Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
selleral

Drives: Black 2012 2LT RS
Where to spend my money on one or two Adam's items?

OK, I've heard a lot about Adam's here, but almost nowhere else. I've read reviews for other products on Amazon, and they always suggest buying other things, but never heard about Adam's anywhere but here. Clearly they have a good following here which I do trust, and I have a black Camaro, so I want it to look AS NICE AS POSSIBLE after I do a full detail. Few questions:

I want to wash, clay, polish, and wax my camaro after I get home (I'm at school, and can't wash it, and its been looking pretty bad for a little while). I am on an extremely tight budget, but will splurge for the essential Adam's products (but probably not their towels, tools, buckets, applicators etc). I am wondering, what would you not skimp on in during a complete detail? Due to current finance issues, I may have to buy some Adam's products, but mostly generics. Are the adam's waxes the most bang for my buck, if I can only spend a given amount of money. Should I just buy the buttery wax? Where would you suggest I invest my cash?

Also, I only have about 900 miles on my camaro, but feel like I want to condition the leather, is this a bad idea? Is the adams leather conditioner far superior?

One last thing, are polishes bad to use on a fairly new car. They're called "abrasives" but I do have some very minor swirls. Will a polish help or hurt my minor swirls? Same question about claying I suppose.

Thanks Camaro5, appreciate the input very much!

Selleral
selleral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Claying and polishing will not harm your car unless you are going way out of control with it. Cleaning your leather is a very good idea, but as to conditioning, its not necessary on our cars since the leather is coated. I don't have time to offer alternatives right now as I'm working on a project, but later tonight or tomorrow I will certainly reply back.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
selleral

Drives: Black 2012 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
Claying and polishing will not harm your car unless you are going way out of control with it. Cleaning your leather is a very good idea, but as to conditioning, its not necessary on our cars since the leather is coated. I don't have time to offer alternatives right now as I'm working on a project, but later tonight or tomorrow I will certainly reply back.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. Take your time!
selleral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Selleral,

Some suggestions: adamspolishes.com - probably one of the most invaluable things from this site is free. Review the video section and check out their forum.

You may have heard of the Junkman. Look him up on YouTube under junkman2000 or junkman2008. Watch ALL of his detailing videos.

Autogeeks.net - checkout the Tips and tricks section. Mike's videos are excellent

autopia-carcare.com - check out Todd's write ups here in the forum and on his site.

Both Autogeeks and Autopia will offer you addition products option.

The most important thing I found in all of these resources is there are commonalities in all of them that are product agnostic and expose you to slightly different techniques which IMHO is the real trick of detailing. Once you've perfected your technique, the products you use will be driven by your technique instead of The other way around.

Depending on your level "perfection" (what you personally consider a job well done) settle on it and create your technique based on that benchmark. If that benchmark is based on wash, clay, polish and wax then I'd recommend the following:

Wash - 2 bucket wash, get some 5 gallon buckets from one of the box stores and check Autogeeks or Autopia for a par of grit guards

Clay - mothers or miguires will do the job. Make sure you have a lubricant with your clay (do some research on soap and water verse detail spray. You could save some money here, but do it right)

Polish(es). Adams Shwril and Haze Remover followed by Fine Machine Polish. You'll get best results using a PC but your budget is tight, you might want to try Revive Hand Polish. Check both Autogeeks and Autopia for alternatives. (there are many)

Wax - Adams Buttery wax. Check both Autogeeks and Autopia for alternatives. (there are many)

I hope this makes sense and helps. Good luck and enjoy the passion.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
GPC1

Drives: Camaro SS
Because it's black and it's been a while since you cleaned it, i'd also consider a Foam Gun

http://www.gpcperformance.com/GPC_Foam_Gun_p/483.htm

"It's not a must have but a nice to have"
GPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Beemer
"Red Rocket"

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC1 View Post
Because it's black and it's been a while since you cleaned it, i'd also consider a Foam Gun

http://www.gpcperformance.com/GPC_Foam_Gun_p/483.htm

"It's not a must have but a nice to have"
Does that foam gun need a pressure washer or is it just a water hose hookup?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
GPC1

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Does that foam gun need a pressure washer or is it just a water hose hookup?
No pressure washer needed. You're fine with a normal hose hook up
GPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC1 View Post
No pressure washer needed. You're fine with a normal hose hook up
But I would recommend quick connects from the hardware store so you can switch out the foam gun with your water nozzle.