Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
2018 vs. 2019 1LE - Infotainment Upgrade Worth It?

Hello,

Depending on the price, I am now considering a 2018 1LE instead of a 2019 since as far as I can tell the only difference is the infotainment and the rear end design (which I actually like better on the 2018).

Question is, if I will primarily be using Android Auto is there any benefit to the new 2019 infotainment system? I can't find much info on it but some have said it's higher resolution which would be nice.

Are there any other concerns buying a 2018? Was the headliner issue resolved in the 2018 or not until 2019?

Appreciate any thoughts.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
About the only thing that bugs me about my 2018’s infotainment system is that the wireless charging doesn’t work with iPhones. I guess and that CarPlay is only available when connected via cable. I believe both of these things have been fixed for 2019.

Maybe some others that have owned both can add to this. Neither of these things would deter me from buying an 18 today. Some of the new color options might make me want a 19, but that’s about it.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
The carplay and android auto apps work much better on the 19's. I turned all that off on the 2018 because it drove me nuts. Now the 1st thing I do is plug up my phone and it's seamless now.

Bottom line is, it's a nice upgrade.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
Is the rear view mirror camera on the 2018's? I drove a 2019 this weekend and that is a very nice feature.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
Is the rear view mirror camera on the 2018's? I drove a 2019 this weekend and that is a very nice feature.
It's eliminated in the 1LE due to the wing so it's not a consideration...I agree if I was getting a regular ZL1 that I would lean to the 2019 for this feature alone.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
About the only thing that bugs me about my 2018’s infotainment system is that the wireless charging doesn’t work with iPhones. I guess and that CarPlay is only available when connected via cable. I believe both of these things have been fixed for 2019.

Maybe some others that have owned both can add to this. Neither of these things would deter me from buying an 18 today. Some of the new color options might make me want a 19, but that’s about it.
I never use Carplay only Android Auto, and I thought that due to Bluetooth bandwidth issues that NO cars could do Carplay/AA without a physical cable connection? Are you saying in the 2019 that Android Auto works without a cable connection?

Also I would also only need wireless charging to work with my Note 8 (which might be physically too large to fit on the pad and have it stay/work properly anyway), and if I have to have it physically plugged in for AA to work then it's a moot point regardless.

I think it's probably just going to hinge on how good a discount I can get on a 2018 vs. ordering a 2019 or finding one on a lot that they want to deal on. If it's several thousand difference I might put up with any 2018 infotainment quirks...it's not going to be a daily anyway.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #7
gotswap

My mind was set on getting the PDR but after driving with that camera, it is a must. It completely eliminated any blind spots.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
There’s a thread regarding the charging issues, I believe you can retrofit either a different or newer version of it to our system, it’s demonstrated in a Chevy suv.

I find the charger to be finicky as to how the phone is placed on the charger, even the direction of placement makes a difference with my Motorola Droid.
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANACO View Post
There’s a thread regarding the charging issues, I believe you can retrofit either a different or newer version of it to our system, it’s demonstrated in a Chevy suv.

I find the charger to be finicky as to how the phone is placed on the charger, even the direction of placement makes a difference with my Motorola Droid.
What keeps the phone from flying off it as you drive?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
My mind was set on getting the PDR but after driving with that camera, it is a must. It completely eliminated any blind spots.
I think we are talking about different things. The 2019 video rearview mirror is eliminated in the 1LE whether you have the PDR or not, as the larger rear wing doesn't have a provision for the camera (the ZL1 camera is in the lower wing assembly).

I do understand that the PDR eliminates the front collision warning system, are you saying there is also a front facing parking camera that is eliminated with the PDR? I wasn't aware of that, I thought only the C7 Vette had the forward facing park assist cameras?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
gotswap

No, I am talking just the ZL1 where the rear view mirror is also a rear camera. These are not an option on the ZLE and is eliminated with the PDR. I am not aware of an option for a forward facing camera
Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #12
ScottMZ3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 2019 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
I never use Carplay only Android Auto, and I thought that due to Bluetooth bandwidth issues that NO cars could do Carplay/AA without a physical cable connection? Are you saying in the 2019 that Android Auto works without a cable connection?

Also I would also only need wireless charging to work with my Note 8 (which might be physically too large to fit on the pad and have it stay/work properly anyway), and if I have to have it physically plugged in for AA to work then it's a moot point regardless.

I think it's probably just going to hinge on how good a discount I can get on a 2018 vs. ordering a 2019 or finding one on a lot that they want to deal on. If it's several thousand difference I might put up with any 2018 infotainment quirks...it's not going to be a daily anyway.

Wireless CarPlay is done via a WiFi connection, not BT...that way it has far greater bandwidth. We have the wireless CarPlay on our '19 BMW X5 and it works great.

I'm not sure if Chevy has added wireless CarPlay to the Camaro (or any cars yet). I believe only BMW and Audi have it available.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #13
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Wireless CarPlay is done via a WiFi connection, not BT...that way it has far greater bandwidth. We have the wireless CarPlay on our '19 BMW X5 and it works great.

I'm not sure if Chevy has added wireless CarPlay to the Camaro (or any cars yet). I believe only BMW and Audi have it available.
Any idea whether it's exclusive to Carplay or if it works for Carplay would it also work for Android Auto?

EDIT: Did some sleuthing, apparently almost nothing supports wireless Android Auto yet, including the phones.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Android Auto and Carplay both work great from 2016 and up. I dont think that should weigh in at all. To be honest, I've never looked at my screen and wished for higher res either, although i'd gladly take it cuz i've been trained that more pixels = better. If you plan on using either, the experience in infotainment will be largely the same. If you plan on using the baked in stuff from chevy, the newer infotainment looks nice, but again, I've never had any issues with the infotainment on my 2016. I like it better than our 2019 Pilot.

I do not believe chevy has wireless carplay or AA, I think BMW is one of the only ones who are doing it, and it is only AA.

If you're getting a 19, the biggest factor will be looks and price. I would imagine the 18s will be priced lower.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote