Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
I am MAD!! Do any of you have this problem??

I pamper my Baby like no tomorrow. I wipe her down after every drive. I don’t let her get rained on or drive her in bad weather. I park away from everyone. I don’t tailgate or put her in questionable situations.

My Problem is after I take her out for a day trip to enjoy my AWESOME CAR… I come home to find rock chips on her front end. These chips are deep. I wish I had some protection for her but it is too late now. I have about 5 chips in my paint. I guess I am to the point where I don’t want to take her out! THAT WOULD BE BAD! I love this car and want to drive her all the time.

Any Ideas to protect her now or should I wait until I have the stripes painted on and have the clear bra on the front. Does anyone with a clear bra have any chips? Feel free to offer some advice if you have seen or dealt with this issue! THANKS!!!
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
upheval
All over the planet

Drives: 2007 C6 M6 Victory Red
The only way to truly aviod chips and dings is not to drive it. Its going to happen. You just got to accept it and roll on. I feel ur pain though.
Full Exhaust Magna Charger Dyno'd Tuned 543RWHP 489RWTQ
2011 2500HD 6.6 4X4 Z71 397HP 767TQ Factory
Waiting on the ZL1
upheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
The factory paint on the front bumper is pretty thin. My local dealer repainted the front fascia as well as the rear fascia under warranty. I haven't had problems since. It's not my only car, but I've turned my Camaro into my daily driver.

-Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
CamarosThree

Drives: 2010 SSRS 97 Camaro SS 1969 Camaro
I agree, don't drive it!
CamarosThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
ya I was sort of like you but the way I look at it now is you only live once and no matter how hard you try to protect it stuff is gonna happen...so now I drive it when ever and where ever I want. I wash it and take care of it...if im not gonna enjoy it then who will...live like its your last day...
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by upheval View Post
The only way to truly aviod chips and dings is not to drive it. Its going to happen. You just got to accept it and roll on. I feel ur pain though.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevn86 View Post
ya I was sort of like you but the way I look at it now is you only live once and no matter how hard you try to protect it stuff is gonna happen...so now I drive it when ever and where ever I want. I wash it and take care of it...if im not gonna enjoy it then who will...live like its your last day...
HELL YEAH!!!!

BUT, I do feel your pain, Mark...someone hit my passenger door about a week ago...not too big, but a dent anyway...
Old 03-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It stings at first. Then you get over it. Besides no one notices the little chips when it's blowing by them.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A Collier Sr View Post
I pamper my Baby like no tomorrow. I wipe her down after every drive. I don’t let her get rained on or drive her in bad weather. I park away from everyone. I don’t tailgate or put her in questionable situations.

My Problem is after I take her out for a day trip to enjoy my AWESOME CAR… I come home to find rock chips on her front end. These chips are deep. I wish I had some protection for her but it is too late now. I have about 5 chips in my paint. I guess I am to the point where I don’t want to take her out! THAT WOULD BE BAD! I love this car and want to drive her all the time.

Any Ideas to protect her now or should I wait until I have the stripes painted on and have the clear bra on the front. Does anyone with a clear bra have any chips? Feel free to offer some advice if you have seen or dealt with this issue! THANKS!!!
Brother! Welcome to the club! lol. And the reason I say "brother" is because your just like me,...more or less to some extent. You think you pamper your baby? Dude, EVERYDAY before I leave for work, I "touch up" the car for 20 minutes with my detail spray and tire dressing, when I'm on 30 minute lunch at work, if I'm not hungry, (often)I go out to the garage and touch up my car again, THEN....at the end of the day when I'm home for good, I clean her again for the final time. So all in all, I clean my car about 3 times a day. I never miss a beat. The car always looks wet. So take it from me, I feel you pain.

I love this car to death, and if I had millions of dollars, I'd buy more, but of every color! There is no other car I'd rather have,....but here's something your going to have to come to terms with, "if you drive the car,....it WILL get rock chips". I don't care if you get a clear bra, or this and that, bras can only protect so much from ROCKS which are sharp solid objects. So understand this, YOU WILL GET ROCK CHIPS. And 2, YOU WILL GET MORE ROCK CHIPS. The most frequent places to get them is on your front bumper, but other places are definitely but not limited to, your side gills. That bumper and those side gills will probably the only spots you'll have to watch closely.

I don't know how I got some on my hood, but hey,....I'll thank the big dump trucks in bumper to bumper traffic. I know you hate to have to come to terms with this, but it's true. But look on the bright side,.......and I do mean the bright side,...most of these small rock-chips WILL NOT be visible to the daily drivers out in public. The only way these chips will really be seen is if a person has a chance to do a close-up walk around of you car, and even then, it still doesn't take away from the overall beauty of the car! It still looks good! Damn good!

If you don't believe me about them being visible, do this right now,...get out your camera, back up, and take a couple of photos of the car, and I'm willing to guarantee none of these chips will be visible to us viewers in the pictures. Now get closer, ...really close, then take some pics and they will become more visible, but dude, think, your the only person who will ever really be that close to your car, close enough to see the chips.

Dude, you have a Camaro, it's still new, and it has a gorgeous design, and if you take care of it, it's clean! Take it and stride! If you don't want any more chips,......PARK IT..............FOREVER.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
It's a car, so just drive it and don't worry about it. Crap is gonna happen, there is no point in having it if you are gonna be stressed over things happening. While you guys are treating them like babies, I'm out driving both of mine on a daily basis and getting enjoyment out of them.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #11
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
I clear bra'd it at 300 some miles. cost me 400 bucks and the guy was not a good as I thought he would be but it looks fine. I would take your baby to a body shop and pay to get the marks fixed and then get the clear bra. It takes a huge rock to make it though the clear bra. I have had one on my wife's Honda for 3 years and there are a few nicks in the bra but over all it was worth every stinking penny I put into it. Even if I had to collect aluminum cans on the side of the road to earn 400 bucks I would do it - thats how much I think of the bra after seeing it in action over 3 years. Pay to have it fixed and clear bra it. But I am very anal and I almost should have nothing new cause I worry to much about it getting it damaged. I think you are the type like me the has a lot of pride so go spend the money and get it fixed. gl and tell me what you decide.

Wizzer
Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #12
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yup, that's probably the only way, other than not driving it. Mine looks like a mine field! Scrapes right up the hood. best way it to get the scratches repaired, then #m or whatever clear bra the entire thing! When mine gets bad enough, that's what I'll be doing...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:18 AM   #13
fee5fofum

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Coupe & 2SS/RS
The clear bra was my first and most important MOD that I did ,well worth it !
Old 03-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #14
orange_5thgen

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS BadAss 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevn86 View Post
I agree. Either park it in the garage and just look at it every once in a while OR, have FUN and drive it! Stuff is gonna happen and most of the time it can be fixed.

I was a little paranoid about my car at first, and I've already scrapped two of the rims up against the curb and have some nice little grinds in them. I was upset at first, but figured oh well, I can fix it later when I get the time or money.

Just enjoy it!

And by the way, I have not noticed any dings on the front end of my car. Guess I'm just lucky so far.
orange_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote