Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2014 Black M6
Need help - Replacing MyLink with Pioneer and Metra/Scosche

Hi guys,

I got a few posts out here on this forum trying to sort out a problem of mine related to my MyLink with navigation in my 2014 ZL1.

I am bringing the car with me to Sweden where my MyLink navigation won't work (not working outside US/Canada) and the radio is also not working 100% in Sweden, so I am left with 2 options: Change to a european MyLink unit or go with an aftermarket - So I am going with a Pioneer head unit instead.

I have been looking at the Scosche kit but they claim it will not work with my car as it has navigation from factory and it only works with cars that came non-navigation due to the "data systems" (they claim).

Q: Anyone has any input to this?

I have also looked at the Metra kit. According them their kit WILL work with my car. And it does not look too bad actually.

I want to ask you guys with experience...

1. Do you believe I will have any problems using my steeringwheel controls?
2. Will the backup camera work as standard (reverse in -> enable camera)?
3. Will bluetooth mic work?
4. Will all default functions work as today? With Metra? With Scosche?
5. Any known defects with any of the kits?

This is the head unit that I am going to use:

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25...0DAB/page.html

Other comments on either Scosche or the Metra kit that you wish to share?

Has anyone successfully converted a factory navigation equipped car with either a Metra or Scosche kit?

Thank you all!

Currently driving a 2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe.
nickswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Over 50 views but no answers? Come on guys I know you got the hang of this one!

Old 10-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
Exactly what does the Scosche R&D team state about the kit not working? I have mine installed a couple of weeks, with the OEM Mylink/headunit completely removed and have no issues.

Both the Scosche and Metra kits have to replicate some of the OEM body control functions and communicate on the CAN/LIN bus e.g. HVAC, chimes, remote door lock, etc. I envisage that there may be some signalling / bus contentions if you tried to use the kits with the stock head unit, but why would anyone retain the stock head unit in installing a kit?

I can't respond to your other questions, as I am not using an aftermarket head unit, but a PC-based system. It resolves all of your questions and provides more functionality, but that is the subject of a very long build thread that I will post when I have finished the install.

Last edited by NZZL1; 10-01-2014 at 03:41 AM.
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZZL1 View Post
Exactly what does the Scosche R&D team state about the kit not working? I have mine installed a couple of weeks, with the OEM Mylink/headunit completely removed and have no issues.

Both the Scosche and Metra kits have to replicate some of the OEM body control functions and communicate on the CAN/LIN bus e.g. HVAC, chimes, remote door lock, etc. I envisage that there may be some signalling / bus contentions if you tried to use the kits with the stock head unit, but why would anyone retain the stock head unit in installing a kit?

I can't respond to your other questions, as I am not using an aftermarket head unit, but a PC-based system. It resolves all of your questions and provides more functionality, but that is the subject of a very long build thread that I will post when I have finished the install.
This is what Scosche says regarding the questionable compatibility:

Quote:
I’m not 100% sure on the specifics of what makes our kit not compatible with the factory navigation system, but our R&D team has issues with getting the Scosche kit to properly interface with factory nav. equipped vehicles. Unfortunately, we don’t know or are not aware of a way of retrofitting the non nav. radio into the factory nav. equipped vehicle and getting our kit to work. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Gabriel Flores
Technical Support
Scosche Industries, Inc.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
Twilborne

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Blue 2LT
3. Will bluetooth mic work? No, you will use the mic that comes with the new head unit.

2. Will the backup camera work as standard (reverse in -> enable camera)? You will have to install a new camera that works with the head unit or get an adaptor to use the OEM camera. It will work as normal if installed correctly (wired).

4. Will all default functions work as today? With Metra? With Scosche? They will with the Scosche kit. I'm not sure about the Metra.
Twilborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilborne View Post
3. Will bluetooth mic work? No, you will use the mic that comes with the new head unit.

2. Will the backup camera work as standard (reverse in -> enable camera)? You will have to install a new camera that works with the head unit or get an adaptor to use the OEM camera. It will work as normal if installed correctly (wired).

4. Will all default functions work as today? With Metra? With Scosche? They will with the Scosche kit. I'm not sure about the Metra.
Thanks for your replies. How come you cannot use the already installed mic? Isn't the input connector from the mic behind the MyLink system anyway? Or what is the reason you would not be able to exactly?

I will see if I can get hold of that adaptor since I don't tend to replace the original back up camera. Is it a S-video connector or what sort of connector does it use?

