Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #43
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
That insert looks sweet. Much less of an angle which i'm sure helps smooth the flow out even more. Like the old addage says, if you're not breaking stuff, you're not making enough power. Since you're getting knock, you're apparently flowing more air. Are you sure the gains aren't weather related? Good to see companies use information to better their products instead of resting on their laurels.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #44
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
That insert looks sweet. Much less of an angle which i'm sure helps smooth the flow out even more. Like the old addage says, if you're not breaking stuff, you're not making enough power. Since you're getting knock, you're apparently flowing more air. Are you sure the gains aren't weather related? Good to see companies use information to better their products instead of resting on their laurels.
We thought the entry would make a little more difference than it did. I agree- the knock is probably from the car leaning out with the additional air flow. It's important to note that after a good drive/learn the knock went down and the power went up. It takes a little time for the engine management system to adjust to the additional air.
The testing on this thread has taken place in the last 10 days. In the first dyno session we started with the Roto-fab, switched to the stock, back to Roto-fab, etc. Ambient temps for both intakes were about the same as we switched back and forth throughout the day. In the second day of testing we went from the stock to the Roto-fab since the car had a stock intake on it already. In the latter test, ambient was appr. 6 degrees higher as our intake went on later in the morning as it was warming up.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #45
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Insert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
We thought the entry would make a little more difference than it did. I agree- the knock is probably from the car leaning out with the additional air flow. It's important to note that after a good drive/learn the knock went down and the power went up. It takes a little time for the engine management system to adjust to the additional air.
The testing on this thread has taken place in the last 10 days. In the first dyno session we started with the Roto-fab, switched to the stock, back to Roto-fab, etc. Ambient temps for both intakes were about the same as we switched back and forth throughout the day. In the second day of testing we went from the stock to the Roto-fab since the car had a stock intake on it already. In the latter test, ambient was appr. 6 degrees higher as our intake went on later in the morning as it was warming up.
Will the insert be available at some point?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #46
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
While the results don't look massive when you say it as a 2hp gain, you're talking about a CAI that gives you around a 10-15hp gain, so you're actually making your product ~15% better.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #47
Tanner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partick View Post

Sands - Surprise
Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #48
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Yeah! Let us know about if you can refine that knock out and will make the plug availiable as a retrofit!

I have until next May till the snow melts and I can drive again, so I have nothing but time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
Old 11-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #49
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
I'm very satisfied with my roto-fab. Well done guys.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #50
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Yeah! Let us know about if you can refine that knock out and will make the plug availiable as a retrofit!

I have until next May till the snow melts and I can drive again, so I have nothing but time!

We are making some minor changes to the housing itself, but we don't plan on offering a plug to retrofit. It was strictly a test piece to see if we wanted to make a design change.
Our dyno testing showed knock on the initial runs...even with our test plug. That's why we did the drive/learn on the dyno. Once the system adjusted to the differences the knock #s went down and the power #s up.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #51
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
3M Clear Bra

Stang Killer,
I am very interested in the Clear Bra. I suppose photos wouldn't help (invisible), but what can you tell me about the fit, looks and install?
Alfie
Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #52
Partick

Quote:
We are making some minor changes to the housing itself, but we don't plan on offering a plug to retrofit. It was strictly a test piece to see if we wanted to make a design change.
Our dyno testing showed knock on the initial runs...even with our test plug. That's why we did the drive/learn on the dyno. Once the system adjusted to the differences the knock #s went down and the power #s up.
Will the updated housing be available as a seperate piece so we can upgrade from the existing one? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #53
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Will the updated housing be available as a seperate piece so we can upgrade from the existing one? Thanks!
Patrick,
Although we did make minor changes, I wouldn't consider the changes to be enough to warrant replacing your existing piece. We didn't make a drastic change-just a slight increase of the radius and a little smoother transition. The test plug was going overboard the other way. When testing, it's sometimes best to make a more drastic change in a given direction because it becomes easier to test the concept and recognize the differences between the original and the prototype.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #54
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Which filter type

I have a question on the Roto-Fab unit and I think this was answered once before but I can't find it.

I know your system comes with an oiled filter but you also offer a dry filter. I've heard where some people say the oiled filter can mess up the MAF (?) or something like that. Have you seen this issue with your unit on cars over the long term. Is it better to go with the dry filter? Are they any performance gains one way or the other? If I went with a dry filter, how long do they typically last before needing to be replaced (I know different driving conditions and different parts of the US make a difference on longevity)?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 11-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #55
Partick

Quote:
Patrick,
Although we did make minor changes, I wouldn't consider the changes to be enough to warrant replacing your existing piece. We didn't make a drastic change-just a slight increase of the radius and a little smoother transition. The test plug was going overboard the other way. When testing, it's sometimes best to make a more drastic change in a given direction because it becomes easier to test the concept and recognize the differences between the original and the prototype.
Thanks for the response, glad to see your dedication to making your products better and I am very pleaseed with mine and proudly show it off every chance I get.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #56
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I have a question on the Roto-Fab unit and I think this was answered once before but I can't find it.

I know your system comes with an oiled filter but you also offer a dry filter. I've heard where some people say the oiled filter can mess up the MAF (?) or something like that. Have you seen this issue with your unit on cars over the long term. Is it better to go with the dry filter? Are they any performance gains one way or the other? If I went with a dry filter, how long do they typically last before needing to be replaced (I know different driving conditions and different parts of the US make a difference on longevity)?
Good questions caverman. Dry vs wet...I was going to ask those exact same questions.

Victory Reds must think alike!
Alfie

Last edited by alfie43; 11-06-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Closed Thread