Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 12-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2014 Black M6
First speeding ticket -What outcome?

OK so I was just following traffic as usual in Garland on my way home from work today, and all of a sudden a Garland police officer pulled me ovr for speeding.

I did not really think of speeding, I was just following the flow. Anyways...

I was doing 52 mph on 35 mph according the officer.
I did not have a drivers license on me, as I had to mail it to Sweden for renewal just recently (I only have a Swedish license) but fortunately I had my passport on me to identify myself with.

He gave me a yellow speeding ticket slip with two items on it:

A) Speeding: 52 on 35 mph.
B) No valid license.

He showed me a number I am supposed to call within 12 days to schedule a date for when to be in court. And he said that I might not have to get any outcome at all if I do not have any earlier tickets or evictions on me (which I dont - not here in the US - but I got a speeding ticket in Sweden though).

What is the normal outcome from a speeding like this? It was on a normal street so no school zone or anything.

Since I do have a valid license that I just have to show up for the court, I do not have to worry about that one I´m assuming.

What do you Texas guys think?

Currently driving a 2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe.
nickswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
First speeding ticket -What outcome?

Sounds like my same issue I've had. In some cities they drop the speed down to 35 from 45-55 which is the usual else where. Speed trap.

Since your not staying in the states and don't have a Texas DL, I would just pay the fine for the speeding.

As for your DL... Your Swedish license should be good for up to one year. Can you get a copy of it sent to you? Then explain to the judge your situation and provide the copy. Bring your passport but you'll need to show you have a DL somehow. Hope they let you off the hook with that one.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
Sounds like my same issue I've had. In some cities they drop the speed down to 35 from 45-55 which is the usual else where. Speed trap.

Since your not staying in the states and don't have a Texas DL, I would just pay the fine for the speeding.

As for your DL... Your Swedish license should be good for up to one year. Can you get a copy of it sent to you? Then explain to the judge your situation and provide the copy. Bring your passport but you'll need to show you have a DL somehow. Hope they let you off the hook with that one.
Thanks for the reply.

The thing is that I am leaving to Sweden tomorrow, and will not be back in Texas until January 10th. I called the Garland court now but it did not really make any sense. I just want to let them know that I want to pay for the fine and be good with it, but I do not want to be charged for No valid DL, since I do have a valid DL but did not have it on me at the time of the ticket.

My hope is that I can call them and notice them that I will be in Sweden and be back in January and will come by with my DL and pay the ticket.

By the way, how much is normally a ticket like this? $300?

And I read a lot about people saying that you should pay an extra $50 for for Deferred adjuaction to keep your records clean. But in my case I have a Swedish license, this should not matter right? I dont have a record here so I cannot get a point on my license since I dont have one.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
nick,

screw garland.....just don't pay them. just kidding, I would pay the ticket and be done. BTW, did you ask the cop if he had his radar add and has a copy or note of the exact speed?

Loop
Old 12-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickswe View Post
What is the normal outcome from a speeding like this?
You pay for the ticket and get your licence in order. Then you start to realize you drive a cop magnet and make notice of every speed limit sign.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

The thing is that I am leaving to Sweden tomorrow, and will not be back in Texas until January 10th. I called the Garland court now but it did not really make any sense. I just want to let them know that I want to pay for the fine and be good with it, but I do not want to be charged for No valid DL, since I do have a valid DL but did not have it on me at the time of the ticket.

My hope is that I can call them and notice them that I will be in Sweden and be back in January and will come by with my DL and pay the ticket.

By the way, how much is normally a ticket like this? $300?

And I read a lot about people saying that you should pay an extra $50 for for Deferred adjuaction to keep your records clean. But in my case I have a Swedish license, this should not matter right? I dont have a record here so I cannot get a point on my license since I dont have one.

Call them and set the court date till after you come back.

Since you don't have a TX DL and not planning to stay, I don't think it's worth doing deferred. That only helps us keep our DL record clean.

They should allow you to pay when you come back and I am sure if you bring the Swedish DL they will waive that fine.

Call me if you need help. I've been through it plenty of times.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #7
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
in many cities you can hire a traffic ticket attorney and they will plead it down to an equipment violation which will not go on your driving record. Generally you end up paying the attorney what the city would get.

Otherwise they send Swedes to prison in Texas, they don't mess around in Garland.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Bring the Swedish Beach Volleyball team with you when you go to court. Charges will be dismissed.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
Call them and set the court date till after you come back.

Since you don't have a TX DL and not planning to stay, I don't think it's worth doing deferred. That only helps us keep our DL record clean.

They should allow you to pay when you come back and I am sure if you bring the Swedish DL they will waive that fine.

Call me if you need help. I've been through it plenty of times.

My idea is to call them on Monday when I'm in Sweden and try to schedule for the court date in mid january and then go there and show my Swedish DL to have the second charge for No valid DL dismissed completely, and then just pay for the speeding ticket.

Because the 14 days the police officer talked about was that you have to schedule a court date within those 14 days, correct?

Thanks buddy!

Old 12-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #10
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I think that even though you have a valid license the ticket is for not having a valid license on your person while operating a motor vehicle. In the States you have to have it with you while driving, or you get a ticket. You may be able to plead it, but don't count on it.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:38 AM   #11
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
I think that even though you have a valid license the ticket is for not having a valid license on your person while operating a motor vehicle. In the States you have to have it with you while driving, or you get a ticket. You may be able to plead it, but don't count on it.
OK I am just referring to what the officer told me. He said I should bring the DL with me and prove its validity and it should be fine he said. Maybe it's false information then.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #12
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Quote:
OK I am just referring to what the officer told me. He said I should bring the DL with me and prove its validity and it should be fine he said. Maybe it's false information then.

Office is right. Most of the time the judge will dismiss the fine if you did have a valid DL at the time of the violation which you do. You'll just have to prove it in court to the judge by bringing it with you
Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
Shifty
One Shot, One Kill

Drives: 14 1LE
The 14 days is the time it takes the officer to turn in the ticket to be submitted to the court for processing. Still call before that to schedule a court date for after you come back.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Traffic Attorney:
http://www.thetexastrafficattorney.com/