camaro doesn't spring to mind when mentioning "Great interior".

As for pricing, I went to Hyundai.com and Chevrolet.com. The 3.8 Track starts at $30 250. The 1SS starts at $31 040. If you want to compare loaded models, things get a bit silly. Who wants a loaded 1SS? But anyways ... it becomes $31 750 vs $40 000 even for a loaded 1SS. That includes striping, sunroof, GFX, body coloured engine cover, upgraded stero, rally sport package, automatic transmission, car cover. Everything except for premium paint and different wheels. The only optional equipment that I saw on the 3.8 Track is the choice of a $1500 automatic transmission. So, there really is no 'loaded 3.8 Track', there is manual or automatic. In which case, the automatic 1SS is within $300 of the auto 3.8 Track. It doesn't get much closer than that for two competing cars.
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Does the camaro or genesis, have a cable?, or a computer sensor for the gas pedal?...i find computer sensors quite frustrating...the computer sensor in my moms cobalt is untolerable in comparison to my taurus' cable pedal...
Everything is going "drive-by-wire" (computer sensor). I know what you mean with the Cobalt...it's a little "loose" when it comes to responsiveness. But I wouldn't consider it intolerable.

Anyways, cars like the Camaro, Corvette, and even the Genesis will have the throttle response tuned to be sporty. So no worries.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #42
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Everything is going "drive-by-wire" (computer sensor). I know what you mean with the Cobalt...it's a little "loose" when it comes to responsiveness. But I wouldn't consider it intolerable.

Anyways, cars like the Camaro, Corvette, and even the Genesis will have the throttle response tuned to be sporty. So no worries.
And you can always re-tune them to be even sportier
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genesis coupe, hyundai