Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
65bus

Drives: 92 Z28, 72 Chevy truck, 65 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to 65bus
Camaro V6 vrs Cobalt SS???

Is there something that needs to be said about GM WOOHOOO maybie, finally getting all this cool stuff :party0038: . The new Cobalt SS is 260hp/260lbft gm says 0-60 in5.7 seconds but car and driver r&t says 0-60 in 5.5
(Cobalt SS 5.5,14.0@101.8) nd still gets 22-30 mpg
hope this isnt a But i had to share the news, oh ya also C&D said theres no comparison to the SS

Not real sure what the V6 Camaro will do but it sure will be interesting to find out being the Cobalts numbers
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...alt_ss_feature
65bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
That article fails to mention that the New Cobalt SS corners nearly 1G like the corvette....

Nice car - We delivered two already, to two students who won them in a mechanic's competition, courtesy of Chevy.

http://www.adamm.org/ANM32/absoluten...a=37&print=yes

CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
lucky kids!
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
That article fails to mention that the New Cobalt SS corners nearly 1G like the corvette....

From Edmunds Inside Line, gives a 0.89g skidpad acceleration.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=137007
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
Old 07-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
From Edmunds Inside Line, gives a 0.89g skidpad acceleration.
cool.

Now, the Civic-boyees can be scared.

Civic Si = 0.897g skidpad acceleration

Eventually there will be a straightaway and almost 200 N/A hp is not going to save the Civic from it's 63 hp shortcoming

years of bowtie fans suffering through with the Cavalier may finally be rewarded (1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 0.79 skidpad)

You can also (allegedly) kep your right foot buried in the throttle when you upshift. "No-lift shift"

But can I please have mine without that gawd-awful Super Ricer Pep Boys special rear spoiler?

At least it's not as bad as the Neon SRT/4's ass-wing
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I wish edmunds or somebody put it against the Caliber srt4, now thats a match I would pay to see, If I had money

now to be on topic, as long as you keep that stick handy, the maro has the edge

question: do the SS cobalt have a MT

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
But can I please have mine without that gawd-awful Super Ricer Pep Boys special rear spoiler?
Yes, it is now just an option, they now come stock with the low spoiler.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #8
camaro_burns_all

Drives: 04 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
cool.

Now, the Civic-boyees can be scared.

Civic Si = 0.897g skidpad acceleration

Eventually there will be a straightaway and almost 200 N/A hp is not going to save the Civic from it's 63 hp shortcoming

years of bowtie fans suffering through with the Cavalier may finally be rewarded (1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 0.79 skidpad)

You can also (allegedly) kep your right foot buried in the throttle when you upshift. "No-lift shift"

At least it's not as bad as the Neon SRT/4's ass-wing

sorry buddy, but Honda Engineers are pushing 200hp in a N/A car. Turbo charge those new Civic Si, and they will be pushing near 300hp.

Turbo Cobalt vs Turbo Si, the Si will take it.

The only reason Honda doesn't boost there civic, because civics are known for longetivity and honda wants to keep it that way
camaro_burns_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Edmunds is one of the worst reviewers of cars ever. When the Sky and Solstice came out they claimed it took them 10 minutes to lower the top... LOL It can be done in less than 30 seconds.. I think these guys all HATE American cars with a passion... I vowed to never read another Edmunds review again.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_burns_all View Post
sorry buddy, but Honda Engineers are pushing 200hp in a N/A car. Turbo charge those new Civic Si, and they will be pushing near 300hp.

The only reason Honda doesn't boost there civic, because civics are known for longetivity and honda wants to keep it that way

The reason they don`t do it is compression. A NA car making high hp per liter is normally high compression. High compression does not lend itself well to boost. You may be able to run enough boost on the civic to run 300hp, but do you realize how much more boost the low compression Cobalt motor thats already at 260 can make? It will be a beast for what it is. Modded it will probably lay low a stock Camaro SS...
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #11
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
The reason they don`t do it is compression. A NA car making high hp per liter is normally high compression. High compression does not lend itself well to boost. You may be able to run enough boost on the civic to run 300hp, but do you realize how much more boost the low compression Cobalt motor thats already at 260 can make? It will be a beast for what it is. Modded it will probably lay low a stock Camaro SS...
I believe it was Motor Trend or C&D that recently did a test of cars for price, gas mileage, and performance and the SS won. It had a higher speed in the slalom than a Z51 Corvette and holds the record for a front wheel drive car at the Ring. The quote in the article said that to say it is the best handling front wheel drive car is an understatement, it is one of the best period.

Not bad for a car you can get with limited slip for $23k and change.

I have the SS/SC and love the thing, I get 32 mpg going back and forth to work, etc. But they did a lot of work on the Ring with the TC version and made it even better.

The beauty of the car is that it is much more V8 like in its performance, there is decent low end torque and little or no lag.

The Honda motor is a beautiful piece of work, but it is peaky engine that needs lot of revs. One of the other reviews said that if you get caught by a kid in his mom's van and you are at 3 grand, and not at 6 grand, he will lay you to waste.

Its a different philosophy and both have their place, but I love how Chevy has made the Cobalt SS (yes, you can get it without the ricer wing now thank goodness) drive more like a small block. My SS/SC has as much horspower but not as much torque as the TPI in my IROC, but the car is much smaller and pulls more Gs. The turbo takes it a step further.
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #12
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_burns_all View Post

But there's just one problem.

You have to slap on that warranty killing aftermarket turbo.

The Si's handling and quality shone through vs the VW GTi overcoming it's torque shortcoming and truthfully, the S/C'd Cobalt was still a little short. It's going to need more than that vs a 260 hp turbo Cobalt

I would have purchased an Si to replace my 200,000 mile Integra GS-R except:

Honda priced me out. I have a hard enough time accepting the 21K sticker price and then the dealer's mark them up another 5-6K.

...and I wanted a new car and the Camaro was still just a concept.

Honda has not had good fortune with it's turbocharged engines.

The CX500T and CX650T were only marginally quicker than Yamaha's Turbo Seca. The Seca was wonderfully simple and a quick modification opened up a LOT more power (for a top heavy shaft driven air-cooled 2 valver) The Hondas were heavy and complex and the average tuner could not extract any more power from them. The Kawi GPz750 turbo came and ruined everybody's party by just dominating all.

The current RDX fuel consumption is as high as it's V6 competition. Published comparos continually pick the X3 and other crossovers like the CX9 over Honda's turbo luxury crossover.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
I am assuming the question here is which will perform better, the Camaro V6 or the Cobalt SS. I think the Cobalt SS will be the better performer all round. It might even have it in a straightline too.

The new Cobalt SS can do the 1/4 mile in 14.0 @ 101 mph. I don't see the Camaro V6 pulling a 14.0 @ 101 easily with its 3741 lbs of weight, and a 3.27:1 rear end.....even with 300 bhp. Could be close though.

I am just really impressed with the new Cobalt SS

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
topgun1

yeah, the Cobalt SS has really surprised me how well it performs.