Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 03-18-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
ogdrew

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Long Tube Headers + Stock Catalytic Converters

Hi all,

I'm interested in purchasing a set of long tube headers for my 2013 ZL1 6M. They would be 1 7/8, from speed engineering. The issue is that I don't want a lot more sound, I'd like to keep the sound low, and to fix that, I'm hoping to stick with stock catalytic converters. I'm looking to get the power gains from the headers, but the loudness staying the same.

Has anyone done this with long tube headers? Is this possible? If it is, let me know how you did it (pics would be nice too ).

Thanks,
Drew
ogdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
You're going to spend more money in fab work cutting and welding the the stock cats rather than just buying aftermarket cats that are plug 'n play with the long tubes. Plus you won't gain much power putting them back on because they are so restrictive.
2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:12 PM   #3
prod

Drives: HHR
Most go with hi-flow cats in your situation. They flow better and sound better without the rasp of going catless.
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #4
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by prod View Post
Most go with hi-flow cats in your situation. They flow better and sound better without the rasp of going catless.
You will only notice loudness when you cold start and when you go wot as the NPP will keep the stock sound till it opens and bi passes. The stock cats are the most restrictive part of the exhaust system, besides all the remanufacturing required and cost for that as mentioned in the thread.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:22 PM   #5
ogdrew

Noted- thanks for the input.

I believe the setup I'm going to go with is as follows:
Speed Engineering 1 7/8 LTH,
& 3 inch ZZPerformance 400 cell catalytic converters. They also claim to be "high flow" but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Does anyone know of any direct bolt on high flow cats to the speed engineering headers? 3 inch + 400 cell would be preferred.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 03-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #6
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdrew View Post
Noted- thanks for the input.

I believe the setup I'm going to go with is as follows:
Speed Engineering 1 7/8 LTH,
& 3 inch ZZPerformance 400 cell catalytic converters. They also claim to be "high flow" but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Does anyone know of any direct bolt on high flow cats to the speed engineering headers? 3 inch + 400 cell would be preferred.

Thanks,
Drew
Just my opinion, but many shops have tested and stated that the stock cats on our cars are a big restriction. 400 cell cats are still pretty restrictive, and I believe many OEM cats are around 400 cell, so I wouldn’t consider them high flow. I installed 200 cell cats behind long tubes and have never thrown any codes for catalyst inefficiency. Your mileage may vary. I felt like 200 cell were a decent compromise. You can still keep the noise levels down with muffler choice (moderate or mild axle back) without choking the exhaust flow with 400 cell cats.
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
ogdrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSammy View Post
Just my opinion, but many shops have tested and stated that the stock cats on our cars are a big restriction. 400 cell cats are still pretty restrictive, and I believe many OEM cats are around 400 cell, so I wouldn’t consider them high flow. I installed 200 cell cats behind long tubes and have never thrown any codes for catalyst inefficiency. Your mileage may vary. I felt like 200 cell were a decent compromise. You can still keep the noise levels down with muffler choice (moderate or mild axle back) without choking the exhaust flow with 400 cell cats.
I'm not worried about throwing any codes, I'm worried about the sound. I'd rather not have the car be obnoxiously loud which I why I chose 400 cell cats. I have the stock cat back and am trying to find a compromise with the new LTH + cats (not sure cell count yet, debating between 300 and 400) to keep the noise generally stock but also give me that power that can be gained from high flows.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 03-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
Coop[580

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Ashen Grey
Maybe a Honda Accord is more what your looking for..... nice a quiet but yet peppy...... but really the power your gonna get is minimal from exhaust. The responsiveness is what you’ll notice a little more..... the sound is why I believe many do exhaust mods. Opens the car up. Breath better!! .
635/632-93 octane
725/738-E85
Coop[580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:40 PM   #9
ogdrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop[580 View Post
Maybe a Honda Accord is more what your looking for..... nice a quiet but yet peppy...... but really the power your gonna get is minimal from exhaust. The responsiveness is what you’ll notice a little more..... the sound is why I believe many do exhaust mods. Opens the car up. Breath better!! .
Haha, if only it was my option.

I still live with my old man so he doesn't like a lot of noise. It would be obnoxiously loud if I had the option.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:38 AM   #10
Coop[580

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Ashen Grey
Well..... spend money on getting your own place!! U over 18 and out of school? Priorities... then build your car. But trust me when I was young my priorities were cars and girls... hahah.
635/632-93 octane
725/738-E85
Coop[580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:40 PM   #11
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
I really think you will be very pleased with the American Racing Headers Quad Axle Back mufflers, they flow with no restrictions on high horsepower engines and have a very quiet deep mellow tone until wide open throttle with very minimal drone. They are not loud with cats deleted.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote