Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Exclamation 400 busted for street racing, WTF? so give us a strip!

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-08...acing-bust.htm

Just seems that if 400 people will show up to an illegal street race...maybe we could afford to support a real track?
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
lol
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
except everyone wants to race but not work for it. that and zoning restrictions and housing booms have shut down tracks everywhere. 3 of my local tracks were shut down because of homeowners who built/moved in long after the tracks had been there, complained about the noise from the tracks.... which then get shut down, and those same people wonder why there is still street racing.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Wm Holden

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
except everyone wants to race but not work for it. that and zoning restrictions and housing booms have shut down tracks everywhere. 3 of my local tracks were shut down because of homeowners who built/moved in long after the tracks had been there, complained about the noise from the tracks.... which then get shut down, and those same people wonder why there is still street racing.
old people are morons...
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

Old 09-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
old people are morons...
...tell that to Richard Petty, Enzo Ferrari, Mario Andretti, etc.

You'll be old too, one day.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Drives: '11 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post

Enzo is dead dude.

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
It's a safety issue. Street racing is dangerous. I guarantee street racing fatalities would plummet if tracks were readily available.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Drives: '11 2SS M6
Dont tracks have a test and tune night?

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Wm Holden

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post

I'm 45...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It's a safety issue. Street racing is dangerous. I guarantee street racing fatalities would plummet if tracks were readily available.
agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipj3 View Post
Dont tracks have a test and tune night?
Love to tnt....iT'S WHAT MAKES ME GET OUT OF BED IN THE MORNIN'!

Old 09-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Agreed. If governments really cared about safety, they would encourage the development of strips and tracks. However, in this world of sound-bite media and knee-jerk, thoughtless voters, politicians would much rather say they solved the issue by arresting 400 people. It makes the jerks who buy houses near drag strips happy and it sounds good when played for 2 seconds on the news without real analysis, in between hour long reports on the state of Spears' underwear and Hilton's views on life.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
The same thing happened to the old spot I used to run at back in '05-ish. Luckily I had moved from the area in '04, but I'm not gonna lie that I'd ran my Supra there once or twice. Not my proudest moment but it was the interstate heading away from the base in Norfolk and it was always barren at 1 AM when we'd run.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Ah but racing at a track isn't cool. Thats what all those old guys do, with their Camaro's and Mustangs.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:29 AM   #13
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
The same thing happened to the old spot I used to run at back in '05-ish. Luckily I had moved from the area in '04, but I'm not gonna lie that I'd ran my Supra there once or twice. Not my proudest moment but it was the interstate heading away from the base in Norfolk and it was always barren at 1 AM when we'd run.
I remember the 564 bust. It was early '06. I didn't race there, but I went to the Kroeger where everyone hung out the weekend before it happened. It was my first and last time(not because of the bust) going there. I saw what was going on with the racing and knew that it was going to get busted. The day after I went somebody posted about the VDOT camera spinning around and showing all the cars in the Kroeger parking lot. The cops were in the bushes on the side of the road for three weeks with video cameras and radar guns. They were clocking cars doing in excess of 150mph. When the bust went down they came up all the lanes head on at the people who were racing in a rolling roadblock. From what I recall there were four cars racing with another five out there spectating. All of them were impounded. At the same time they blocked all exits to the Kroeger parking lot, and basically set up an impromptu tech inspection station at one exit that everybody had to go through. The news reports said that over 200 tickets were issued that night for various equipment, inspection, and registration violations. The unfortunate thing, is that the nearest track is about an hour away.
You can't ever stop street racing. As long as there are still cars there will always be people who want to see who is faster. It could be curbed, however, with the addition of more tracks, or at least a sanctioned, closed-off public road that is monitored by the police, with each driver signing a waver, just like a test and tune night at the local drag strip. In the Hollywood Hills the police close roads all the time to film car chases/shows, etc. If a safe, conrtrolled enviornment is provided, then illegal street racing will see a decline. With the zoning restrictions and noise complaints, there really is nothing that can be done other than petitioning the residents in the area and the city for allowance. It's highly unlikely that it will get anywhere, but it's worth a shot. It will also take awareness by both law enforcement agencies and car enthusiasts alike as far as what the local laws are concerning aftermarket modifications. Certain laws(such as exhaust) are writtin so ambiguously that patrolmen have discretion as to what is legal and what is not. If the law won't be rewritten, then police departments should at least establish a standard as to what would warrant the writing of a ticket, and make drivers aware. That way officers can't be giving tickets just because he feels like being a douchebag. Of course all these ideas would work in a perfect world, but the world certainly isn't perfect. It's just a suggestion along with my two cents.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:27 AM   #14
fbird777
SOM WS6

Drives: 2002 SOM Trans Am WS6
Thats alot of street racers, I think it would be obvious that 400 people show up in one location every week plus the sound of all those fart cannons going off.
fbird777 is offline   Reply With Quote