Old 10-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickswe View Post
Thanks for your replies. How come you cannot use the already installed mic? Isn't the input connector from the mic behind the MyLink system anyway? Or what is the reason you would not be able to exactly?

I will see if I can get hold of that adaptor since I don't tend to replace the original back up camera. Is it a S-video connector or what sort of connector does it use?
Can't use the factory mic with an aftermarket unit as the mic is hard wired into one of the My Link connectors.

The camera is also hard wired, does not use any type of commercial connector. It still produces a standard video signal, so finding the video signal and ground wires should ley you use the factory camera with an aftermarket deck.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
Can't use the factory mic with an aftermarket unit as the mic is hard wired into one of the My Link connectors.

The camera is also hard wired, does not use any type of commercial connector. It still produces a standard video signal, so finding the video signal and ground wires should ley you use the factory camera with an aftermarket deck.
OK so I'll just get the wiring diagram from GM and break out both mic and camera that way. Who knows there might be someone on here that has already done so.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:04 AM   #9
opossum

Drives: 2013
Hallo,
i have installed the Metra and a Kenwood dnx9210BT in my camaro (2013 european Version). The videosignal of oem backup camara i have found at the harness, that is connected after the oem unit. Its a white harness. The camera works great. The mic what came with Kenwood unit i have installed at the place of factory mic. Works great. The steering wheel control is a Axxess ASWC-1, works great with my kenwood.
The gps antenna is installed under dash on the right side. Then i have changed the Boston amplifier against a Kenwood kac-8406. Very nice. All works great.

Best regards from Germany
opossum
Chevrolet Camaro - V8 - MT - 2013 - European Version - Inferno Orange/ Inferno orange - ACC Sidemarker ghosted - Dash Kit PAC RPK5-GM4101 with DNX8170DABS - Amp KAC-8406 - Sub Pioneer TS-WX110A - Rear- and Front-Camera - ACC Mail Slot Scanner RGB - Pedders Sportsryder - painted parts in engine compartment - black powder coated original rims - H & R wheel plates 20mm front and rear axle - 1 LE steering wheel - MGW Short shifter replacement - aluminum door Pins - ACS T4 Splitter - us-mirrors - ZL1 side rockers - High Wing Spoiler
opossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum View Post
Hallo,
i have installed the Metra and a Kenwood dnx9210BT in my camaro (2013 european Version). The videosignal of oem backup camara i have found at the harness, that is connected after the oem unit. Its a white harness. The camera works great. The mic what came with Kenwood unit i have installed at the place of factory mic. Works great. The steering wheel control is a Axxess ASWC-1, works great with my kenwood.
The gps antenna is installed under dash on the right side. Then i have changed the Boston amplifier against a Kenwood kac-8406. Very nice. All works great.

Best regards from Germany
opossum
Wielen danke!

Did you have the factory navigation in your car? Or was it without navigation?

Where is the factory mic installed? How much did you have to tear the car apart to get access to it to have it replaced with your Kenwood mic?

My GPS antenna is on the roof as a small shark fin. I assume I will be able to use that one. Did you use the Chevrolet GPS antenna? Was it mounted under the dash on the european version?

What is the Axxess ASWC-1? Is it a interface so that your Kenwood works with the factory steering wheel controls?

Thanks from Sweden!

Old 10-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
opossum

Drives: 2013
Hallo,

my camaro where without Navigation. The oem mic is placed at the interior light over the mirror. But you can take the mic from the new unit and place it near by steering wheel ?
Yes, the Axxess ASWC-1 is the Interface for Kenwood unit. Kenwood works with the factory steering wheel controls.

To change the oem radio against aftermarket unit you have to deinstall the complete Center console from your car. Then you can deinstall the oem Radio. After that you con install the scosche kit or Metra kit. Ist not difficult to install but you have to go point for Point at the install manual.

Greetings from Rostock, Germany
opossum
Chevrolet Camaro - V8 - MT - 2013 - European Version - Inferno Orange/ Inferno orange - ACC Sidemarker ghosted - Dash Kit PAC RPK5-GM4101 with DNX8170DABS - Amp KAC-8406 - Sub Pioneer TS-WX110A - Rear- and Front-Camera - ACC Mail Slot Scanner RGB - Pedders Sportsryder - painted parts in engine compartment - black powder coated original rims - H & R wheel plates 20mm front and rear axle - 1 LE steering wheel - MGW Short shifter replacement - aluminum door Pins - ACS T4 Splitter - us-mirrors - ZL1 side rockers - High Wing Spoiler
opossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Once again, thank you "neighbor"