Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-31-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
soonerfanru2

Drives: 2ss
0 to 60 time

I kept reading all the talk about the L99 being slow so I had to see for my self. The wife and I went to dinner tonight and on the way home we did a couple of runs on a deserted hyway. I hit the button twice to put it in compettive mode mashed the gas while hitting the stop watch and boy that was fun. Two runs and both were 5.5 seconds 70 degrees in Oklahoma, and I barked the tires both times. It may do better if I just do it in sport mode. I think these numbers are pretty good compared to what some are getting. What do you think?
soonerfanru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I got 5.1 in my L99 at 90deg weather. Also drove another car with a tune... you won't believe the difference. The car totally comes alive and chirps the tires from 1st to 2nd.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
4.51 in my ls1 m6 with street tires

Last edited by 7CAMARO7; 07-31-2009 at 11:00 PM.
7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Not too bad with two people in the car. How did you time it?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #5
Baughman

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Good news. I'm glad you are happy with you L99's performance!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
only a couple have probs. Don't worry about it.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
okie2

Drives: RJT 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfanru2 View Post
I kept reading all the talk about the L99 being slow so I had to see for my self. The wife and I went to dinner tonight and on the way home we did a couple of runs on a deserted hyway. I hit the button twice to put it in compettive mode mashed the gas while hitting the stop watch and boy that was fun. Two runs and both were 5.5 seconds 70 degrees in Oklahoma, and I barked the tires both times. It may do better if I just do it in sport mode. I think these numbers are pretty good compared to what some are getting. What do you think?
I'd guess it should run faster with only one person in the car? Every pound makes a difference. So, probably not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
only a couple have probs. Don't worry about it.
It's hard not to worry about it. Those of us waiting on our A6 are following these threads closely. Yes, the odds are in our favor that we won't get one with the "slows." Yes, it is only a few, but it should be none. I'd rather be reading about breaking output shafts on the A6 rather than cars that can occassionaly get sub 6 sec 0-60.

Plus, knowing your about to spend ~40K for a car and you might end up with a car that won't perform as advertised. However few there are, I don't see how you can't worry about it - at least for those of us who are buying it for the performance in addition to the style.
okie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #8
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie2 View Post
It's hard not to worry about it. Those of us waiting on our A6 are following these threads closely. Yes, the odds are in our favor that we won't get one with the "slows." Yes, it is only a few, but it should be none. I'd rather be reading about breaking output shafts on the A6 rather than cars that can occassionaly get sub 6 sec 0-60.

Plus, knowing your about to spend ~40K for a car and you might end up with a car that won't perform as advertised. However few there are, I don't see how you can't worry about it - at least for those of us who are buying it for the performance in addition to the style.
Mine's not here yet. I'm not worrying about it. If there's something wrong, it can be corrected. No big deal. I'm not one to worry about things I can't control. I'll live longer that way.

Many people are murdered or mugged every day. Do you worry about that? I'll bet not. This is insignificant compared to that. Don't sweat it.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #9
okie2

Drives: RJT 2SS
Quote:
Mine's not here yet. I'm not worrying about it. If there's something wrong, it can be corrected. No big deal. I'm not one to worry about things I can't control. I'll live longer that way.

Many people are murdered or mugged every day. Do you worry about that? I'll bet not. This is insignificant compared to that. Don't sweat it.
No doubt, I worry about a great many things I shouldn't. I can't control getting murdered or mugged, but I can decide not to buy this car.

I admire your ability to "not worry." I guess I was just commenting that some of us do, regardless of how insignificant it may be.
okie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #10
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
is there a sport mode in the automatic transmission.. (not manual but sport mode?)

Seems CTS V owners with the automatic trans are finding the transmission starts off in
2nd gear unless in sport mode..

maybe thats whats happening with the camaro SS w/ the automatic transmission..

For the guys with automatic transmissions that are finding the car fast? finding it taking off in first gear whereas the guys who are reporting somewhat slower than expected times taking off in second gear without even knowing it.. ?

Might be something to consider.

Just throwing this out there.

JB
Old 08-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #11
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Pull the shift lever down to M That is sport mode. For manual, just start using paddle shifters with the transmission in M. THat's it
Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:

I'm in awe at your ability to not give a damn. Guess I'll live a shorter life.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
soonerfanru2

Drives: 2ss
wifes not a fat ass

Hey are you guys calling my wife a fat ass I will have to tell her. Just kidding my wife ways 115 soaking wet so I dont think she slowed me down, but come to think about it I did have about 60lb in the trunk so 200lb could help a little.
soonerfanru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfanru2 View Post
Hey are you guys calling my wife a fat ass I will have to tell her. Just kidding my wife ways 115 soaking wet so I dont think she slowed me down, but come to think about it I did have about 60lb in the trunk so 200lb could help a little.

That's a man for you. I didn't even think of that. Guess Bonnies right. I'm an incensitive a$$hole.

Last edited by PQ; 08-01-2009 at 12:20 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote