Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #15
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Keep it simple. Battery is new so next culprit would be the alternator. Should be 13.5 - 14.5 vdc with the car running and loaded up, (lights and A/C). After that next guess would be starter.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #16
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
So I just look at the voltage gauge cluster while I'm starting it?
Old 10-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #17
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
So I just look at the voltage gauge cluster while I'm starting it?
Look at it while it's running, should be slightly above 13 volts (about 13.5)
Old 10-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #18
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
The battery is new guys
Doesn't mean it can't be bad. The auto parts can load test it.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #19
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I had similar problems... replaced my starter and these problems went away. Someone also mentioned a grounding issue, which could also be your problem.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464447

eta; Mine did Scenario 2 once. Felt and ran very rough. Shut it down... waited a bit, then it barely restarted but all was normal after it was restarted. Again, issues you're calling out are very similar to mine... except mine never refused to start.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #20
Mando2776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
The battery is new guys
Defective battery? get it tested regardless.. u never know.
Mando2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #21
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
The battery is new guys
Just because something is new does not mean it is good.... these days new crap breaks or is faulty all the time. Start by load testing the battery.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #22
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ranking&page=3

Post 31, could be another possible culprit.

I've had this problem one time about 3 weeks ago after having made stops at 3 different stores. After the 2nd stop the car turned over slow but it started and ran fine, after the 3rd stop it cranked really slow and I got the same exact result as you(let the car sit for about 10 minutes with the hood up and it started). Haven't really pursued the problem as if I know I'm going shopping I drive the Jeep so I'm never making frequent stops like that in the Camaro.

From everything I've researched you can get the battery tested(there have been cases where they test fine but actually have a dead cell), install high torque starter, check all engine and battery grounds(have seen problems from a loose bolt at the engine to corrosion on battery terminal), or the fix above. I've read people on these forums having the same problem as you and each of those options has cured it for at least one person each. Hope something out of this will help you out.

LS3 Conversion | Comp Cam Custom Grind | Mast Heads | Comp Cam Push Rods | LS7 Timing Chain | 180 Thermostat | Ported Intake | Ported TB | SLP UDP | K & N CAI | Custom 3800 Stall Converter | Aluminum 1 Piece Driveshaft | Kooks 1 7/8" LTH | High Flow Cats | ARH 3" Exhaust | ARH Mufflers | Eibach Lowering Springs | BMR Floor Brace Subframe Connectors with Tunnel Brace | BMR Moly Lower Rear Control Arms | Oracle LED Halo Kit
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #23
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando2776 View Post
this...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #24
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando2776 View Post
Test it for both voltage AND cranking capacity Volts could test fine but cranking capacity could be low.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #25
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes I have always found batteries truly only live about half of their warrantied life with the advertised CCA, and many go down rapidly toward the end of their life as many are all made the same place just a different brand. I replaced my starter 6 mos or so ago and battery and sanded the ground points up by the starter / frame rails of front cradle and where the battery grounds in the trunk in the threads of a bolt hole which is lame that's no washer no wide area of contact with a plastic piece of the wiring harness attached as you tighten it down to act as a loom, its starting fine now but had a slower starter wind up and problems after about 10k with headers over two years on a 13.

Heat soak can happen as the heat shield is small and just insufficient. Headers on cars are also notorious for shorting starter lives. Good Luck
Old 10-21-2016, 06:54 PM   #26
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
+1 on check battery even if new...what kind is it? is it AGM design? As stated due to high comp ratio cranking CCA on these motors are high and can eat a sub standard batt...and clean all grounds...good luck..
Old 10-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #27
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Yes I have always found batteries truly only live about half of their warrantied life with the advertised CCA, and many go down rapidly toward the end of their life as many are all made the same place just a different brand. I replaced my starter 6 mos or so ago and battery and sanded the ground points up by the starter / frame rails of front cradle and where the battery grounds in the trunk in the threads of a bolt hole which is lame that's no washer no wide area of contact with a plastic piece of the wiring harness attached as you tighten it down to act as a loom, its starting fine now but had a slower starter wind up and problems after about 10k with headers over two years on a 13.

Heat soak can happen as the heat shield is small and just insufficient. Headers on cars are also notorious for shorting starter lives. Good Luck
Dammit you posted while I was typin..again! ROFL...same freakin wave length bro...
Old 10-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #28
ride4mud

Drives: 2011 2SS Vert
Check the + and - wires on your battery. Make sure the crimps are good. Had this exact same problem on my 2009 GMC and 2012 Cruze. Bad + wire on the GMC and a bad - wire on the Cruze.