Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Whats the best wax for a black car, MINUS Zanio

Sorry Zaino guys i dont feel like the time or the money for the product. Whats the best wax out there for black cars, that does leave haze or anything??
Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I'd go with either Meguire's, or Mother's.

I just bought a pretty decent detailing kit from Meguire's. (They had a huge display at the GM/Camaro Nationals in Carlise) The products which came with it look very good.

If I weren't using Zaino on my SS, I'd go with Meguire's.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
i think i have seen some Black car wax before but didnt see it today
Old 06-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I'd go with either Meguire's, or Mother's.

I just bought a pretty decent detailing kit from Meguire's. (They had a huge display at the GM/Camaro Nationals in Carlise) The products which came with it look very good.

If I weren't using Zaino on my SS, I'd go with Meguire's.
What Moose said. I'd go Meguair's all the way then.
And no need to worry, because ZAINO does not make a wax, just the best polish out there!!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
you can just get Z-5 and Z-6 for about $25, and you only need to put it on once..... then put a new coat on when you would usually wax your car again. It's worth doing it this way just to have the Z-6 in your car for touch-ups.... Z-6 is like sex cream for your car.

or even easier..... Z-AIO alone for $26

little time, and little money

but if you insist on putting the $5 stuff on your new Camaro... Meguires I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
Sorry Zaino guys i dont feel like the time or the money for the product. Whats the best wax out there for black cars, that does leave haze or anything??
do you mean "doesn't leave a haze"
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.

Last edited by Bell040; 06-29-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
I think I heard that Zymol was good on black, you can get it at autozone.
But like Moose said it;s hard to beat megs or mothers for OTC products.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
TheNetGarage
We Sell Vinyl!

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I use Adams Products. A bit pricey, but excellent, and they last a long time!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-17-ca...nd-polish.aspx
TheNetGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
I recently went to my local auto shop and seen this
http://www.turtlewaxblackbox.com/

its by turtle was and called the black box, it has everything you need minus clay bar. I have a blk harley so decided to try it out as its a 2001 and has not been waxed in a long time.

after claying the bike and going through the process it shined like brand new dime and even reduces some scratches.
It really maked the black look deep in apperance and the wet look, I was quite impressed. I think it was only 19 or 24 and theres enough in there for many applications. Im going to do my sisters 07 silverado next week.

As far as wax for a holdup i usually just dust off my bikes since its not my daily driver but after 2 washes and 6 weeks its holding up good.

Last edited by D1BADZ; 06-29-2009 at 06:37 PM.
D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Meguiar's for me so far. Great stuff. Easy too.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
Meguiar's!
Paperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Consumer line is pretty dam good imo but have to admit zaino is amazing stuff. Havent found any product in the consumer line that can touch it for durability.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Well if you want the best possible outcome, time is one thing you have to spend. If you are just going to slap a coat of wax on there and nothing else, you arent going to get nearly the potential out of your car as you actually could.

Honestly, I've tried zaino and trophicare, and I get every bit as good results using meguiars products, but getting those results is a little more involved than just throwing some wax on there. You need to come up with a good routine. I'm a little of a meguiars fanboy, so if that might bother anyone read no further.

This is what I do-

1. Wash the car using dawn dishsoap. The dawn will completely strip any wax, and almost all contaminates, whatever it leaves you can get off with a claybar. A claybar will strip off wax too, and some people say dawn is overkill, but honestly, its not going to hurt your paint, and the less work the claybar has to do, the easier it'll be when you clay it.

2. Claybar. Even if you only have a couple hundred miles on your car, you need to clay it. You will get contaminates on your paint simply washing it will not remove, and you need the cleanest surface possible before you start putting on polish/wax. Any crap that gets left on your paint when you put wax on gets trapped in by the wax and will screw up your paint. I've actually never used a meguiars claybar, I still have a nice stock of zaino ones that work quite nicely. I use a quick detalier spray when I'm claying, you want to use it to lubricate the claybar. Spray down a small area and rub it down with the claybar until it is completely smooth, when you're done you should be able to put your hand in a plastic bag, rub it over the paint and feel no bumps whatsoever. Clay the entire car to this standard.

3. Wash with dishsoap again, you need to get the residue of the detailer spray off of the paint.

4. Polish. I personally use meguiars #7 show car glaze. Being that your car is black, you might consider using their #9 swirl remover or #80 swirl remover to combat swirl marks, considering your car is brand new you might get away with a normal polish like the #7. Just make sure to follow the directions exactly as it says on the container. Like on the #7, it says apply only to a cool surface, in the shade, and to use sparingly. If you don't follow any single one of those directions, its gonna be a pain in the ass and look like crap.

5. Wax. I use a coat of meguiars nxt 2.0 followed by a coat of meguiars #26 yellow wax. The #26 is essentially a caranuba wax with some synthetic stuff mixed in. I like putting the nxt on first because the nxt has cleaners mixed in with the wax that would mess with something neutral like the #26. I put one coat of the nxt, and wait about 12 hours, this way it gives the wax time to 'cure' almost, it is litterally setting up bonds over your paint at a molecular level after you put it on. You probably wouldnt notice a difference if you waited, but I'm sorta anal about it. After 12 hours I put on a coat of the #26, and usually like to wait a couple hours at least before I drive it so the second coat can get set up too. Just like with the polish, follow the directions exactly as the container says, most importantly if it says use sparingly, do it, if you don't youre gonna get poor results. The only problem with the nxt and the #26 is they don't last long at all. For a daily driver I wouldnt expect more than 2-3 months before you needed to do everything all over again. Meguiars also has a line synthetic sealants which should look as good as and last longer than regular wax, their #20 and #21, I have no experience with them but I'd imagine they would be every bit as good as zaino.

Just in general, work completely in the shade, every step, washing, claying, polishing, and waxing. Surface prep is the biggest factor in getting your car to look good, if you put polish and wax over a crappy looking dirty car, its gonna come out looking crappy and dirty. If you're gonna wait between coats of wax keep your car in a place with NO dust or dirt, like a really clean garage, and no where outside. After I'm done I like to use meguiars ultimate quick detailer spray after I wash it, every couple washes, its pretty mush just a synthetic sealant, and its good for adding some shine and helping everything last longer between waxings.

I've gotten most of my (miss)information from the forums on the meguiars website. They have very active moderators who would be happy to answer damn near any question you could imagine about detailing your car.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
Suskam

Drives: '11 Camaro/ '02 Grand Prix
Meguiar's rocks.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
DallasMike

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 pontiac gto
Tropi-care FTW! Zaino, Adams, have nothing on Tropi-care. Not to mention the BEST customer service in the industry!
DallasMike is offline   Reply With Quote